IN 'n' OUT Servicing - Roadster
Came across two branches of IN 'n' OUT whilst driving through Northampton today.

They claim to service your car in 15mins using a ?pit-lane? style system. Think they've offered similar in the US before.

They have two branches in Northampton and few others around the country I think. They only offer servicing ? no suppy, fitting or sales of parts etc ? and their prices seem very competitive (currently a special offer of a full service for £79).

Any thoughts on the viability / quality of the offering? Anyone had any experience of them?

They have a website:

www.in-n-out.co.uk/
IN 'n' OUT Servicing - kithmo
"IN 'n' OUT" stamp in your service log could be confusing to prospective purchasers and would probably have as much value as "DIY".

-----------------------------------------------
2005 Ford Mondeo Zetec 2.0 TDCi 130ps
IN 'n' OUT Servicing - Carse
So they can change and/or service
oil
plugs (petrol)
air filter
oil filter
pollen filter
fuel filter (most diesels)
check brake health
check lights
tyre check
check all fluids
grease all hinges and contact points etc... in 15 mins

I think as with anything quick and cheap you will only get what you pay for.

Carse

Edited by Carse on 20/11/2007 at 13:11

IN 'n' OUT Servicing - bell boy
15 minutes is quick
they must suck the oil out of the sump?
IN 'n' OUT Servicing - adverse camber
looking at the web site, the 'service' is an oil&oil filter change.
Plus they will top up coolant/screenwash/power steering fluid and check tyre pressures.
Oh and lubricate the steering (whatever that means)

All this for only £99.

Am I alone in being underwhelmed?
IN 'n' OUT Servicing - Number_Cruncher
>>15 minutes is quick

Yes, but when you look at what they actually *do*, it isn't much (it's listed if you have a bit of click around the site). This level of service for Vauxhall used to have a 0.5 hours labour time, and it would be routine t make 0.1 hours of bonus on it (even without any extra work), so 15 minutes if they use a lane system (which is rare in the UK) isn't a silly time.

Note the weasel words of "check brake health". I suspect the wheels remain on, and the brakes are tested on a roller machine like during an MOT. Probably the lining thickness is checked with a mirror for discs, and by taking rubber plugs out of the backplate for drums.

The fee is also nothing special IMO.

I suspect that the stamp will have all the authority and kudos of one from a fast fit place - i.e., none whatsoever.

Number_Cruncher
IN 'n' OUT Servicing - mike hannon
Steering joints haven't needed lubricating for more than 30 years.
IN 'n' OUT Servicing - Bill Payer
The time taken is a bit of a red herring as this sort of operation may well have several people working on the car at once.
IN 'n' OUT Servicing - Ruperts Trooper
The website says they have four mechanics working at once.
IN 'n' OUT Servicing - yorkiebar
It doesnt matter how many people they have working on the car it still takes the same time to drain the oil out of the car!

Backed by a big company too i believe. That doesnt make it good (or bad ) either.

Personally I would ask what qualifications the mechanics have? Where do they get their parts from? It could easily take over 1 hour for parts to arive etc. Do they follow the service schedule for your car or is it a general check they follow. Every car has a different requirement at service time as detailed by the vehicle assembler. So what service are you actually getting there? No wheels off to check brakes/discs/hoses/joints/gaiters is not good in my book.

Different people checking each corner of the car is not ideal for a proper service in my book. Unlikely each person will have the same opinion of wear/play/life expectancy/problems to look out for etc. Is ok for pit stop in a race; thats not a service!

Use them if their marketing is good enough to convince you!
IN 'n' OUT Servicing - OldSock
In 'n' out servicing, eh? I'll let the missus know......

Got to be better than DIY.

Edited by OldSock on 20/11/2007 at 14:41

In a bit more detail;

We change
Oil
OilFilter

Set the oil draining as soon as the car's on the ramp. Keeping oil filters for most modern cars in stock isn't too difficult. A box of assorted copper washers will do for the sump plug - or perhaps they suck the oil out.

The work of a couple of minutes - tops, and requires no special skill.

We fil
Coolant
Window washer fluid
Power steering fluid
Tyres to the correct pressure

So, you survey the engine bay, and top up anything that's a bit low. Again takes virtually no time, and no real skill. Checking tyre pressures - takes a minute or two, again, no special skill required.

