Advertising Standards (additives etc) ban - oilrag
Anyone remember the car magazines from the early 1960`s and the "change your valve springs every 10,000 miles" adverts? If you didn`t do this the advert then informed of the dire consequences of "valve bounce".

Then there was some change in the advertising standards and those ads were dropped overnight.
(Funny how the car I had also seemed to know and went up to 98,000 miles with no valve bounce on its original valve springs ;)

Now it seems the ubiquitous "Up To" are the weasel words that are inserted (with great skill) into modern (typically fuel or additives) advertisements.

Time for new higher advertising standards to protect the largely naive motoring public from the ploys of very expensively crafted claims?

It seems to me a good start would be for "Up To" to be banned and maximum and minimum figures with percentages to be used. Independently verified and the testing open to peer review.

Over the top? A different world I think with money going into testing instead of the marketing depts who along with their psychologists are just out to `sell the product` with no concerns at all for honesty or integrity towards the life struggles of the average person trying their best to make a choice.

Regards

Edited by oilrag on 24/11/2007 at 08:36

Advertising Standards (additives etc) ban - Cardew
Agree absolutely!

Of course with the Advertising Standards Authority abdicating any responsibility for adverts on the Internet, deception in that medium has become an art form.
Advertising Standards (additives etc) ban - bathtub tom
Nothing wrong with valve bounce. I'm sure it's a much gentler form of rev limiter than modern electronics that cut an engine dead.

Am I giving too much away here about how high I rev mine?
Advertising Standards (additives etc) ban - L'escargot
Nothing wrong with valve bounce.

Read the last sentence of this article. tinyurl.com/36y2pw
--
L\'escargot.
Advertising Standards (additives etc) ban - Lud
Words can be used to get round anything as any poet or adman can tell you.

'Pruneguzzler's Snake Oil, used correctly, will improve fuel economy by up to 30 per cent...'

'Users of Pruneguzzler's Snake Oil report much improved fuel economy, in some cases by as much as 30 per cent...'

And so on. Geddit? Best never ever to believe anything you read at all, unless it's true of course.
Advertising Standards (additives etc) ban - bathtub tom
>>Nothing wrong with valve bounce.
Read the last sentence of this article

So like the apocryphal bumble bee that can't fly, my valves should be sitting on top of the pistons - that's where I'll probably find them one day ;>)
Advertising Standards (additives etc) ban - v0n
Watchdogs behind dvertising standards are toothless tigers. Just look how long Tiscali and other companies advertise "Unlimited broadband" when in fact they have one of most stringent usage limits regulated by so called "fair usage policy" where they decide what's "fair" or not to them without any clear information on the actual hard limits to the customer.
You would imagine in this day and age the limited unlimited character of this product wouldn't fly for too long before its shot down by legislation, and yet the market is full of unprecedensed cliches, made up figures and straight lies - whether its made up lab test fuel consumptions, mascaras that against any biological rules multiply your wives lashes or flights advertised at prices that don't exist in real life.
--------------------
[ Anything I drive can and will be used against me ]