overpainting Smoothrite aerosol paint - Surrey_Scientist

Been experiemnting with Smoothrite aerosol painton a 1930s bike I'm restoring.

Spraying a single coat goes on very well, nice and shiny, no faults.

Its says to spray another coat after 15mins.

Ive found this makes it either run or or goe orange-peely

Any idea if it can be left longer ?

The old brushable stuff would craze and peel if overpainted after more tha nthe specified time unless left about 6weeks to fully cure

Ive already had to strip off one lot of paint as it ran and don't want to tempt fate by leaving any longer between coats if its going to craze or do somehting else.

Anyone any experience with this aersol stuff ?? Does it craze if left a few hours before a another coat, or can I levae it longer say a day or so ?

overpainting Smoothrite aerosol paint - Aprilia
I've had enough trouble with the brushable stuff, so I've never tried the aerosol. If you want to make a good job how about getting a pro stove enamel job or using trad synthetic enamel like they used to?
overpainting Smoothrite aerosol paint - Surrey_Scientist

I enjoy the challenge of doing it myself..........

and the bike is a full roadster so has chaincases, rod lever brakes, mudguards etc. which would push the rpice into the stratosphere as they are fiddly to paint, and many people wont take the job as they know what a pig it is.
overpainting Smoothrite aerosol paint - Pugugly {P}
Well, what's the bike ?
overpainting Smoothrite aerosol paint - Aprilia
Well, I would use traditional synthetic then. That Smoothrite stuff is a pain. IME it 'pinholes' and once it forms a 'skin' you can't overpaint it for about 6 months. I think you would have to overpaint whilst its still tacky, but then there is the risk of running and 'pullling' the first coat.
overpainting Smoothrite aerosol paint - martint123
I'd do it indoors as well - I think it suffers when sprayed in cold damp air.
Stuff I did last summer seems to have come out fairly well, with a tough smooth finish. Two coats in a morning.
overpainting Smoothrite aerosol paint - SlidingPillar
A 1930's motorbike, in all likelyhood would have been brushed. If you've not already got, get the Vintage Motorcyclists Workshop by Radco published by Haynes.

And read this website www.stephen.hull.btinternet.co.uk/
overpainting Smoothrite aerosol paint - P3t3r
I would recommend waiting for the summer, unless you have a warm, well venticated, room for doing it. I did some spraying a few weeks ago, and haven't noticed any problems. I did primer, metalic paint, and then a clear coat.

With primer you shouldn't leave it longer than 24 hrs because it's hygroscopic, and mustn't put it in wet/rain. I waited 15 mins before each coat, and did very thin coats. I did it too thin the first week, and noticed that, after a gentle rub, I was through the colour coat. So I did a few more coats of colour, and didn't bother giving it a rub before the clear coat because I didn't have enough time.

Good luck!