Recovery call out in Motorway Service Stations - pmh
Am I correct in remembering that at one one time the AA or RAC would not attend to a breakdown that happened actually within the bounds of a motorway services. IIRC it was policy to push the broken down vehicle out to the hard shoulder!

The subject came up because SWMBO was recovered with the school minibus from Newport Pagnell SS on a flat bed after the AA failed (or were not interested) in fixing a defective LDV starter motor.

The thought of a bunch of 14 yr old kids bump starting it down the exit slip just appeals to me! HSE eat your heart out.

I suspect that the rules changed when garage facilities disappeared from the service stations.
--

pmh (was peter)

Recovery call out in Motorway Service Stations - Screwloose
pmh

Yes; that used to be the case. Motorway services are private property and some had signed exclusive repair contracts with the on-site garages.

Nowadays; such things are rare.
Recovery call out in Motorway Service Stations - rtj70
I always thought they would come but because you are a safe place you will not be a top priority.
Recovery call out in Motorway Service Stations - jdc
The RAC will definitely come out to you in a service area.

I know - I work for them and have despatched patrols to these places.

jdc
Recovery call out in Motorway Service Stations - rtj70
Had a problem with the car about a year ago on the M6. Revs seemed a little odd and so pulled into the services and called the AA (or was it RAC? It was via Leaseplan).

They arrived in less than an hour. They couldn't find a problem although we agreed it was probably the clutch. I asked if they'd follow me to the next junction and I'd see how it went and would drive back on A roads. The problem was a slipping clutch but when booked in the garage also found a leak in the fuel injection system too.

It wasn't that they didn't want to - it was because the site owners wouldn't, or contracturally couldn't, permit it.

There were many blacklisted places - car parks of pubs with hostile licencees were often out of bounds to patrols.
Recovery call out in Motorway Service Stations - Simon
>>AA failed (or were not interested) in fixing a defective LDV starter motor.

Go on then, what did you expect the AA to do with a knackered LDV starter motor at Newport Pagnell services?
Recovery call out in Motorway Service Stations - bell boy
give it a smack with a hammer for starters (starters for starters)
Recovery call out in Motorway Service Stations - pmh
bb
Exactly.

But I am told that they are difficult to get at on the LDV (diesel) and it was raining.

I since have discovered that there is some history to starter failures on this particular minibus. The starter motor has been replaced once recently and it has since failed twice when out ,and it would appear that there maybe a defective cable or loose connection. Classic 'click' on operating key to start. A little investigation may not have gone amiss.
--

pmh (was peter)

Recovery call out in Motorway Service Stations - gordonbennet
>>AA failed (or were not interested) in fixing a defective LDV starter motor.
Go on then what did you expect the AA to do with a knackered LDV
starter motor at Newport Pagnell services?

Give it a pull start so the driver could get to their destination/ to someone who could fix the blessed thing
Give it a pull start so the driver could get to their destination/ to someone
who could fix the blessed thing

Back in the good old days, that would have been an automatic response; bump it, tow it, roll it down a slope - "There you go squire; mind you don't stall it - oh, you're too kind, a tenner tip would have been adequate....."

However; in these enlightened days you have to carry out a risk assessment for their 'elf and safety.

What happens if the driver stalls it pulling out on to a fast road in front of a six-axle?

With splattered kids everywhere, it isn't going to be long before the cortege-chasing lawyers will be claiming telephone numbers and spouting soundbites... "Let them continue in a death-trap... should've recovered it... chose to take the cheap way out."

Life isn't simple anymore - or even worth living.
Recovery call out in Motorway Service Stations - bell boy
a £10 ?
i would have done it for a bluee
as said though not anymore,
last time i did a favour for somebody like that i melted a fusebox :-(
Recovery call out in Motorway Service Stations - Simon
Screwloose has hit the nail smack on the head with regards to what I was getting at in most post earlier. Its all about health and safety and covering your own backside with regards to repairs. Gone are the days of making a temporary repair or just getting something going as if it doesn't make it back, the customer will be the first one on the phone complaining. Its tends to be a case of either fix it properly or get it recovered - end of story.

Oh and with a minibus full of schoolkids, the consequences of it encountering further problems on the way back will just cause even more headaches. I can see it now, the story in the paper - AA man bodges repair on school minibus and vehicle cuts out and won't restart on motorway leading to accident etc.

Sometimes its not worth the hassle of trying.
Recovery call out in Motorway Service Stations - gordonbennet
Reckon i'd still be by the roadside from breakdowns twenty years ago the way things are shaping up.

My firms vehicle breakdown and the tyre breakdown service employs a call centre....WHY.. they are as much use as the proverbial chocolate teapot! They dont know where anywhere is in the country (mind you they could be anywhere in the world), they dont know one end of a vehicle from the other, the only thing you can guarantee is that when the fitter (used to be a mechanic with the most likely parts to repair) turns up he will have been given the wrong location, the wrong defect and the wrong type of vehicle, and his journey is a waste of time cos it needs towing in to go on the laptop!!!!

My last two breakdowns, one tyre, one faulty starter, on both occasions i have stressed till i'm blue in the face the exact problem/exact type (eg steer axle) tyre required.

No prizes for guessing what they turned out with, why why why do i continually waste my breath.

Do you lads like me sometimes feel like screaming?

Recovery call out in Motorway Service Stations - b308
My last two breakdowns one tyre one faulty starter on both occasions i have stressed
till i'm blue in the face the exact problem/exact type (eg steer axle) tyre required.
No prizes for guessing what they turned out with why why why do i continually
waste my breath.
Do you lads like me sometimes feel like screaming?

Perhaps jdc would like to comment, as he seems to work in one of those centres you mentioned......
Recovery call out in Motorway Service Stations - Harmattan
I hadn't thought about it before but perhaps this is one justification for joining one of the breakdown services that uses local garages. Last year I had a starter problem on the M6 (I think it was the services just above Knutsford) and called Britannia to which my wife has a family membership of some kind. As it was a bit of manipulation and banging got the car going about one minute before the breakdown truck arrived. It turned out he had come from the premises on the opposite side of the services so no arguments over call-out rights. He was also very helpful and insisted on the car being restarted a few times and on checking that the battery was well charged since it was night-time and the motor had had a bit of churning on the battery only.
Recovery call out in Motorway Service Stations - normd2
Mostly I've never had a problem when calling out whatever rescue service I've been with although there was one memorable phone call to one who have a pennant the colour of grass which went something like this (abridged version):

me: hi I've lost all my coolant
she: ok where are you?
me: M90, just south of Bridge of Earn
she: what junction is that?
me: (already wound up, in the pouring rain, kids up to high doh, missus upset) can't remember but it's just south of Bridge of Earn.
she: if you can't tell me the junction number I can't send a patrol 'cos they won't know where to look.
me: the motorway is only 25 miles long, how hard can it be?
she: junction number or no patrol
me: so you want me to walk 3 miles back down the hard shoulder to find out the last junction number?
she: yes
me:
fortunately I knew the number of the garage they would send out and called them myself once I'd hung up and out they came.

I'm now with a very nice man....