(98-04) 1.8 Zetec - noise from engine compartment - jp147
I have a question concerning a Ford Focus 1.8 ZETEC E which has done 71 000 miles.

The problem is that when the engine is cold and I am in neutral and I rev the engine up to say 2000 rpm and listen as the revs come down, at about 1250 rpm there is a hissing type sound which is not there at any other rpm. I can hear the noise as well in all gears when driving but only when the revs come down to about 1250 rpm.Strangely when the engine is hot and the car is idling in neutral, there is no noise when at 1250 rpm.I have taken the car to a ford garage for an opinion and they seem to think that it is an emission system hose that is damaged or leaking. I am worried because on my recent service, the garage overfilled the engine oil by 250 - 500 ml (which has now been corrected), but could this noise be connected with this ?. When I posted this question before someone thought that it might be a Shield bearing at the bottom end of the pistons. If it was something serious wouldn't the performance be affected?. Can anyone help ?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/12/2007 at 12:39

Ford Focus noise - jp147
Anyone?

{multiple postings of this question deleted and any replies to those merged with this one - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 21/12/2007 at 18:47

noise worry - marty1979
Could be the secondary air pump that only comes on when the engine's cold, it's just to reduce emissions. Is it a turbo?

Edited by marty1979 on 21/12/2007 at 17:21

noise worry - jp147
No, it is a 1.8 petrol Zetec E.
1.8(petrol), hissing wheezing noise. - jp147
I had a new emission hose fitted to my Ford Focus 1.8 (petrol) on the advice of a Ford mechanic, to try to cure a noise that I have been having.

The trouble is the noise is still there. I would describe the noise as a hissing or wheezing. It seems to occur when the engine is either cold or has been switched off for some time and then restarted. It is also present when driving but only when the engine revs drop down to between 1500 - 1250 rpm. The noise does not seem to be there in that rev range when the engine is hot and idling and I rev the engine and let the revs come down.

Any suggestions please.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 23/12/2007 at 18:49

1.8(petrol), hissing wheezing noise. - madf
could be a slight exhaust leak at a joint which seals with heat. Try by feeling for gas escape - when engine is cold.. but take care.
madf