We lubricate
Steering

Not sure what they mean here, but, as most cars don't need any special steering lubrication, this takes no time at all! (and an equal level of skill!)

We check

Air filter - the work of a minute or two
Brake fluid - already looked at as part of the fluid check - they might check the boiling point
Vehicle undercarriage - a quick swish round with a torch
All lights - probably checked as the car was driven in - a couple of strategically placed mirrors makes this the work of seconds

For engine bay leaks - another swish round with a torch
Wiper blades - again, the wipers can be checked as the car is driven in, and a detailled look at the blades is again, seconds of effort
Transmission fluid - check the level - a couple of minutes
Tyre condition - you look as you go round topping up the pressures, takes more time to write the results than it does to make the check

If you can keep a lane like this busy, then it's a good way to make money. £400 per hour, with 4 unqualified mechanics, a parts man and a shirt and tie wearer to pay out of it.

For this work - remember, there's no diagnostics, no fitting of parts, just servicing, it would be a waste to use qualified mechanics. The difference between people's judgement isn't avoided if you take a car to a normal garage - it might be serviced by slack Harry, or anal Andrew, you usually don't get to choose.

Not taking wheels off during minor services was usual practice in the chain of Vauxhall dealers where I worked. Althouh it's not ideal, it's not uncommon practice.

Although we car enthusiasts probably wouldn't take our cars there, I suspect they'll be a great success, and as a business model, perhaps it's good one. Cars have never been easier to service, because despite people's fear of electronics, they aren't touched during a service, there's no tricky points or carburettors to set up. In short, it's a job which doesn't take any great skill.

Now, finding and repairing a tricky fault, that's a different kettle of fish altogether. It takes time, money, equipment, skill, tenacity, and knowledge, and it offers poor returns - no wonder they have not included it in their business model. Effectively, like the tyre batterry and exhaust places, they have looked at the total job of car maintenance, and picked out the easy, quick, and lucrative parts. In their shoes, it's what I would do.

Number_Cruncher
IN 'n' OUT Servicing - milkyjoe
how long do they give to let the tyres cool down so that they can get an accurate tyre pressure reading?
IN 'n' OUT Servicing - bell boy
how long do they give to let the tyres cool down so that they can
get an accurate tyre pressure reading?

>>>>>>>>>> the same amount of time it takes the man in the suit to say to 'YOU' get that thing out and dont come back.....................................ever. ;-)
"Keeping oil filters for most modern cars in stock isn't too difficult. A box of assorted copper washers will do for the sump plug"

You are probably a bit out of date NC. Possible to keep an assortment of sealing washers in stock (very few are copper now though), but virtually impossible to keep a range of filters in that would cover more than 20 cars. Even main dealers struggle to keep all the filters for their marque! Fact!

"For this work - remember, there's no diagnostics, no fitting of parts, just servicing, it would be a waste to use qualified mechani"cs. The difference between people's judgement isn't avoided if you take a car to a normal garage - it might be serviced by slack Harry, or anal Andrew, you usually don't get to choose.

Not taking wheels off during minor services was usual practice in the chain of Vauxhall dealers where I worked. Althouh it's not ideal, it's not uncommon practice."

And if you consider this to be a model business and good for the motorist then you are under estimating what 99% of garages (independant and main dealer) do.

Compare it to a fast fit place where they tell you they are changing oil and filter by all means; but don't compare it to a service! All it is, is a quick check (what every motorist should be checking monthly at the very least) and an oil and filter change!
IN 'n' OUT Servicing - Rattle
Err I don't really get it, I paid £80 for an oil change, new filter, new airfilter (no new plugs), fitting of heater control valve, adjustment to rear brakes and a general quick check. All the tanks were topped up too which is something I said he didn't need to bother with as I would do it myself.

Many fast fit centres will do an oil change and filter for £30 though I wouldn't trust them.

I would trust these places personaly.

IN 'n' OUT Servicing - cheddar
>>(currently a special offer of a full service for £79). >>

I had my Mondeo serviced the other day at the Ford dealer for £99, while I waited (well went shopping), 2 hours, a offer that applies to 3 year old cars and older though it was a full service, wheels off etc, inc air filter, it was only a fuel filter and polen filter away from a major service though they did the later FOC because when I enquired I was told it was included and they honoured that.

