Rover 400 cambelt - turnin' japanese
I've a Rover 400 SLDi (diesel turbo intercooled).
It has 45,000 on the clock but the service schedule doesnt specify a cambelt change 'til 84,000.
Any history of problems with early failures???
Wondering if I should include it in the next service???

Rover 400 cambelt - Armitage Shanks {p}
Hi, I bought one of these from a dealer at 83,500 and he said he would give it a service before sale. I asked if this would include the cam belt (as I knew it was part of that service); they did it but I think it is quite expensive. Mine runs well but I can't answer your question about early failures. The dealer himself might tell you if there is a history. Have you tried a search of the Backroom Archive?
Rover 400 cambelt - M.M
B,

You are right about the apparently high change mileage on the engines, and the last time I talked to David Lacey (Dr Dave - MG Rover expert) he seemed happy with that.

Having said that I find it hard to leave a timing belt that long and feel far happier with a change at/just after the 50K/5yr mark for any vehicle.

I don\'t have a time for this but guess max 2hrs labour plus belt and tensioner if needed.

The last time a customer of mine pondered over the same decision the belt failed (within mileage) just after he started to think about booking in the job. Trashed almost every one of the 16V and ended up costing near on a grand. (I must point out that was on an Astra EcoTec not a Rover!)

David W
Rover 400 cambelt - David Lacey
Hi all

84K or 7 yrs is the change point for the cambelt and FIP belt on the excellent L Series oil-burner

I've never had one break, either. Well, one, that was a direct result of incorrect tensioning, so that can be discounted altogether.

Book time I think is 2.5hrs but with practice (the first one is always the most time-consuming isn't it?)

Obviously, it's your perogative, but personally, I'd save the money and stick to the manufacturers reccomendations

MG-Rover Questions? Click on www.mg-rover.org