1997 'R' 1.9tdi 115BHP boost issue - hm
Hi all,

Long time no post !

I have a work mate who is running a 1998 VW passet 1.9tdi (115BHP I think) which he had a number of issues with........

The current issue: The car starts fine and runs okay.........but it appears to have little to no 'boost', further more, when the car hits about 3000rpm you here a click and she drops into limp home mode (max speed 45/50 mph)

The garage had replaced the N75 valve, I'm going to check it is piped up correctly for him first, but I'm not too sure that is the issue..........does anyone have any thoughts...the garage seems to think the waste gate is stuck....hummmmmmm

Regards

Hayden Murray

Edited by Webmaster on 28/11/2007 at 10:24

1997 'R' 1.9tdi 115BHP boost issue - Screwloose
hm

Finding out the exact fault code number would be useful. He's complaining of underboost - which will set code 17964; but it's going to limp, which suggests overboost. [17965.]

Yes the turbos coke up - this fault turns up on here about once a week [search for overboost] and on the trade forums about once a day. Although it's fairly easy to clean the turbo; the bill from the dealers is usually £1000+.....

Two other details from the car are needed too. It's right on a change point, so the engine code and the exact registration date. It's all to do with whether, or not, it's got a hose to the ECU.
1997 'R' 1.9tdi 115BHP boost issue - oldtoffee
I don't think the 115bhp tdi was out until T/V Registrations - I had a 2000/V and it was one of the first (in the UK). It's more likely the 90 or 110 bhp non PD model if that has any bearing on the matter. If the TDI badge on the back is all chrome it will be a 90 bhp unit, if the I is red it will be 110 bhp and if the D and the I are red please ignore the above as it will indeed be a 115bhp unit :-)
Screwloose, Hi there....I'm so glad you picked up my post...

I have not plugged the car into to VAG com yet......simply not had time...I plan to take a look tomorrow..

I will update with number and codes in the morning....that SIR ! ! !
Sorry, me again, IF get the error code 17965 can you let me know how to clean turbo...I assume you are talking about cleanng out the wastegate etc...as you know I'm quite familar with the spanner and I do not see it taking very long at all to remove the turbo unit etc............

one other thing, if the N75 was piped up wrong, could that cause the issue?

Thanks Again...
hm

One of the worst mistakes in diagnosis is to get ahead of yourself - this can lead to disaster, or even assumptions.....

First, let's see what we're dealing with. There are many possible causes of that kind of problem and lack of a thorough and structured diagnostic path just leads to cost and grief.

If you've searched those two code numbers; many of the threads have a link to an excellent pictorial how-to-clean-a-VNT guide.

An engine code will positively determine the PS rating.
screwloose,

fyi: 81kw motor, dam, forgot the engine code.....but I'm guessing she is an early model...

the only code showing was Inlet manifold pressure (15 something) which I have seen many times...however..let me tell you the story.

The battery on the car is shot...I collected tha car last night from work...jump started it......drove it gently for about 5mile then booted it.......after a couple of 4500rpms she dropped into limp home mode......I slowed to about 20mph, cut the ignition....turn her back on and away again. Then I tried to make her do it again...even drove it like I'd stole it....never happen again. When I got home(15miles) I put her on the ramps...the acutator on the turbo was nice and free and I could move it with the help of a 10mm spanner becase my hand is too big......

I checked all the hoses over etc, everything was piped correctly.......I have driven the car 30 miles since at all rev ranges and load condiitons...all seems ok!

I'm guessing my 'trashing' has shifte something, but I fear it is only a matter of time before the fault creeps back !

Thanks and Regards

Hayden
hm

Oh, come on....! What engine code AFN; AVG...? [It's on the cam-belt label.] Reg pre - or post 9/97?

19,000 precise fault codes to choose from - and all I get is... it's got a "15" in it.
1997 'R' 1.9tdi 115BHP boost issue - StuartA
Following my recent experience I would check out your vacuum hoses for holes , see my post on TDI130
97 1.9tdi 115BHP boost issue - Closing Thread Out - hm
Okay team, just to close this thread out......

After the car appeared okay again, it came back.........

vacuum hoses etc on the car all checked for leaks etc, and ensured the N75 valve was correctly piped up (I checked this because I knew a garage had recently replaced it)

Then I checked the EGR valve was not stuck open and moving freely (the old suck on a hose test).....this was fine.....next step, check the VNT for free movement...getting under the car I could JUST get my fingers to the actuator, I could not move it, got the 10mm spanner again, yes it moved, but I must admit when I compared the movement to my wifes 2001 Audi, if was not as free........wish I had done that before......

After a quick conversation with the cars owner (who told me the garage wanted £900 +VAT) to fix the issue, and the fact I could source a second hand turbo from my local breakers for £150 (cash ;0) I set to removing the turbo. Took about 45min / 1hour.

The inlet manifold was filled with gunk, so that got a good clean (& the pipe work), then I attack the turbo.... the actuator was still stiff (if not stuck)

Removed the compressor housing and the turbine housing (I did NOT strip out the centre housing because that means messing with the bearing....and since they appeared to be okay best left well alone...)

In one word the complete unit was 'Blocked', took apart the turbine housing the reveal a NVT system......vanes and levers messed up with soot etc........with the aid of the trusty tool box tooth brush and some paraffin I started cleaning........2hours later, a considerably cleaner turbo unit and a freely moving VNT waste gate reassembled.....

Another hour later all back to together (minor cuts etc, the most major from a dam tie wrap......)

Leap of faith, start the car.....plenty of smoke etc on start up but no loud bangs....test drive's everything tip top...........

The owner has had the car back now for almost a month and say it now goes like a rocket and is very happy...........

Thanks for everyone's help........

Edited by hm on 30/12/2007 at 10:13