BMW 330i or 330d - neil99
What kind of mpg can i expect from 330 petrol and 330d estates. Petrol models are cheaper and it is a case of comparing based on my 10K a year mileage. Also how much does an auto box decrease mpg?
BMW 330i or 330d - Falkirk Bairn
My son got about 19-20mpg with a 330 petrol auto.

He gets 28mpg with his 3 ltr X5 diesel auto so 30+mpg seems reasonable for a 330d

Petrols 330s will continue to drop in price as petrol heads up & up. The diesel may cost more to buy today but wil keep its price better and just as important be easier to sell when you move on to another car.
BMW 330i or 330d - DP
You can get 30 mpg average out of a 330i manual as long as you're driving sensibly and not stuck in town.

Cheers
DP
--
04 Grand Scenic 1.9 dCi Dynamique
00 Mondeo 1.8TD LX
BMW 330i or 330d - Roly93
You can get 30 mpg average out of a 330i manual as long as you're
driving sensibly and not stuck in town.

I had an old shape 530 Sport and I used to get 32 ish on a run from this, so I would not expect less from a 330i driven sensibly.

The BMW 3 litre diesel lump is a magnificent piece of engineering though, but as diesels go not renowned for its economy.
20mpg is a bit of a joke, no wonder prices seem low 2nd hand. Will stick to my first plan of 330d nad probably manual box.
BMW 330i or 330d - Jono_99
Not sure what difference the estate makes over the saloon, but my 330d manual returns just over 40mpg (computer says more, that is from fill to fill). Has dropped a bit in the weather, and is suprisingly sensitive to the number of short journeys it does.

When I bought mine at the beginning of the year, there was not a significant difference in the prices being asked for 3 year old 330d's and 330i's (which is what I bought). That gap appears to have widened since

I was tempted by a 530i sport initially, (don't ask why it became a 330d, rather than a 530d!), but am really pleased with what I ended up with. I reckon I would be too tempted to enjoy the 3.0 petrol engine in either a 5 or 3 series to get anything above 25mpg.

Cheers

Jon
BMW 330i or 330d - oldtoffee
>>Also how much does an auto box decrease mpg?

My son had a 2002 330d auto and he used to get around 30 mpg on his 10 mile commute to and from work and 35 mpg on a run.
BMW 330i or 330d - Pugugly {P}
my old E46 330d could top 40 if driven wisely - it was a manual.
BMW 330i or 330d - MichaelR
I have a 530i and my father has a 530d. There is about 10mpg difference between them in any one scenario. Around town, my 530i gets 20mpg, the 530d gets 30mpg. On a run, my 530i gets 35mpg, the 530d gets 45mpg, etc.

The 530i is faster and more fun.

Edited by MichaelR on 07/12/2007 at 19:41

BMW 330i or 330d - Falkirk Bairn
How does a student INSURE a 530i? Unless you are a lot older than the majority of students - a "life-long-student" who prefers not to work for a living?

I know students around here paying £1300- £1800 3rd party F&T for a Micra!

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 07/12/2007 at 20:39

It's not too bad. £1100 comprehensive @ 22.
BMW 330i or 330d - nick1975
not too bad! i can insure a C2 911 for 30% less than that!
That would be becuase you are in your mid 30's.

It's not bad at all for my age. People my age are used to insurance premiums like that as we've been paying them since we passed our test - £1400 @ 17 on a 1.9 TD Xantia, then £1200 at 19 on a Mondeo 2.0 16v :(
BMW 330i or 330d - jbif
It's not bad at all for my age.

I also think that reduced premiums may apply if a student buys a 530i rather than a 330i. Insurers are likely to think that drivers of that age attracted to buy 530is are less of a risk.

Re - the OP's question. For an annual lowly mileage of 10,000 I would have thought that the differential in fuel costs between a 330d and a 330i would be the least influencing factor in choosing between them. A quick back of the envelope approx calc show that even if he has a leaden foot and manages just 20mpg with the 330i and 30mpg with the 330d, the annual fuel bill (assuming £5 per gallon equally for each fuel ) will be £2500 (500 gallons petrol) vs £1700 (340 gallons diesel). Figures rounded up to nearest 10.

fair enough Mr R.

