Suitable car for tall person with injured knee - slender75
With my badly damaged right knee and a bone structure on my left leg that makes a shepherds crook look arrow straight the top priority for me when buying a car is seat comfort and front leg room. I've been driving petrol Volvo automatics for a number of years; an early XC70 (not for the faint hearted as it was built at 3.55pm on a Friday afternoon just before the summer holiday) and a couple of S80's. These have served me well and would no doubt continue to do so were it not for the fact that my commute has now increased from 14 miles a day to at least 44 and my fuel bill has unsurprisingly rocketed. I've had to put my environmental concerns as second to my need to be able to drive a car that does not cripple me and see me in hospital for the third knee op I'm desperately trying to avoid.

So, having spent ages in the shadows reading the advice offered to those who come here seeking guidance it is now my turn to counsel opinion. I'm seeking a car that is comfortable with excellent front seats and leg room, reliable (I live in a rural area with no sign of a bus service and the two faults that stopped my previous S80 in it's tracks - ETM and ECU - could easily strike again), economical and, with an automatic transmission. Budget? I could stretch to £10K but would prefer to part with about half of that if possible.

Apologies for the life story but I thought some background information would explain why I am where I am and why I seek what I seek.

Thanks in advance for any suggestions.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 06/12/2007 at 19:02

Suitable car for tall person with injured knee - TheOilBurner
If you're happy with the S80, what about another one?

For that kind of money you could buy a late 2003/early 2004 S80 D5 auto with about 70k miles. The injector issue on earlier cars should be sorted on these.

I bought a 2005 S80 D5 auto last week and I'm delighted with it so far. Fuel economy is high 30s for town driving, mid 40s on the motorway. I broke 48mpg coming home from Scotland at the weekend. I was cruising at about 70-75mph.

No ETM issues to worry about. AFAIK, post 2002 these cars are very solid and little goes wrong. It's my second Volvo, I had a 2001 V70 2.4 previously. My first impressions are that these later cars are better all round. No plastic trim wearing through around the door handles and no discoloured strips along the roof! The whole interior, although much the same, feels better built than before. Hopefully the mechanicals are too. The reports I've seen seem to think so.

Good luck with whatever you decide!
I haven't discounted exactly what you've suggested but I'm taking the opportunity to see if somebody suggests something that I haven't considered.

Thanks for your response.
Suitable car for tall person with injured knee - Clk Sec
The current Mazda6 should suit your needs. I?ve owned one for five years and it?s served me well.

Clk Sec
Suitable car for tall person with injured knee - TheOilBurner
Do they do a diesel auto Mazda6? Parkers doesn't list one?

For another suggestion, I would also recommend the Vectra 1.9 CDTI from experience. There are a few autos around with that engine.

Reliability is OK, but there are some issues to be aware of. Have a look at vectra-c.com for more info.

I didn't have the auto, but the manual version. That was plenty quick enough for me, the auto shouldn't be so bad. Probably slightly better economy than the S80, plus a 6 speed autobox could be nice.
Suitable car for tall person with injured knee - Gromit {P}
An MPV or small SUV might suit better because you neither have to climb up nor sit down into them, rather you slide across into the seat. The Mk1 Focus was also good in this regard (my wife's uncle uses a walking frame - he has difficulty getting in or out of a BMW 3 series but manages fine with a Focus or our Scenic).

Automatic rules out French cars - Scenic or Picasso - based on their reputation for unreliable autos. Auto MPVs: Vauxhaul Zafira, Honda FRV, Ford CMax. Auto SUVs: Honda CRV, Subaru Forester, perhaps Hyundai/Kia models though I'm not sure what engine/auto box combinations are available. Nissan Note and XTrail might suit, but if they're CVT type autos rather than traditional torque converter type there's some doubt over long-term reliability.

