Whatever happened to the weaver bird? - bogush
When I wer a lad there used to be open road on the motorways, well, the motorway. And public information cartoons educating the public not to weave in and out of traffic, switching between lanes unneccesarily.

Now, with nose to tail traffic, and some motorways even having the inside lane closed between exit and entrance sliproads to stop you weaving in and out of traffic and switching between lanes: all we hear is "pull over to the left as quickly as possible" (NOT "when it's safe to do so").

Might work if people knew when it was safe to do so. Might work if people knew to leave a safe gap behind them, plus their car length, plus room to safely gain on the next vehicle, plus a safe gap in front (any guesses at the total for say 70mph?).

But as most of the current flock of weaver birds don't seem to recognise that they haven't left enough room behind from the crunching sound from their rear wing, or that they haven't left enough infront from the crunching sound from their front wing I don't hold out much hope. Then again, if if both their wings have been so badly crunched and twisted out of position, you can hardly blame them for being so erratic.

Any comments, anyone?
Re: Whatever happened to the weaver bird? - Brian
It is not only the motorways where this happens. Any road with more than one lane in London has a minority indulging in "lane knitting". They are in their element on a three-lane one-way street where they can have used all three lanes in a hundred yards.
And if there is only one lane they will happily use the opposite carriageway, including going round islands and through traffic lights on the wrong side.
Addendum to the above.
On the way in to work this morning in the Camden Road, north London, I watched a motorcycle jump lights that had been red for a few seconds, on the wrong side of the road i.e. going to the offside of the islands, and miss being taken out by the car emerging perfectly legitimately from the left by a matter of inches.
Re: Whatever happened to the weaver bird? - John Kenyon
Brian wrote:
>
> Addendum to the above.
> On the way in to work this morning in the Camden Road, north
> London, I watched a motorcycle jump lights that had been red
> for a few seconds, on the wrong side of the road i.e. going
> to the offside of the islands, and miss being taken out by
> the car emerging perfectly legitimately from the left by a
> matter of inches.

How long were the skid marks? (In the bikers leathers I mean't!)

:o)
Not as long as the s..t marks down the car driver's trousers !