01 TDi noisy bearings ? - DuncanSuperb
Standard Y reg Focus Tdi LX at 60k miles. Increasingly noisey hum from mid-centre at higher speeds. Not wheel bearings. At a recent MOT/oil service the mechanic suggested 'engine' bearings. I nodded blankly and booked the car back in for next week. Now wish I'd have queried further what this means and likely cost. Does anyone have any experience of this or offer suggested translation? Thanks.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 02/01/2008 at 16:06

01 TDi noisy bearings ? - Screwloose
Duncan

When you say "not wheel bearings," is this because they've already been replaced?

"Engine bearings" is a meaningless term. That could mean anything from the belt idler to the crank bearings - and that's unlikely.
The wheel bearing haven't been replaced but the mechanic didn't believe that the hum is conducive with wheel bearings as the noise seems to come from a more central source.

I can't remember exactly what he said about the likely source but could it be driveshaft bearings or gearbox bearings? I guess I'll just have to wait until it goes back in for a more thorough investigation next week.

The indie garage has generally been ok and their prices seem genuine - i recently paid £140 for a timing belt chage. The local Main dealer had quoted £260.
01 TDi noisy bearings ? - Peter D
The 'Hum' if it was engine related would change with RPM but a drive chain noise would change with road speed. Can you describe the noise and the speeds and wether it does it in neutral but whilst travelling. Regards Peter
Further the mechanic appears to have heard the noise whilst doing the MOT/oil change not on a road test. I starting to think cam belt tensioner or aux belt/ alternator. Regards Peter
Peter, the mechanic agreed about the noise when he took the car to be MOT'd (I brought it to his attention when I left the car with him). Also the timing belt was replaced at the same visit so not that.

The noise definitely increases with speed rather than RPM and is not noticable below about 40mph. It does seem to diminish however if I clutch-travel (at speed) but remember this is a pretty agricultural diesel so not the quietest of cars.

....... 5 mins later.......

Ok, just rang the bloke up to get him to repeat what he said. He said they think it is the Drive Shaft bearing (on the driver's side) - apparently it is located half way along the shaft between gear box and wheel ?? Damn, I should have got him to quote.....

Any suggestions on likely cost? No prizes for the nearest but I'll reveal the answer next Tuesday.
01 TDi noisy bearings ? - Peter.N.
There are very few things apart from the wheel bearings that will vary the noise at road speed, but the centre driveshaft bearing is one of them, so I would think it quite likely that his diagnosis is correct. Its not to difficult a job, it entails removing the o/s drive shaft then removing the old and fitting the new bearing bearing. I don't know what your car is like to work on but it's not to difficult on my Citroen XM, not the easiest car to work on!
Yep that's a 'Sealed for Life' bearing and clearly Life is up. However you comment about the noise reducing when freeweheeling might suggest it is in fact a diff/drive shaft gearbox bearing but he will know that by listening the the bearing housing. Not too bad then. Regards Peter
01 TDi noisy bearings ? - bikerider
Pound to a pinch it's the o/s drive shaft centre bearing causing the problem
Well, we'll never know now because as of Friday the car is no longer.....

It tried to mate with a 40 tonne artic and curiously came off rather worse. Fortunately the driver walked away. More of this in due course on the discussion board when I take the opportunity to banter about the RTA and of course the possible replacements....
Freq reader. Rare to write.
01 TDi noisy bearings ? - henry k
>>Freq reader. Rare to write.
But thanks for updating us.
01 TDi noisy bearings ? - Pugugly {P}
Don't mention your "rumblings" to the man from the Insurance !