To cap it all it included a £25 M&S voucher which arrived in the post with Ford's compliments about 5 days later so netted to £74.

Still FFSH, a no brainer!

Edited by cheddar on 20/11/2007 at 19:33

IN 'n' OUT Servicing - Galaxy
On their website it states that they can do an Xpress MOT in 30 minutes for £49.

An MOT in 30 minutes? How can this be possible when the car has to be logged into the VOSA computer for at least 40minutes?

Questions need to be asked!

IN 'n' OUT Servicing - Aprilia
An MOT in 30 minutes? How can this be possible when the car has to
be logged into the VOSA computer for at least 40minutes?

>

That's a myth.
>>You are probably a bit out of date NC.

Blissfully!, but cars and servicing haven't changed that much!

>>Even main dealers struggle to keep all the filters for their marque! Fact!

The incompetent ones always have struggled! It's not beyond the wit of a good partsman - it can't be - there aren't an infinite number of part numbers required to cover a reasonable range.

>>And if you consider this to be a model business

Yes, it will make money - in the purely business sense it's at least good, if not excellent

>>and good for the motorist

I didn't say that, and here's where we are in complete agreement, it's not great for the motorist, but if you aren't too bothered about your car, it's possibly not a bad option.

>>then you are under estimating what 99% of garages (independant and main dealer) do.

No, I'm not. However, that's precisely my point - they have taken one of the quickest, most lucrative offerings, and packaged it up to appeal to the type of customer who services their car as a distress purchase, rather than as a considered part of their motoring - i.e., it's probably not aimed at the sort of person who looks in here regularly, who has read their owners manual, understands their car's service schedule; these types either uses the dealer, or have sought out a good independent.

>>but don't compare it to a service!

It **is** a service - just like you would get at a dealer. Not a major service, with plugs, air filter, fuel filter, wheels and drums off, etc but a basic lube service isn't far off this spec. For Vauxhalls, this was the 9, 27, 45, etc, etc service, with the big ones at 18, 36, 54, etc, etc. Since I've been out of the trade, I know that services have fewer aspects*, and involve less time (I might not work there any more, but I have kept in touch)

* For one example, there's no need to warm the car up to set the CO anymore, because since closed loop systems became compulsory, it's no longer adjustable - hence you don't service it anymore.

Number_Cruncher
Sorry to disagree then.

It does not remotely compare to a minor service for any recent (1990 onwards) vauxhall or any other car that I know of either, let alone a "major" service! Check list alone is probably 2 to 3 pages! And wheels dont come of for a service? How on earth do they manage to measure the disc wear to advise that they need changing !

And I repeat my comment about filters. I will let another trade person confirm this rather than argue back and forwards. Just as a point of supporting info though, my local motor factor regularly (most days) supplies filters, and other parts, to Ford, Vauxhall, Peugeot, Citroen dealers in town. They are not all incompetent I am sure!

Agree loosely with comment about time for Mot too; although there is no minimum time that must be taken, the Vosa men do keep an eye out for any station getting through too many tests too regularly. Fact!
OK, the small service time allowance for our 53 Astra 1.6 is 1.1 hours (higher up when I said 0.5 hours, I had mis-remembered, it was actually 0.9 hours). So, getting 4 mechanics to do it in 15 minutes isn't acheiving the impossible.

>>And wheels dont come of for a service?

Typically not for a small service. - It's not how you would do. It isn't how I do it now, but that is how it *can* be done, without going against the service schedule.

>>How on earth do they manage to measure the disc wear

You measure from inside the wheel, using a micrometer - usually, you don't need the wheel off to get in.

Number_Cruncher

Edited by Number_Cruncher on 20/11/2007 at 20:07

I've just reviewed the current Vauxhall service schedule. The basic service is almost as per this garage's list. The only major thing on Vauxhall's list that isn't offered by this firm is the road test. There are a couple of trivial items, like checking the battery terminals and looking at the green ball battery hydrometer.

All of the other jobs, wheels off, drums off, change brake fluid, change diesel fuel filter, adjust valve clearances, adjust clutch pedal, change key remote batteries etc, are either not needed until a major service, or are extra items, for which an extra labour time is chargeable beyond the cost of either the major or minor service.

