98 1800 Endura Failure to start - ian.h
Hello, I've got 1998(S) Fiesta Courier with an 1800(?) Endura normally aspirated unit in it. It being an excellent starter, it failed to do so this morning. After investigation I discovered that nothing is coming out of the injection pump. I suspect the fuel cut-off solenoid is at fault, but there are three electrical devices on this pump - one on top, one (almost impossible to get at) at the back, and one which clicks when ignition is energised, on the side of the pump, i.e. towards front of vehicle. Which one is the cut-off solenoid?

Secondly, worst case scenario here, I am told that the pump has a separate drive belt. Has this snapped? Is there any way to check this? As the lift pump is incorporated in the injection unit I thought of removing the fuel inlet pipe at filter outlet, putting it into a bottle of diesel and cranking it to see if it will draw it up, but if the solenoid IS at fault, would this prevent the lift pump from operating, thus getting me no further forward?

Any help or ideas would be very welcome.
ian.h
PS. Great website you've got here

slt

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 02/12/2007 at 17:29

98 1800 Endura Failure to start - marty1979
There is a seperate belt that drives the pump, if you remove the cambelt cover you'll see it straight away, or not if it's snapped. I know it's a silly question but have you got fuel in the tank? If you pump the hand primer does it go hard, does it feel spongy? I would take of the fuel pipe that goes to the pump, and press the hand primer until fuel comes out to confirm that there is fuel in the tank. The fuel stop is to the right of the potentiometer (three coloured wires) on the top of the pump under the bracket, you'll see a braided sleeve going into it.
Hi,

Thanks for your input Marty. I'm sorry but I don't know what the potentimeter is or looks like, and do you mean the potentimeter has 3 wires or the fuel stop has 3 wires. This pump has 3 electrical components. If you are looking from the driver's side to the near side, the first (a) is round, on top of the pump and has 3 wires going into it; the second (b) is at the back of the pump and is behind a bracket and also has 3 wires going into it. The third (c) is half way down on the right-hand side and has a single wire going to it, this is the one that clicks when ignition energised. Assuming that the fuel stop is the fault, is it strictly a throw away item or do I stand a chance after cleaning it up? Could have told you colours of wires but hopefully that wont be necessary as that would make it a bit long winded.
Thanks again, Cheers
ian.h
sq
UPDATE TO ORIGINAL MESSAGE

pump belt ok. Have run pipe from bottle of diesel direct to injection pump IN union, cranked, but nothing sucked up or pushed out of pump return union. Could this be an immobiliser problem, despite the warning light on the dash behaving as it should?
ian.h

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 02/12/2007 at 21:48

The fuel stop is behind the bracket, (B) on your list. The thing that clicks is the advance solenoid, and by the sound of it that's working correctly, it should click several times very fast and last for about a second. (A) on your list is the potentiometer, three coloured wires, that just determins when to open the EGR valve. If the belt's ok and there's fuel getting to the tank then I can only asssume that the stop solenoid is your problem, but when they fail they usually mean you can't switch the car off not on. Maybe there is a fault with the immobilser as you said? Have you checked all your fuses?
Hi,I thought I would leave a follow up notice,by way of saying thanks to marty1979 and to anyone else who took an interest in my situation,not to mention the fact that it may help out somebody in the same circumstances. First a little history.I purchased the motor as a non runner,with front end damage,that had been standing in a breakers for a few months.Despite spinning over nicely on a healthy battery it just did not want to know.Eventually somebody suggested we give it a tow,and as I suspected not a peep,that is to say for the first two or three hundred yards and then,just as we were about to give up,bingo,she fired up,and despite a small niggling problem(which I will go into later)has run nicely ever since.
Anyway,although circumstances were entirely different,the problem was the same,ie no fuel being drawn up or delivered to injectors(even though I could stick my gob over the pipe coming from the filter and suck up a mouthful of BPs finest)Well I decided to try it on a tow,and,just as the last time,nothing for 15-20 seconds of spinning nicely in third and then-bang-away she went?Something not quite right somewhere,me suspects, anybody got any ideas?
Right,back to that niggling fault that I mentioned briefly earlier.She tends to hold back intermittently,as if she was hiccuping,but always at about the same throttle position, round third to half pedal.I have tried additives,such as Forte,with no change.Could the two faults be linked in some way?
Once again all input welcome and thanks for your time and help.

ian.h
I'm thinking that you've got a leak in the fuel system somewhere, and when the car's left for a while the fuel drains back to the tank, then you come along to start the car and all that's going through the pump is air. If you take the fuel pipe off of the injector pump and pump the hand primer, fuel should come out straight away. If it doesn't then that's your problem. Have you changed the fuel filter lately? I would do this if you haven't, and when you do make sure you replace the top and bottom seal, most people just change the bottom one as the top one's harder to replace, the rubber goes strange and let's air in.