Some Model Advice - highguyuk
Hey,

Looking to purchase an 03/04 plate Seat Leon SE.

Originally had my heart set on the 1.8 (non Cupra/FR) and having been for a test drive I felt this was the car for me. However, had continued my research into the models and the 1.8 is listed as to be avoided on What Car - although this gives no justification into the verdict. There also doesn't seem to be many cars with low enough miles in good enough condition around to purchase and I'm now looking towards the 1.6.

The 1.6 seems readily available, and mainly private owners which I would prefer. The price range also seems to be lower, partly due to the amount on the market.

Does anyone have any comments on the 1.6/1.8, or why the 1.8 would be rated "as to be avoided". Also, I'm struggling to find the difference between the SE and the SX models, they seem the same to me!

Some Model Advice - FotheringtonThomas
Does anyone have any comments on the 1.6/1.8 or why the 1.8 would be rated
"as to be avoided".

Have you looked in HJ's "car by car breakdown"?
Yes.

The breakdown does not mention the SX/SE/S models at all, and there is very little mention of the 1.8.

Other reviews elsewhere tend to focus on the FR/Cupra versions too, which is great for those who wish to purchase the higher end - but rubbish for people who want the more basic versions.

Some Model Advice - Kuang
I think the SX gets climate control, where the SE makes do with basic aircon, and that's about it :) I have no idea why they'd rate the 1.8 down though. unless it's because it sits three or so groups above the 1.6 and isn't arguably that much faster.. fair bit more torque though. The 1.8 turbo is an absolute gem, feels completely unstressed and pulls like a train but you pay for it with Group 16 insurance..
Some Model Advice - I'm a Pane
1.8 is probably marked down for the same reliability problems as its VW cousins with same engines. Mind you 1.6 seems to have its fair share. I would go for a TDi-a bit noisier but goes on forever and masses of torque and MPG.

Pete (former toledo tdi owner)
I'm afraid Diesel is just not for me!

It's nice to have a change and drive the work Diesel (Although, it's the 1.7 Astra Estate) but I really like getting back into my petrol!

Think I'm heading towards the 1.6 ... need to do some research into the 1.8 VW engines, didn't realise they had alot of problems...