Number_Cruncher
Just a few "trivial" checks off my vauxhall list that would take most of the time allowed by them without the rest of the service!

Fault code check
ABS system operation, only after roller brake check
Cooling system pressure test
Wheel bolt tightness
Air con system check (if fitted )
Seat belt operation
Locks and hinges check and lube
Road Test (15 mins minimum?)

I could go on!
>>my vauxhall list

Your list might be different to mine - although my list is from Opel themselves, rather than being provided by an intermediary like Autodata. Where's your list from?

Fault code check - not on the Opel list

ABS system operation, only after roller brake check - part of the road test, as mentioned in my post

Cooling system pressure test - not on the Opel list [the logic for this is that if the vehicle has lost significant coolant, this should be reported to the customer, and follow up work agreed - if it hasn't lost significant coolant, you don't need to do a pressure test, because de facto, there's no leak]

Wheel bolt tightness - yes, that's on my list too, but not on the in 'n out list

Air con system check (if fitted ) - part of the road test, as mentioned in my post

Seat belt operation - trivial to check as you lube the doors up

Locks and hinges check and lube - that's included on the in 'n out service list, and the Opel service list

Road Test (15 mins minimum?) - yes, I mention that the road test is among the most obvious omissions from their list

Number_Cruncher

IN 'n' OUT Servicing - Simon
>>how long do they give to let the tyres cool down so that they can get an accurate
>>tyre pressure reading?

I would guess about the same length of time that the general public wait when they pull into a fuel station to check their tyres with the 20p air machine.
IN 'n' OUT Servicing - Alby Back
Funnily enough was having a conversation on this subject with a mate recently. We are both self-employed in the same industry and both need cars which will carry a lot of kit comfortably/economically on a daily basis for unusually high mileages. Coincidentally we both chose the same type/model of diesel estate car. ( Some would say they are Mundane ) Mine has always been fully serviced (albeit at an independant garage) on the button every 12.5k. It recently passed thru' 130k mls with so far no probs at all except one replacement headlamp bulb a while back. Mate's car has done 215k mls with no probs but has only ever had splash and dash oil / filter brake check while-you-wait-job. Neither car will be replaced until they shuffle off their mortals so (depreciation = irrelevant) His "service" costs will be much less than mine so maybe I'm the mug ? Or maybe he's just been lucky eh ?
IN 'n' OUT Servicing - jbif
His "service" costs will be much less than mine so maybe I'm the mug ?

Hello shoespy. I agree with that conclusion.

I also agree with all of Number-Cruncher's comments, and Aprilia's comment re. the MOT time myth. i have heard that there are now VOSA approved fast-track MOT in-out bays. Even my local Kwik-fit stocks air and oil filters for most cars.
For an outfir like "IN 'n' OUT Servicing", it will be their Modus Operandi to stock to cover the majority of common makes & models.

I fear that Yorkiebar as a one-man band may be out of touch with how the big chains operate. Will this discussion does not lead to another I say Hello, you say Goodbye. ;-)

Goodnight all. May your Ulla uh Ukbur go with you.
IN 'n' OUT Servicing - L'escargot
..... Ulla uh Ukbur ........

Eh?
--
L\'escargot.
IN 'n' OUT Servicing - normd2
not sure this is appropriate here - this is what suicide bombers are alleged to say before they hit the switch.....

I think he was going more for a Dave Allen type 'may your god go with you'
IN 'n' OUT Servicing - mike hannon
Don't think I fancy the idea of several people working on my car at once. Presumably if something goes wrong afterwards there's no individual to take responsibility...not that they would anyway, I guess.
IN 'n' OUT Servicing - CQ
One to grease the steering wheel and seat,one to retune your radio,one to nick your parking change from the ashtray and one to laugh at your c.d. collection. sounds about right.
I may well be a 1 man band. I may well be out of touch.

More likely that I am more in touch than you and NC are though. My vauxhall provided service list, is similar to my autodata (there are small differences). However, my vauxhall list and my conversation with my local vauxhall dealers confirms the following ;

A fault code check is made at EVERY service. There may be faults logged, but no management light showing.

A coolant check is made at EVERY service because again it may show up faults (or pre empt them) that are not known at the visit. E.g head gasket, expansion cap.

