£1000 for a Jag can it be done - Harry Pearce
Hello,

Can anyone advice Ive got a £1000 to spend on a Jag is it worth getting one at that price or am I just wasting my time?? Can anyone recommend which model etc. How much will it cost me for spare parts if goes wrong? I love jags just want to careful.

Thanks
£1000 for a Jag can it be done - Big Bad Dave
Go for it, get one with 12 months MOT and hope you have a problem free year.
£1000 for a Jag can it be done - stunorthants26
The simple answer is yes, you can buy a useable Jag for that money BUT its a minefield.

I bought a 93 K reg 3.2 auto for £1000 which had 153k on the clock, owned by an old boy who just used to run it down the pub. He had obviously had a few bumps so the bumpers were bent, but an afternoon hammering the bumpers back into shape sorted that.
The only problem I had was that the brake pads warning light came on but it was just a matter of the sensor not being reset apparently as the pads were new.
It did have quite alot of rusty spots but nothing serious - that said, look for rust free if you can.

I sold mine on for £150 profit.

The general advice is, buy the newest you can esp avoiding late 80's and look for the revised versions which are more reliable.
Be aware that fuel consumption can drop to 15 mpg. 3.2 is cheap insurance for the type of car which was why I chose one.
£1000 for a Jag can it be done - 1066
ive often fancied a jag for about 1000.

3.2 would be my choice. dozens on ebay for little money.
go on and give it a try so i don't have to.
£1000 for a Jag can it be done - barchettaman
www.jaguarforums.com/forumid_30/tt.htm

Jag forum for the XJ 40

www.oldclassiccar.co.uk/buyers_guide_jag_xj40.htm

Buyers guide.

£1000 for a Jag can it be done - jag
now then harry, if you were harriet, mid twenties, legs up to oxters and a rich daddy due to expire you could have me for £1000. on the other hand the wife would give me away for nowt as i'm well past my sell by date. jag.
£1000 for a Jag can it be done - Cheeky
Go for it...! Shop around, there are plenty available, and go for the tidiest and most unabused model you can find. With a little TLC these go on for ever. Keep some spare £££ in the bank though as you are bound to fine little mechanical issues that need sorting once its yours. If something big goes bang!, you've only lost £1000 which is a HUGE amount of car for the money. Good luck, and enjoy
£1000 for a Jag can it be done - quizman
>>>153k on the clock, owned by an old boy who just used to run it down the pub.

Crikey, he must have gone to the pub alot.
£1000 for a Jag can it be done - stunorthants26
It was ten years old at the time. Had only done 8k in last 3 years. He did go down the pub every night mind you.