tow ropes - bell boy
saw a van try to drive between two towed vehicles today,he broke the towing rope,it made me larf anyway..............
next
tow ropes - Fullchat
A very eventful day indeed BB!!
--
Fullchat
tow ropes - bell boy
and me mam only let me out for an hour
tow ropes - Fullchat
Do you hail from E. Yorks BB?
--
Fullchat
tow ropes - gordonbennet
Must have been a van day today, i had a van overtake me and another truck behind me whilst i was turning right into the Citroen garage at Shrewsbury.

He just got by before the traffic coming the other way got there ho hum.

Must be the days before Christmas syndrome.

Did the van that went between the towing vehicles tighten up the rope and pin himself in?(moist eyes thinking back to Red Rover form schooldays).
tow ropes - scrapmetal
forgive me if im wrong - arent tow ropes illegal now?
tow ropes - Cliff Pope
forgive me if im wrong - arent tow ropes illegal now?

I don't think so. I saw an AA van towing a car a few weeks ago with a rope. (actually, nylon webbing with hooks on the end)
tow ropes - Steve Pearce
Backin the 70's I once bought myself a plastic covered metal tow rope. Sometime later I offered to tow someone's Vauxhall VX. All was going well until I pulled away a liitle too aggressively and caused the "rope" to shear straight through the metalwork I had placed it around. That would have been bad enough but the metalwork in question was also used to route a wiring harness...
tow ropes - bell boy
no gb he broke it,the funny thing was the guys had used a straight bar with the springs in (the legal towing aid) and it broke within 5 yards (ne 4 metres?)
i prefer a truck always have especially after the young buck ran out in front of me on the A64 last year trailers ropes etc are no good if you hit the middle pedal hard...........:
borderline fullchat
tow ropes - Humpy
>i prefer a truck always have especially after the young buck ran out in front of me on >the A64 last year trailers ropes etc are no good if you hit the middle pedal >hard...........:
>borderline fullchat

Sorry? What?
tow ropes - bell boy
one of those sheep with horns things, buck ,roe deer, stag ran out in front of my loaded recovery veeicle last year i had to stamp hard on the middle pedal to save my veeicle
my point was ropes, bars, trailers and it was hit the sheep with antlers and live or die ,the mess afterwards would have been messy:-(
you cant beat a properly tied down immobile vehicle on a properly constructed recovery veeicle
tow ropes - Fullchat
BB. That would explain why a Recovery Agent in my neck of the woods with the same surname denied all knowledge of this forum!
--
Fullchat
tow ropes - normd2
first time I was on a rigid bar behind an RAC van I reckon the guy must have forgotten I was there. We got up to over 60mph on the road between Kirkcaldy and Rosyth - it's a twisty up and down minor A road if you don't know it - I was petrified. Been towed sensibly on a bar since and MUCH prefer it to a rope.
tow ropes - FotheringtonThomas
Been towed sensibly on a bar since and MUCH prefer it to a rope.

A Clatke TB2S costs just over £20 and is worth having just for one trip, IMO. The towed driver just has to stay in line with the towing vehicle, which does all the braking. Great!
tow ropes - milkyjoe
is it still legal to tow (with rope) on a motorway?
tow ropes - Screwloose

AFAIK it's always been legal to use a rope [soft-tow] on a motorway for suitable cases*; but as you aren't allowed to tow a car into, only out of, motorway regulations - a blanket 30mph limit on tow - and as the only people allowed to stop at a breakdown on a M-way are the bar-equipped ones sent by the police control; then it hardly ever happens.

* The broken-down car must have MOT, tax and insurance and have fully-functional steering, lights, brakes and servo.
tow ropes - Cliff Pope
So the only legal way it could happen would be with a running pickup by lasso, the towing vehicle slowing but not actually stopping?
You could surely only keep the servo functional if the engine were running? So with fully functional engine, steering, brakes, lights, that only seems to leave sudden clutch failure as a legitimate reason for towing with a rope on a motorway.
tow ropes - Screwloose
Cliff

Yes; in practical terms, clutch/drive failure is about the only thing that ropes can be used for - on any road - nowadays. That's why bars are near-universally used.