Pretty impressed that a student has +£1k to spend on insurance - fair play to you!

mid 30's, come on I'm 32 ;-)

(every year counts now!!)
The benefits of not spending every other day getting plastered at the union are plentiful :)
guilty your honour
BMW 330i or 330d - Blue {P}
Ha! I have finally found a benefit to being older! I'm only paying about £750 TPFT for my Mondeo. :-)

Blue
Ha! I have finally found a benefit to being older! I'm only paying about £750
TPFT for my Mondeo. :-)

I'm sure my Mondeo would be less than that if I still used it!

Mondeo = Group 12
530 Sport = Group 17
And staying on topic, 330i = Group 17

And the diesels are a group less.
Mondeo = Group 12

Mine's 16, I bought the V6 remember? ;-)

Oh, and as far as 3 Series are concerned, the petrol simply has to be the way to go, lovely engine.

Blue
>> Mondeo = Group 12
Mine's 16 I bought the V6 remember? ;-)

Ah yes - I forgot. Nice RSAP kitted one.
Oh and as far as 3 Series are concerned the petrol simply has to be
the way to go lovely engine.

I agree. The 3.0 diesel is also an excellent engine, but unfortunately it sits in the range alongside one of the worlds finest petrol engines.
It also munches it's manifold with surprising regularity according to BMW Car magazine that I was reading on the coach the other day when returning from a works function.

Blue
That is the 2 litre M47 engine not the 3 litre. Not heard of any manifold eatery issues with the 3 litre.

2 litre issue is a pretty big one though by all accounts.
Not heard of any manifold eatery issues with the 3 litre.

Neither had BMW Car magazine until recently from what I can gather!

Blue
BMW 330i or 330d - naz
hey, just curious what insurance company you with and are you policyholder or named driver. Thanks
Either way it seems the manual is the way to go. Will see what I can find in January sales!!
thanks
Neil
BMW 330i or 330d - scotty
FWIW - my 530d has never done less than 35 mpg town driving included and usually 42 or 43 on a run.

Les
BMW 330i or 330d - mynameistrevor
Given the current difference in pump prices I calculate the saving between diesel over petrol to be some GBP705 ( given the 10mpg quoted difference)

Interestingly there seems not much difference in price between a new 330i and 330d, so if you can find a 2nd hand petrol about GBP2200 cheaper than a diesel then over 3 years you start to edge ahead.

However in the real world I think the difference in mpg might be more. 15 mpg. The 330i will be high revving and need to be revved to drive properly. The diesel will be more relexed with oodles of those 'torques' low down with less gear changing.

In that case annual diesel savings might br GBP900. So you are looking at finding a petrol GBP2700 less than a diesel to make sense.

Using list prices: Take a 5 door 1.6 Zetec Focus and equivalent diesel. Diesel car is GBP1500 more expensive. Over 3 years then you have to save GBP1500 in fuel. For 10000 p.a. you only save around GBP980 (quoted mpg differneces - 20mpg!). Mileage would have to be around 15500 p.a. to make financial sense.

My point being (gasps for breath) the extra cost of buying a diesel outweighs mpg savings unless you are a higher mileage driver. From a company car point of view the govt tax you higher for a diesel as well. Diesel fuel is taxed higher. Rest assured the govt is determined not to lose revenue.

I preferred the driving characteristics of my 320d over a 320i that I had occasion to drive. It was a company car, and I drove about 40000 a year

PS - why do £ signs come out like that?
In that case annual diesel savings might br GBP900. So you are looking at finding
a petrol GBP2700 less than a diesel to make sense.

Usually on the used market, talking 2000-2004 cars, a 330i is about £2k less than a 330d.

However, a 330i has no turbocharger to fail and no high pressure injectors.
BMW 330i or 330d - Chips with everything
Although the petrol engined cars have VANOS units which can and indeed do go wrong.....
Although the petrol engined cars have VANOS units which can and indeed do go
wrong.....

