£2000 - £2500 What reliable diesel car? - grayfray
Hello,To cut a very long story short I only have £2000 - £2500 max to spend on a diesel car, what would be a good choice? I have had no experience of japanese diesels are these cars any good and above all reliable? Thank you

I have previously had...
Citroen BX's - brilliant cars but old now
Citroen ZX - good cars but old
Peugeot 306 - used lots of oil
Peugeot 406 turbo - turbo fault
Renault Scenic - too many faults
£2000 - £2500 What reliable diesel car? - Screwloose

Mondeo or Focus TD/TDDi?
£2000 - £2500 What reliable diesel car? - stunorthants26
The problem here is that everyone will come up with different cars and swear they are reliable despite a damning list of problems to watch for in the CBC.

Personally, id look for a 5-6 year old Toyota Corolla diesel. Ive never owned one, but those cars do tend to come high in the surveys - I think its the one with the bug-eyed look at that age. Cant think the diesel would be any less reliable than the petrols, just avoid ex-minicabs.

Thats not to say its a fun car, but your only specifying reliability.
£2000 - £2500 What reliable diesel car? - scrapmetal
rover 75 diesel. bmw engine, jatco gearbox
£2000 - £2500 What reliable diesel car? - bell boy
nothing really at this price its midway between leggin and leggoff,be careful
Thanks for replies
Never considered a Rover so had a look at Rover 75's on *bay - nice cars but £700+ out of my price range!

Any more recommendations
£2000 - £2500 What reliable diesel car? - oilrag
I think its a difficult price... I would rather buy a sub £1000 car, put a new cambelt on it and consider it `disposable`.

Problem is IMHO that £2,500 can buy a car thats not much better.
£2000 - £2500 What reliable diesel car? - RichardW
£2.5k buys a lot of Xantia HDi hatchback these days....
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
£2000 - £2500 What reliable diesel car? - Shaz {p}
You could pick up a decent car for £2500:

406 HDi
306 HDi
Xsara HDi

--------------------------------------------------------
04 Alfa Romeo 156 SW JTD 20v - Loving it.
£2000 - £2500 What reliable diesel car? - prm72
Vectra 2.0DTI, dont see many on here with probs, mines done 120,000 never missed a beat and doesn't use any oil between 10,000 changes.
I am checking out all the cars mentioned thanks
Does anyone have an opinion on the Nissan Primera or any of the VW's?
£2000 - £2500 What reliable diesel car? - Wee Willie Winkie
Last October I spent £2800ish on a 2002 406 HDi LX with 109k. It was an ex Hitatchi lease vehicle that came without history. However, before I committed I got myself a printout from Hitatchi. Belts and gubbins had been changed at 102k so no worries there for a while.

So far I've replaced two tyres and the back/middle exhaust sections. MoT'd once.

Over the 18k I've owned it, it's comfortable, economical and has numerous toys to play with. However, it is dull. That's why I want to sell and buy a 156!

I have had a 406 for 2 years, good cars, but i need to get another type because the wife hated it.
£2000 - £2500 What reliable diesel car? - Harleyman
Paid £3500 for my 1994 BMW 525TD auto four years ago. Total costs apart from servicing and consumables have been less than £200; the car is smooth, solid and reliable. Was after a Merc at the time but couldn't afford a turbo-diesel.

Only downer; not as economical as you'd think, only average 36 mpg.
£2000 - £2500 What reliable diesel car? - Peter
The Nissan Primera 2.0TD was a bog standard car. Always started, ran at ~ 45mpg, cruised wonderfully on motorways @ 70mph ish but on hilly B roads it was sluggish and very often down in 1st gear. Do beware, this engine has a cam belt and to my annoyance after a new one was fitted 35K miles later it snapped and destroyed the engine. The AA man was of the opinion a secondary device has seized causing the belt to go. It cruised very well around France last year never missed a beat.

I could recommend the Rover 420SDLi or its 45 incarnation. Mine ran well with 55 mpg, very responsive at all driving conditions, cam belt changes at 84K miles. A comfortable car to drive.

Off the two I'd recommend the Rover.
Thanks again for advice and recommendations...I think I have narrowed it down to a Almera 2.2 dci.......the only thing that puts me off is that I have read that the dci engine is borrowed from Renault and I know that the Renault dci turbo engines have major problems with blocked EGR valves thus causing turbo's to fail!
Can anyone tell me in the almera is the engine the same does it have a EGR valve and a turbo like the Renaults??
£2000 - £2500 What reliable diesel car? - scrapmetal
The almera 2.2 diesel engine is a nissan engine , it does have a history of turbo trouble.
Yes, you have just confirmed what I read earlier......scratch the Almera guys...I'm still looking any more recommendations?
£2000 - £2500 What reliable diesel car? - b308
Octavia TDi - it'll be the pre PD version which is known to go on and on and on......

Edited by b308 on 22/12/2007 at 21:33