1997 - Replacing Tape Deck Radio With CD Player? - Lee182
Hi,

I've bought a Cd player for the Mrs for Xmas to replace the original tape deck in her 1997 Ford Ka. I'm wondering basically how to fit it short of taking it to Halfords etc.

I bought a Goodmans GCE7205 CD Player and i'm led to believe i will need a few things to install this.

I think i'm right in saying i will need Fascia Adapter due to the Dimensions (Depth 6.3 in. Height 1.97 in. Width 7.01 in) and an ISO wiring harness adaptor.

One last thing, no sign of the removel keys, do you have to have a special key to remove existing unit?

Can anyone help with all the above? and is it a easy task to fit.

Thanks in advance.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 05/12/2007 at 18:20

Anybody? It's a Xmas pressie and i know she will expect me to know how to fit it!
1997 - Replacing Tape Deck Radio With CD Player? - BobbyG
Lee, if you go to Halfords they will be able to tell you everything you need. You don't necessarily need to buy it there. Last time I was in they had a whole load of the Fascia adaptors for a Ka.
--
2007 Seat Altea XL 2.0 TDI (140) Stylance
2005 Skoda Fabia vrS
1997 - Replacing Tape Deck Radio With CD Player? - marty1979
Very easy to do. As mentioned above, Halfords or any similar store will have the Iso connector, fascia panel and removal keys that you'll need to do the job. If you have all the bits it should take no longer than 20-30 min's, that's including old stereo removal, fitting of the cage for the new stereo, and the final wiring and installation.
Thats great, sounds very easy to do.

Thanks.

1997 - Replacing Tape Deck Radio With CD Player? - Errodiel
Lee - have you fitted your Mrs's new CD player yet?

I've got a 2002 Ka, and my wonderful mother bought me a Clarion DB178RMP CD player for it - I'm encouraged by people here saying that they're easy to fit, but still slightly nervous of fiddling about with wires etc! My factory-fitted tape/radio looks nothing like the ones I've found on google (eg my hazard light control is on the steering column, not built in to the radio fascia). In fact the unit looks identical to the one in my old P-reg Fiesta.

So I guess I'm just looking for you to say that it was a doddle! I'll hopefully get out to Halfords today to get a bit of advice, and possibly beg themto do it for me ;)

Edited by Errodiel on 30/12/2007 at 12:27

1997 - Replacing Tape Deck Radio With CD Player? - Siba
I have the same issue too. My boyfriend has bought me a Kenwood KDC-237SA CD player to replace the tape deck in my V reg Polo. The instructions look straightforward enough and am considering trying to put it in myself as Halfords have said they can only do it between 2-4 next Thurs!

any tips anyone?

TIA
1997 - Replacing Tape Deck Radio With CD Player? - bell boy
Errodiel you pull off with the aid of radio removal din pins
the whole kibbadle in your ka it is shaped though and unique to the ka although the actual gummins behind is the same as a fiesta they are NOT interchangeable
once you have the unit out disconnect the two large connectors and the aerial
you need a new ka front from somewhere like halfords or the internet,you load your new player into the front of this and then fit the cage supplied with the radio from the back,you then need a connecting cable that changes your industry standard iso cables to henry fords unique plugs ,(halfords or equivelent again at about £12 )
you will also need an aerial adaptor to change the ford connector to your new long pin aerial type
obviously if you were a dab hand with the old soldering iron all the adaptor cables could be soldered to the old ford connecter wires

Siba, if you can get hold of the removing radio tags for removing your polo fitted unit then you could fit the new unit yourself in about 15 seconds flat
edit...look here and similar for the tools needed and or iso leads,nowt to do with me though i just googled iso pins and leads
tinyurl.com/2jae4c ..............siba

tinyurl.com/2msr77 ............Errodiel,but this is american but a google within the uk will light the way

Edited by bell boy on 30/12/2007 at 16:37

1997 - Replacing Tape Deck Radio With CD Player? - Errodiel
Thanks for the info bell boy.

We went into halfords this afternoon and got hold of:
- din keys/pins
- replacement fascia panel
- iso cables

All for about £35, which is a bit more than I'd expected, but never mind. I'm now slightly concerned that we might also need an adaptor for the radio antenna, but we'll cross that bridge if we come to it. We're going to have a go at fitting it tomorrow, as long as it's not chucking it down.

Thanks again!
tinyurl.com/2bca6k

it looks like this

personally i chop the end of the ford bit and splice in a free scrapyard aerial end one that i always have a stock of for such occasions.

ps it doesnt matter if its raining as you will be in the car ;-)
1997 - Replacing Tape Deck Radio With CD Player? - mfwhite1975
HI i found this information by using a search engine i needed advice with the same situation going from standard 2002 ford ka cd player to a custom cd player without that information i wouldnt of had a clue!! there are usefull forums out there !! nice one !!
1997 - Replacing Tape Deck Radio With CD Player? - Destructo
Hi Lee,

There is a complete guide with great pictures and step by step instructions here:

www.demonaudio.co.uk/tutorial/Ford/KA/Howtoremovea...x

I know this is a very old thread, but hopefully it'll help people out still looking for this info.