My vauxhall dealer reminded me that for many cars it may well be the only time in 12months or more that the bonnet has been opened and that it is probably the only safety check the car gets (unless it qualifies for an mot).

Our lists may differ, and I may well be out of touch as you say. But I am just asking you to understand that a oil and filter change with the quick check that accompanies it is not equivalent to a proper service as per the manufacturer list. Admittedly the chain are not saying that it is (but how many people willassume it is; especially if the clever people of this site tell people how similar they are!)

I also phoned the company in question about what happens if they dont have the filter in stock at the time of a visit; which I maintain is virtually impossible. Their answer surprised me (for the worst). You may like to ask them before you choose who "services" your car!
Our lists and our experience differs Yorkiebar (which is fine, because this after all, a discussion - we aren't giving evidence in court, and neither of our posts will be read by anyone with any sense as being in any way authoritative or definitive).

I could direct you to a Vauxhall dealer that doesn't pressure test coolant systems (they do an anti-freeze strength check though) and they don't routinely read fault codes out.

However, in one respect, we are in absolute agreement - neither of us would recommend such servicing. I suspect that because this site is visited by enthusiastic types, in this regard, we would both be preaching to the choir!

I forgot to mention another reason why I think the business is good **from a business point of view**. By having such a throughput of service work, you get th opportunity to pick off the lucrative tyre, battery, exhaust, friction types of work, which you would do by appointment, away from the service lane. Keeping the service lane busy and flowing at 4 services per hour is of vital importance to this type of operation. I strongly suspect that any more involved work would result in the customer being referred to the dealer.

Number_Cruncher
IN 'n' OUT Servicing - conara
Hay just my two bits on this !! But took a c class in as I had identified a fault as
The fuel filter or the M.A.S and they had just opened close to my house their top service 160.00 to do all !!! (wow) so I asked what was included they don't change fuel filter (well not on my petrol) but flush the system !!! Cool ,, but their flushing a system is to add petrol additive witch could infect and block a fuel filter !! And they have no equipment to read and reset the management system so in my humble opinion , most of what they offer oil levels pressures are the stuff we should do ourselves, to keep a car safe, come on washer bottle levels grease doors geeezzzz if we can't do that we should not own a car, and oil change for 30.00 you can get all you need to enable you to do oil changes for the rest of your life and then you can feel so smug that you saved the cash and use that to pay a good local independent to do the major service every few years so in N out I stay out !!!
IN 'n' OUT Servicing - Dutchie

Interesting discussion enjoy reading all the different comments there is a lot of knowledge on this site.

I wouldt use this I like to have a look under the bonnet ones in a while and check various items .But why not use this system ? If its cheap and it works for you at least some items are checked which a lot of people don't bother with.

IN 'n' OUT Servicing - jc2

I can remember "flowline" servicing on the 50's.

I suppose you can be right, horses for courses and all that !!! But I hate the idear of people getting "stiffed" when they use places like this , they cater for a market of people who probably have a lower knowlage than people who would use this site and like my mate who think that engin oil at 3.99 a galon is a bargain. For the in N outs of the world I would say they have a good buisness model because I bet they probably have low level fitters working not mechanics or a true mechanical engineer, so good luck to them but I will keep my cash in my wallet along with the moths, ( dam I sound like a grumpy old man )
IN 'n' OUT Servicing - jc2

Servicing in most dealers(including large main)is usually done by the latest apprentice-why would they put a skilled fitter(let alone an engineer)on that job?

I don't disagree with your statement , if you look at most they will use fitters or apprentice as senior engineers are need to generate a higher R.O.I and are expected to be delivering atleast a utilisation rate of at least 90% I know a few delivering 160% but work for a main deler who dose not employ fitters or aprenteces but my humble coments were based on my exsperance of a visit to in N out, and not the state of the motor industy so my apologies if it is taken the wrong way
IN 'n' OUT Servicing - Dutchie

Hello conara.

Don't apologise for your opinion its yours and you are entitled to it.

As they say in the states have a nice day.:)

IN 'n' OUT Servicing - Leif
It does seem expensive. I use the local Ford dealer once a year for the annual service, and they do the full monty as required by the service schedule, and basic charges are not expensive. They will also know about recalls and any non-recall problems that need fixing. I should use a good independent, as the main dealer does get pricey when big work needs doing.