The most important thing is to get a long test drive of the cars you shortlist over the type of roads you'll drive it on. If buying used, consider renting the model of car you want to buy for a weekend first.
Suitable car for tall person with injured knee - normd2
my dad with the plastic knees and spinal problems had a Honda CRV for the 'slide in' benefit. He now has a new shape MB A-class for long runs and a Suzuki Wagon R for the town.
Suitable car for tall person with injured knee - Ruperts Trooper
Beware of MPV / SUV - most of them offer excellent space for large families but often at the expense of front seat travel.
Suitable car for tall person with injured knee - Gromit {P}
Slender, is your commute 44 miles each way or round trip?

For a 220 day working year, even 44 miles each way is approx 19,000 miles. IMO you're just about into the mileage where, for a given make of car, you'll get a cost advantage with diesel.

So when shopping, I'd suggest you ignore whether the cars are petrol or diesel and just concentrate on MPG and running cost. That also broadens your choice as there are fewer diesel autos made.
It's a 44 mile round trip. My annual mileage is now upwards of 15,000 miles. I'm not swayed one way or the other with regards to petrol/diesel and have an open mind.

Thanks, everyone, for your input. I like the renting suggestion for a weekend.
Suitable car for tall person with injured knee - adverse camber
Mazda 5 seats are no good for tall people. In my experience. I stopped the test drive after getting to the end of the road
Suitable car for tall person with injured knee - Clk Sec
>>Mazda 5 seats are no good for tall people.

Unlike the Mazda6; suitable for giants !

Clk Sec
Suitable car for tall person with injured knee - adverse camber
no mazda 6 no good either - but thats down to the seat back being too small
Suitable car for tall person with injured knee - 659FBE
A Skoda Superb might just fit the bill - no shortage at all of legroom. I would rate the seats as only average, although the adjustment possibilities are numerous. The steering wheel will also adjust for reach and angle.

A 4 cyl diesel auto is available, but an older 1.9 would be my choice as it has a better engine without a DPF. A good one would be within your budget.

This model is obsolete and was a marketing flop - although the car's fine. It's an old VW Passat with 4" of extra legroom and a longer wheelbase to match. The diesels are good and the body is fully galvanised. Haggle hard and you could get a bargain.

Edited by 659FBE on 06/12/2007 at 17:51

Suitable car for tall person with injured knee - nick
I would go with the MPV or small SUV/soft roader suggestion. If bending the knees is problematic I would think a high seating position and wide doors would be a must.
Suitable car for tall person with injured knee - Ravenger
The C-Max driving position is extremely comfortable. In fact HJ himself has praised it several times.

It's very easy to get into and out of, due to the tall cabin and high seats. There's lots of leg-room in the front too, even with the seats forward.

I'm not sure about the reliability of the CVT boxes though. Certainly on earlier models they were problematic.
Suitable car for tall person with injured knee - I'm a Pane
Hi SLENDER75,

you may want to consider an auto TDi Seat Toledo or Altea. Both have superb room up front, a great driving position and very comfortable (if firm) seats. Ride may be a little hard though around town - a test drive would soon let you know. Reliability is excellent too. 8K should see you into a 2005/55 plate with low miles.
Thanks, again, for some interesting suggestions - Seat Toledo and C Max. to name but two. I'm grateful to those who have taken the time and trouble to offer opinions.

Suitable car for tall person with injured knee - Brian Tryzers
>Mazda 5 seats are no good for tall people.

Curious - I'm 6'5" and felt I fitted OK, even if I had to use all the rearward travel, which I don't even in our Fabia. (But then my 'test drive' amounted to a ten-minute run round the block with a salesman who seemed more interested in showing off his ability to drive too fast than in actually letting me try the car for myself. Complete waste of time.)

A better bet might be the tremendously likeable and well-sorted Toyota Verso. I'd buy one if it were six inches longer at the back - it doesn't really work for us as a seven-seater or a load carrier - but if those concerns are secondary or irrelevant to you, have a look. (Toyota dealers, round my Midland parts anyway, also have a far more enlightened attitude to proper test drives.) You can have an automatic if you don't mind petrol.

As for that third knee op, don't do it! It can be hard enough finding room for two knees.
};---)