Compensation, because of speed bumps - milkyjoe
i recollect that some years ago when speed bumps were introduced en masse that a particular make of car wasn't able to negotiate speed bumps and therefore registered keepers were compensated by local authorities for this predicament, i cant think what the car was but it had a very low ride height and extremely long wheelbase , with corrugated type panelling and usually green in colour and no roof if i recall ... does any one know what car im trying to define ... thanks..mj

there was no easy way to edit the replies on this so the lot have gone, can we try to answer without the sarcasm perceived by the OP in his previous attempt to get a reply !

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 01/01/2008 at 18:40

Compensation, because of speed bumps - Alby Back
Couldn't have been a Mini-Moke could it ? No roof, often green and with ( I think ) sort of corrugated/ish side panels ?
Compensation, because of speed bumps - Pugugly {P}
Citroen HY van ?
Compensation, because of speed bumps - Lud
What is all this crazed hatchet work PU?

This isn't a court of law you know. A bit more rationality if you please.

It was impossible due to the way that replies were linked together, I was trying to iron, watch telly and moderate a spamming advertiser at the same time, oh yes and use my mobile, ended up with a burnt ear

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 01/01/2008 at 20:59

Compensation, because of speed bumps - Kuang
There was an old Volkswagen based thing that had corrugated sides, but the name escapes me. I can't imagine there being enough is them to cause an outcry among owners though.
Compensation, because of speed bumps - Cheeky
I'd imagine the drivers of mainy mainstream cars would weclome compensation to cover worn ball joints, knackered suspension arms and all other associated suspension problems due to these stupid things.
Wheel alignment and tracking also.... They are an absolute thorn in the side, especially the cheap and nasty plastic variety. Sends shockwaves through the car unless you stop before going over, and then crawl slower than walking pace.

I'm not a violent man but I would gladly run over, then reverse back over any council official installing these... probably do less wear to my suspension components.

Oh, happy new year by the way!!
Compensation, because of speed bumps - Ruperts Trooper
Citroen Mehari was a 2CV 4x4 but should have been capable of handling speed bumps
Compensation, because of speed bumps - Pugugly {P}
I'd have thought that any 2CV derivation would have been able to due to the length of suspension travel.
Compensation, because of speed bumps - rtj70
Some days the speed I see normal cars take speed humps I really do wonder on driver mentality - they nearly hit the front of the car on the road. So an old car with problems claiming compensation.... could be driver error. Remember the Top Gear supercar episode when they couldn't get out of a Paris car park?

We have lots of speed humps on our road now (good) and has slowed down most cars - killed one of our cats with high speed cars.

Chitty Chitty Bang Bang (replica) reg GEN 22 had no problems today. It drove down the street many times ;-)
Compensation, because of speed bumps - Lud
would have been able to due to the
length of suspension travel.

You would think so PU but any 2CV owner would tell you different. I never went in any 2CV variant that had what you would call serious damping. They were great over small ripples and the like, cobbles for example, but there was nothing to stop the car pitching violently in a fore-and-aft way. Certain kinds of big bump, like speed bumps, could catch them out terribly. The result if all went badly was a combination of violent pitching and road contour that banged the front crossmember - not the sump which was prudently protected by the crossmember - on the road. I'm surprised no other former 2CV owner has chimed in to support this. Perhaps they are just ashamed of themselves for ever having done it. I certainly am. But we all live with shame, innit?
Compensation, because of speed bumps - Armitage Shanks {p}
It will never happen but it should be possible to negotiate any speed control device at, or below, the speed it is trying to enforce. Any speed hump/bump/cushion in a 20 mph zone should be negotiable at 20 mph without discomfort or damage to one's vehicle. Now going outside to look for a squadron of flying pigs! Happy New Year to all readers!
Compensation, because of speed bumps - barchettaman
....with corrugated type panelling and usually green in colour and no roof if i recall ....

Kugelwagen? No problem with the ride height. Milky, did you dream this up? :-)
Compensation, because of speed bumps - Alby Back
I'm definately going with Mini-Moke.

Final Answer !
Don't need 50/50
Don't need to phone a friend

Mini-Moke
Compensation, because of speed bumps - sierraman
....with corrugated type panelling and usually green in colour and no roof if i recall
Kugelwagen? No problem with the ride height. Milky did you dream this up? :-)

Kubelwagen,VW Beetle based WW2 German military vehicle,as stated should not have a problem clearing bumps.
Compensation, because of speed bumps - milkyjoe
Kugelwagen? No problem with the ride height. Milky did you dream this up? :-)

no... tho it may of only made a local news story , must be 20 or so years ago , the vehicle in question i guess would have been built in the late 60/ early 70 i think, it reminds me of the cars they had in the " prisoner" but obviously not brightly painted
Compensation, because of speed bumps - sierraman
'I'm surprised no other former 2CV owner has chimed in to support this. Perhaps they are just ashamed of themselves for ever having done it. I certainly am. But we all live with shame, innit? '

When I lived down a rough track,which destroyed ordinary cars,I had a 2CV van,I am not ashamed,it was the best vehicle I had for the purpose,a 4x4 then was a Landrover.There were no speed bumps in those days,so I can't comment.
Compensation, because of speed bumps - David Horn
Speaking of speed bumps - is there any obligation on a local authority to put up signs saying that there might be speed bumps ahead?

Driving through a pokey Oxfordshire village last night about about 11pm, sticking to the 30mph limit, I went through a green traffic light. Normal, you might think- normal in every way except it's a speed bump disguised as a traffic light.

No warning, no realisation at night on dipped beam because the chevrons have worn away, and it hurts when you hit it at 30mph. Just enough time to think "What th-" and then KERSPLAT.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/01/2008 at 10:45