1.8 TD greyish smoke - johnboy3553
Hi I'm new here but could ANYONE help me I stripped my mondeo 1.8 turbo diesel down as headgasket went (I was ripped off by cowboy mechanic ) so I decided to do it myself anyway put the engine together started her up sluggish but realised the timing was out done that timing is now perfect BUT greyish smoke and takes about 20 second get the engine started I if I rev it up smoke gets a bit thicker after reading a few blogs here and there I got to thinking is it the ADVANCE SOLINOID there is 2 wires RED and BROWN what do you think I have checked Air filter its NEW the air charger cooler is a little bit dented when I took it off the smoke is still there any help would be welcome please reply to though I will be checking on this site

Duplicate post deleted, subject line tweaked and your e-mail address removed for your own good !

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 04/12/2007 at 17:33

1.8 TD greyish smoke - Screwloose

Do a compression test.
I done compression test the other week all OK only had this problem when headgasket blew
otherwise mondeo always ran well the problem of overheating started I think when Electric fan did not kick in I noticed it never kicked in when I bought it the cowboy Mechanic said that probably it would never kick in anyway I was new to Diesel engine this is my first diesel car
1.8 TD greyish smoke - marty1979
Could be the solenoid, but the wires on mine were both the same colour (white), I changed mine a couple of weeks ago and it cured my smokey rough idle.

Edited by marty1979 on 05/12/2007 at 11:40

1.8 TD greyish smoke - Screwloose

Was the compression test before this problem started - or after?
before and after