(01-05) Confirming Cam Belt Timing 130 TDI - mhm
I recently paid a reputable (but not main dealer) garage to replace the Cam Belt on my 130BHP TDI Passat. As soon as I picked the car up it didn't feel quite right. It wasn't running as well as when I took it in for the service. Just a bit of hesitation when pulling away at low revs, and sometimes a slight misfire (as if it were a cold petrol engine). Also fuel consumption appears to be worse.

I have taken the car back to the garage for a check. They say that they ran the diagnostics and there was no problem. They did mention a slight oil weep from the Turbo, but nothing serious. They suggested I leave it to see if things get worse.

I suspect that the cam belt timing may have been set incorrectly. Are these the symptoms you would expect? Would a cam belt-timing fault show up on the diagnostics? Is there any easy way to check out the timing without stripping the whole thing down? Am I just being picky?

Any suggestions?

Thanks

{No mention of age of car, so picked up info from pull down make/model selection you made - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 14/12/2007 at 18:47

Confirming Cam Belt Timing 130 TDI - 659FBE
In order to check the cam timing on Passats fitted with a PD diesel you need to pull the front end of the car into the "service" position to gain access to the cambelt drive and have the correct locking tools. The cam locking tool is just a rod - I use a drill shank - but the crank lock is a special "negative" of the toothed wheel which engages with it and is integrally pegged to the front of the engine.

If your car is not running properly after a belt change, it's possible that they tried changing the belt without the correct tool by just marking up the teeth. This doesn't work on these engines - there is a vernier adjustment locked with 3 bolts on the camwheel which must be reset each time the belt is changed.

You could have a quick look at it yourself. Remove the engine top cover (3 plastic caps and M6 nuts) then unclip the cambelt upper cover. No tools are needed for this - it unclips and pulls out upwards. You will then be able to see the camwheel and belt. Check that the three vernier locking bolts on the camwheel (positioned as an equilateral triangle) have been disturbed. You may well see a shiny bit of camwheel under them. If they look dusty and undisturbed, be very suspicious.

These are wonderful diesels but don't tolerate poor workmanship at all. The cam drive is very highly stressed.

Confirming Cam Belt Timing 130 TDI - mhm
Thanks for the advice, I will take a look at the top end tomorrow, but don't really fancy stripping the front down, and of course I don't have the tool.

Would the diagnostics show anything up if I took it into another garage, or would they have to strip it down to check (which sounds expensive I've already paid £450 for the service and belt change)

Confirming Cam Belt Timing 130 TDI - 659FBE
It's possible that this would not show up on a VAGCOM or similar check, because these things generally assume that the engine has its designed mechanical integrity - ie it's screwed together properly.

In cases such as this, where you may be doubting the workmanship of the job done, there's no substitute for a good look. A bodger generally leaves his mark. As an example, look beside the PAS reservoir where there are about 4 connectors. Have they been carefully relocated in their clips?

I appreciate that you would not want to pull the front, but by all means take the upper cam cover off - it's dead easy.

If you do find anything amiss, you have a far stronger case if you've seen it for yourself and can take the vehicle back to the garage and point it out to them.