Nearly trashed my car - TimOrridge
Hi BR's

Just a friendly word of warning for motorists over the next few months while weather/road conditions is poor.

Driving to work this morning on a road I always go down 60mph country road and going into a shallow right hander at the speed limit and for no reason the back broke loose and car slid into a 45 degree angle with front end on other side. I managed to get the front round by dabbing brake and steering into skid but i'm a very lucky person today. I doesnt bear thinking about if another car was coming my way. The road appeared dry with soft verges at edge of road, it is possible the my rear tire caught one of these verges and caused the skid.

Well damage none really apart from some stubborn tree branch marks on A pillar and mirror where branches clattered car and the obvious seat cleaning needed. I was still shocked and shaking 2/3 miles up road when I got out to look at car but like I said some one was watching over me.

Take it easy this Xmas and slow down, I have had my warning

Nearly trashed my car - nortones2
Re "for no reason" - 60 mph on ice is the reason, I suspect.
Nearly trashed my car - bell boy
a woman had spun her car out on a bend while i was on my travels today,she was facing the wrong way half into the road round a blind bend and on her phone with no warning to cars coming round the corner to meet it,did i stop? no ,not after yesterday,i did however flash the leading car vehemently to warn it as i went round the corner on my side of the road
next................
Nearly trashed my car - Bromptonaut
Like Nortones I suspect sub-zero temperatures were a factor. Police here are appealing for witnesses to a fatal RTA where car left road at notorious bend on Tuesday night - similar factors in play there in all probability. Temp on the ground can change dramatically in sheltered pockets even if the car is frost free on the drive.

Edited by Bromptonaut on 21/12/2007 at 20:49

Nearly trashed my car - Billy Whizz
Tim, I'm glad you're OK.

I strongly recommend you look at investing in a set of "low temperature" tyres (do a Forum search on here for winter tyres). I can tell you from 4 years of personal experience what an incredible difference they make in cold weather. They literally make the difference between staying on the road or ending up in the trees.

I just bought a set of s/h alloys for my dad's Zafira for £72. (They had the added bonus of being fitted with nearly new Michelin summer tyres). My Christmas present to him will be a set of new "low temperature" tyres for use between 1st December to around end of March. (He lives in rural Hampshire. These tyres are only beneficial when temperatures fall below +7 deg C.)

He had a very unsettling experience a couple of years ago in his previous car when he slid slowly for a couple of hundred meters down an icy back lane in deepest rural Dorset. Fortunately the steep grass verges kept him on the road and there was nothing in the way to hit. Not even a scratched wheel trim but very scary.

I remember many years ago driving my 20-year old, 75 bhp banger over Dartmoor late one clear winter's night when suddenly the engine revs rose quickly toward the red line as I was coming uphill. My first thought was that the clutch was failing but soon realised it was black ice on the road (i.e invisible).

Tim, what car are you running and what model of tyres?
Edited to say that I see you have an Audi 80 MkII, but what tyres?

Edited by Billy Whizz on 22/12/2007 at 10:43

Nearly trashed my car - TimOrridge
TYres well im ashamed to admit but the tyres are a budget brand MAXXIS 45 each (195x65 15)fitted, while they have been fitted in last few months they may not be up to scrathc. Would you suggest using tow sets to tyres and swapping round dependant of season?

Thnaks
Nearly trashed my car - Talking Hoarse
Well - sorry to say - I think you get what you paid for and possibly what you deserve!
I think that there is a massive difference between some cheap tyres and the best. This doesnt matter much on dry roads, but the difference may be startling on damp etc roads, and that is when most of us notice.
Personally, I have a 2nd set of winter "snow" tyres - now rather veteran - that are remoulds from 20+yrs ago and are studded (ATS supplied with a lifetime warranty @ the time....!). They do give some amazing grip in ice and snow, but still need to be teated with great respect. However I have hardly bothered with them in the past 5 yrs as fresh Michelins, Continentals etc work very so well. And then the noise, speed restriction & inconvenience of snow tyres is a bit of a handicap.
Nearly trashed my car - Pugugly {P}
Take a motorcyclist's view of tyres - that contact footprint is all that you have between you and a very violent accident. Fit the best you can afford.
Nearly trashed my car - Talking Hoarse
PS - instead of MAXXIs @ £45 per cover you could get Michelins from Costco @ about £60 incl balance, and sometimes on offer (eg 4 for 3) if you are lucky.
Nearly trashed my car - Billy Whizz
Maxxis - actually I know a bit about Maxxis and their tyres are some of the best tyres produced by the far east manufacturers. One of the Maxxis 4x4 tyre models was my tyre of choice for my championship winning 4x4 Group S rally car in the Middle East. Both tougher and cheaper than the Pirellis, Michelins and Yokohamas I tried.

Car tyres - the Maxxis VICTRA MA-Z1 (W) model was recently tested in the recent Auto Express annual assesment of 16 best sellers in 215/55R16 size. It came a respectable 10th beating Yokohama (15th) and Pirelli (16th). The Maxxis lost marks for 'average fuel economy' (rolling resistance) where Michelin reigned supreme. The Michelin was 4th overall. The Maxxis was within 1% of the Michelin in wet handling and wet cornering. The Maxxis comfortably beat the Michelin in both straight and curved aquaplaning.

From what you have described, I would suggest you could probably have suffered the same experience if you had had Michelins in lieu of your nearly new Maxxis tyres. (I do accept I am making a number of assumptions.)

For cold weather tyres for my dad I will be having a look at:
Goodyear Eagle Vector+
Dunlop Winter Sport 3D
Michelin Primacy Alpin
Continental WinterContact TS

They will be mounted on a nice second-hand set of wheels (cheap) and fitted to the car only between December and March.

Nearly trashed my car - Garethj
I don't think it's "for no reason" that you had the skid. Even when the temperature is above freezing, the stuff they throw on the road to melt the ice often leaves a gooey residue on the surface. I've been getting a lot more wheelspin over the last few weeks during hard acceleration out of junctions. Motorcyclists get my utter respect on these road conditions as they bimble around corners!
Nearly trashed my car - Harleyman
Motorcyclists get my utter
respect on these road conditions as they bimble around corners!

On behalf of all bikers, thank you for that. It's a pity some other car drivers aren't so understanding.
Nearly trashed my car - mss1tw
On behalf of all bikers thank you for that. It's a pity some other car
drivers aren't so understanding.

Too right.