How much for cambelt (pet 1.6 97)? - fernando
Hello

I'm gonna have the cambelt done, as the previous owner hadn't got it done for a while, and the car has gone 61,000. Its a 1.6 petrol 1997 plate.

Does anyone have a ballpark figure of how much I should be looking to pay?

Cheers

F

Edited by fernando on 18/12/2007 at 19:55

How much should I pay to have my cambelt done? - bell boy
you dinee say 1.6 or 1.6 gt
therefore 1.6 single cam takes a book time of 1.6 hours plus the kit
1.6 twin cam is alledgedly 2.3 hours plus the kit
this should give you a ballpark figure to be armed with

suggest you have full kit and water pump done all at the same time

merry xmas :-)
How much should I pay to have my cambelt done? - fernando
just 1.6, not GT. Sorry to be blonde, but can you explain the 'full kit' and water pump?
How much should I pay to have my cambelt done? - Tron
My last car was a 1600cc Astra and Harrats of Sheffield (Volvo dealership) charged £75.00 inclusive (any make up to 1600cc) including all parts for changing the cam belt.

This was in August of 2007.

If it has drive or fan belts as well as a cam belt, have you considered the savings by getting all belts done at the same time?

It could work out cheaper for you ? this was the cheapest option for me with the Astra.

If the cam belt has not been done for ages, is the drive/fan belt just as old?

Also get (if it has this) the pulley (if not included in the price) assembly changed. Those little pulleys have to work damned hard you know?

As a precaution I always ask that the water pump be checked out and the engine coolant thermostat be replaced at the same time. It is all in the same area and whilst all the belts are off - all is easily at hand.

Doing this will add approx a half hour labour charges and may save for just as expensive as the cam belt labour charges by ?possible? component failure of either the water pump, the coolant thermostat or the drive/fan belt.

In total I paid £119.97 (inc vat) for both belts, pulley assembly, thermostat and labour.