2007 1.6LX - Increased tyre noise vs 1999 Focus - Pete Mansell
I have just swapped my 1999 Focus 1.6LX for a brand new 1.6LX. Although an improved car I am disappointed by the increased tyre noise. The original car had Michelin Energy tyres, whereas the new one is fitted with Pirelli P7's.

Does anyone know if there is a reason why the new car should have increased tyre noise, especially at motorway speeds, or is it just down to the Pirelli tyres?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 15/12/2007 at 23:17

2007 1.6LX - Increased tyre noise vs 1999 Focus - jc2
Most likely tyres-I have experienced big changes in noise on the same car just changing brands-some tread patterns seem to react differently to different road surfaces as well.Car exhausts-proper ones-not aftermarket- have got so quiet that the major source of noise on a vehicle is from the tyres.
2007 1.6LX - Increased tyre noise vs 1999 Focus - Peter.N.
It doesn't have lower profile tyres, does it?

Peter.N.
2007 1.6LX - Increased tyre noise vs 1999 Focus - bazza
Hi Pete
Tyre noise on the Mk 2 is a well known problem. I've just sold an 05 reg like yours mainly because I found the road noise intolerable. It was also heavy on petrol compared to what I was used to. I had Bridgestones on mine and would have changed brand to see if it made a difference. Do a search on tyres on this forum. I read somewhere that the tyre noise is very dependant on wheel/tyre combination but having said that, the other Focus models I've been in have been similar. I think the motoring journos do tend to gloss over these things, as they don't have to live with the car on a daily basis!
2007 1.6LX - Increased tyre noise vs 1999 Focus - wantone
My 2000 focus has pirelli's on the front(used to be on the back) and they whirrrr like a good un.
I thought the rear bearings were on there way out so swapped the wheels round to rule the tyres out and as stated the noise changed to the front.If you go on the focus forum you will see that pirreli are a pain in the butt for the noise but mine have about 5mm of tread left so i decided to put up rather than cough up.
2007 1.6LX - Increased tyre noise vs 1999 Focus - Snakey
I too had a 1.6 LX Mk 2 Focus and found a step backwards in many ways to the 1998 Mk1 Focus I used to own, mainly in the following areas:

1) Much worse tyre noise - quite annoying at motorway speeds
2) Fuel economy quite poor compared to my old 1.8
3) Stupid dashboard design meant every time I went around a corner/roundabout my left knee was pressed againts the the centre console!

Clincher was the poor lumbar support in the seats, had to swap it then as it really hurt my back after 20 minutes or so!
2007 1.6LX - Increased tyre noise vs 1999 Focus - quizman
P7s are very good tyres and are not noisy. The only noisy tyres I have ever found were on a Avensis and were Chinese.
2007 1.6LX - Increased tyre noise vs 1999 Focus - Pete Mansell
Many thanks for the comments - it looks like it isn't just my car then! I will probably have to put up with for a year or so and then try some other tyres.

The tyres are not low profile, Peter N, they are not even on alloy wheels!

I agree with your comments about the centre console Snakey, but have found no problem with the seats. It's too early to have worked out fuel consumption yet.

Edited by Pete Mansell on 16/12/2007 at 19:36

2007 1.6LX - Increased tyre noise vs 1999 Focus - Pugugly {P}
And the handbrake well on the wrong side of the console - even, allegedly, more arrogant German makers always put the handbrake on the correct side of the console...so much for mass market appeal eh ? cap
2007 1.6LX - Increased tyre noise vs 1999 Focus - bazza
I found the seats very comfortable, even in my LX, despite having back trouble. Fuel economy from the 1.6 petrol was typically mid 30s, driven gently, semi rural. I was hoping for better than that. The only problem I ever had was that rain water constantly found its way into the spark plug wells, resulting in plugs sitting in about an inch of water and consequent starting/misfiring problems. . I eventually cured it by making an engine cover out of an old floor mat- reminiscent of my 1969 Mini Clubman- So much for modern technology!
2007 1.6LX - Increased tyre noise vs 1999 Focus - Waino
We've always been concerned about the level of road/tyre noise on SWMBO's 1.6 Focus Chic (52 reg). It came with P6000s on alloy wheels; these have worn well - we obtained 32k miles on the fronts and changed them for Firehawks, and the rears are still the originals at 53k miles. In the next month or two, however, we will have to replace all 4 as the front Firehawks have caught up with rear, original P6000s.

I'd be very interested to hear if anyone has successfully, by changing tyre brand, managed to reduce noise. Has anyone tried Vredesteins?

In this model, the seats are leather and pretty comfortable; fuel economy is average 37mpg, with 42mpg easily obtainable on a run; I've never had a problem with water ingress to spark plug wells - at least, not that I've known about.