Selling cars privately in Dec: Is it hard work? - WipeOut
Hi,

I'm not posting as a leader to the car I am selling, but I am genuienly a bit concerned. So I don't really want to discuss the car/specification/price.

I've taken delivery of a new car, and I am now trying to sell my three year old car. I've priced it at a competitive price in autotrader for a week now. I've not had one call. I am a bit suprised. I've checked similar cars to mine advertised, and the specification, mileage etc is considerable better for the money. Every so often I check the telesafe numbers. I am concerned that lowering the price further still won't get any further interest unless I go really silly?

Is it just a December thing, and everybody is thinking about Christmas presents. Will things pick up in January. Do I just have to hold my nerve? Luckily I don't need the money that urgently, but I would like some garage space back.

WipeOut
Selling cars privately in Dec: Is it hard work? - adverse camber
It is slow. Also I know it sounds silly but the telesafe numbers that cost a fortune (but not compared to the cost of the car) put people off.
Thanks, I've just ditched the telesafe numbers.
Selling cars privately in Dec: Is it hard work? - local yokel
>Is it just a December thing, and everybody is thinking about Christmas presents.

I think it's several things:

Timing - awful, people are buying carpets, sofas and turkey.

Back-up - why buy a three year old car privately? No warranty, you have to arrange finance direct, and no trade-in facility.

State of the economy - it's sliding, so the first thing people do slow down on big capital purchases.

Hope you can wait until March.
Selling cars privately in Dec: Is it hard work? - pyruse
Why didn't you trade in the Golf when you bought the new car?
I know you get less money, but it's a lot less hassle than selling privately - and sometimes you can end up spending more on trying to sell a car than the price difference, especially if it takes months to sell.
Selling cars privately in Dec: Is it hard work? - normd2
I bought my last two cars in December - it's a buyers market at this time of year.
Selling cars privately in Dec: Is it hard work? - jbif
I've priced it at a competitive price in autotrader for a week now.

It would appear obviously not so. It also depends on how you phrase your ad. For example, I never consider anyone who uses phrases such as "first to see will buy", "drives superb", "no time wasters", "no offers". I prefer sellers who state their general location, give email addresses and invite further questions and are open to hear of any offers (even silly ones).
Selling cars privately in Dec: Is it hard work? - stokie
Try selling it in Loot, the advert is free and I've sold 3 cars that way in the past few years.
AutoTrader is expensive IMHO and has far fewer ads than say 10 years ago so maybe fewer readers?
Selling cars privately in Dec: Is it hard work? - Lou_O
AutoTrader is expensive IMHO and has far fewer ads than say 10 years ago so
maybe fewer readers?

Firstly I reckon many people will be looking on the web, the paper version of Autotrader can't have that much life left in it...

Secondly, I'd recommend gumtree it's also free and you can upload pics. I've sold two cars in the last couple of years using it:

www.gumtree.com

Cheers,

Lou
Selling cars privately in Dec: Is it hard work? - local yokel
Free ads also on PistonHeads.com - which is not just for track day cars. I've sold on there, free pics too.
Selling cars privately in Dec: Is it hard work? - catsdad
Wipeout
It could be any number of things and I am curious why you don't advertise here or tell us more about the detail in your ad? Maybe you are putting people off in some unintended way. One possibility is that, from another post, you do mention you bought it earlier this year. I would tend to be put off by a three year old car that already had at least two owners, could it just be that?
Selling cars privately in Dec: Is it hard work? - expat
A4 advert stuck on the rear door windows. Takes a while but works well. People see the car at the same time as the advert. If you think it is a good price then put the price on your A4 ad also. You see too many adverts without the price and people don't bother to ring up and find out. Make sure you take the car out and about though. The ad won't work if the car never leaves your driveway.
One possibility is that, from another post, you do mention you bought it earlier this year.

That could be a big turn off, as a short period of ownership makes people suspect that there is something wrong with the car. Wipeout - How long have you had this Golf ?
Selling cars privately in Dec: Is it hard work? - Roly93
Why didn't you trade in the Golf when you bought the new car?
I know you get less money but it's a lot less hassle than selling privately

I vowed never again to trade in a good car, after an experience I had a few years ago, when I was duped into PXing a perfectly good car for much less than I could have sold it for. It i more hassle, but the savings on both the purchased car and the sold car can be very large. Also, it is not as thogh Golfs are a difficult car to sell privately. I estimate that the last time I changed my car, I conservatively saved over £1,500. Not bad for a bit of hassle !
Of course if you have a very undesirable or very rough car to sell then maybe trad-in is best, but you will always pay through the nose, as the dealer is looking to make money on both sides of the deal.
Selling cars privately in Dec: Is it hard work? - George Porge
Wipeout, why not copy and paste the ad to the classified section where others here will advise you on how to improve the discription to help you sell successfully?

;o)
Hi everyone.

Thanks for the advice. I realise not having the advert words on the thread isn't too helpful. I didn't want to upset the moderators and be thought of trying to draw attention to my car sale. I am geniunely a bit mistified as to why I've got no interest.

I had problems earlier this with a new Mini Cooper S which I rejected. In the process of rejecting I need another car to keep me going until I decided what to buy and while waiting to get my money refunded (it was a bit messy). So I bought the Golf second hand so that I wouldn't loose too much depreciation, hence why I want to sell it privately. The car has a manufacturer approved extended warranty until April, something they don't take in to account at trade in. I thought a car like mine, if well priced would sell quickly. My new car has arrived so the Golf is cluttering the garage; luckily I don't need the money.

I'll put the add in classified. And I would appreciate feedback, and some comments as to how I can better advertise the car. It's currently on autotrader, only on the web.

Wipeout

Selling cars privately in Dec: Is it hard work? - normd2
IMHO there's just too much information. If I was wanting one of these I'd already know what kit it had - what's wrong with 'many additional extras - call for full details.' You could also perhaps have added a few more pics; I sometimes wonder 'why's he not showing it from THAT side?' Don't suppose being up front about the mileage helps - high miles doesn't bother me but it does bother some people.

Edited by normd2 on 05/12/2007 at 16:25

Selling cars privately in Dec: Is it hard work? - Dave N
A quick look thro' Autotrader online shows plenty of similar cars for less than £9k from traders. Reckon you need to put it up for £7995 to shift it.
Selling cars privately in Dec: Is it hard work? - pyruse
I agree - way over-priced for a 3 year old Golf.
I always give a miss to any ad that fails to mention number of keepers/owners.
There are so many similar Golfs on there, and at lower prices, that WipeOut needs to make his ad stand out. Remove the mundane run-of-the-mill items but emphasise its USP unique selling point. Also, if it has a full VWSH, say so.
Thanks I'll make the add simpler.>> I always give a miss to any ad that fails to mention number of keepers/owners.
There are so many similar Golfs on there and at lower prices that WipeOut needs
to make his ad stand out. Remove the mundane run-of-the-mill items but emphasise its USP
unique selling point. >>
I can't see any cars at £7995. Nearest within 60 miles is £9,973 and that has 30K miles extra? Another is for sales at £10,995 with again 30k miles extra. These cars aren't in the Thames Valley.

A quick look thro' Autotrader online shows plenty of similar cars for less than £9k
from traders. Reckon you need to put it up for £7995 to shift it.
Selling cars privately in Dec: Is it hard work? - CJay{P}
> So I bought the Golf second hand so that I wouldn't loose too much
depreciation hence why I want to sell it privately.

You will be very lucky if you can limit your depreciation to less than £150 a month.