VANOS failiure can now be rectified on the M52TU and M54 engines through the use of a recently developed repair kit consisting of new seals. It costs £30 for the kit, and is about 3-4 hours labour tops.
BMW 330i or 330d - Chips with everything
Very useful to know - thanks.
BMW 330i or 330d - Peter S
Gearbox choice has a large impact on the economy of the E46 330d IME; I had one a few years ago in auto form (a touring) and it averaged just over 32 mpg in the year I had it. The most I ever achieved on a tank was 38mpg, and that was touring through France. Manual ones use a fair bit less fuel though, or so I've heard.

For comarison the 330i that followed it (an E90), also in auto form, averaged around 27 mpg IIRC over a simlar time/milegae/useage pattern. If the E46 330i achieved a similar result then I'd think the 5mpg difference is insignificant over 10k miles a year...this was my thinking behind switching to petrol, having been mildly disappointed with the economy of the 330d.

However the diesel, while more expensive, may well hold its value better...

HTH

Peter
BMW 330i or 330d - Rumfitt
I had a touring 330D and for the most part it was a great car to drive...

I had an early example from 2000. It averaged about 39mpg on shortish runs and about 46mpg on a gentle long run.

Unfortunately I bought a bit of a lemon and it cost a fortune to maintain, despite using value for money independents. Servicing was pricey if it needed a major service. The tyres were very expensive on the 18-inch wheels and many things went wrong - MAF sensor, parking sensors, brake discs warped, suspension. I bought it at the age when things wore out.

Therefore always factor in the real overall costs, not home in on the mpg figure. I should have gone for the auto, which drives very nicely, but it's a fair bit thirstier - by 25% HJ reckons.

I'd have another one though, but I would get a cast-iron warranty as they're complex and precision machinery. One of the all-time great cars in my opinion - especially the later examples.
BMW 330d -how many owners - neil99
I have looked at 2 330d sport tourers in last month. One a 04 plate with 3 owners-last owner only 5 months, last 18mnths history missing although dealer assured me he could get it! The other a 02 plate. 3 owners, last 18 mnths history also missing, Both cars in 60K mileage and at small but established dealers, one certainly dealt in upper end of market selling a few Bm's. I ran scared of both however nice and shiny they looked. Am I being too pickey or do I just need to spend more money. I'm looking for a '02 to 04 plate with about 70K with no more than 2 owners and the FSH in 12 to 15K range. Do these cars normally have a few owners? and does service history go missing??
Help!
BMW 330d -how many owners - Jono_99
I don't think you are being too picky, but the tourers are rarer than the saloons

What about this? www.cargiant.co.uk/cars/detail.asp?Id=359682 (they also have an auto tourer)

Bought my 330D from them, and pleased with service from them and the car.

Jon

(no relation to cargiant, etc....)
BMW 330d -how many owners - Pugugly {P}
Neil what part of the world are you ?
I'm in the Doncaster area. Wife and kids fed up of travelling to look at cars and me running away!
A leading question though??
BMW 330d -how many owners - CJay{P}
Do these cars normally have a few owners? and does service history go missing??
Help!

Ring BMW GB customer services - do a search on the Internet for the number - give the number plate of the car, they will tell you all dates in which car has been seen by a BMW dealer. Then ring the said dealers, and ask them what and what has been done and what mileage. This way you can build up a comprehensive history of the car.

I am really surprised that the selling garages have not already done this. Really poor on their part. If I was the seller, I will assemble every document, I mean every bit of information that I can get hold of and present to the potential buyer. It is common sense.

At your budget you should get a very good car with proper SH.

It might also be worthwhile to get in touch with Joe Dowd, the auction car buyer, and source a car via the auctions. At this money, you can get a car still within warranty. so, nothing to really worry about.

Edited by CJay{P} on 29/01/2008 at 19:12

Thanks for your comments, I agree and if info is readily available (like it should be) this is easy. Makes me happy I have done the right thing. I have looked at auction and think I may go to a bmw one at least for the experience. I assume if still under warranty (3years?) this removes any risk? Who is Joe Dowd? Thanks
BMW 330d -how many owners - jbif
Who is Joe Dowd? Thanks

Use the FORUM search for "Joe Dowd" over the last year or beyond (above "Help", next to the "Log In" "Log Out")and it will give you many links.

Edited by jbif on 30/01/2008 at 17:27