difference between petrol & diesel fuel additives? - carbike
Does anyone know the difference between petrol and diesel fuel additives and what would be the effect of putting diesel additive in a petrol car? - Thanks

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 20/11/2007 at 00:44

Fuel additives - Screwloose

Nobady really knows what's in most of them - if there's anything at all.

Diesel additives may contain silicon; that will severely damage the oxygen sensor and the cat in a petrol car.
Fuel additives - Aprilia
Probably just a can of parafin, but you'll never find out. I wouldn't use any kind of additive.
Fuel additives - oilrag
Don`t some of the diesel additives claim to remove water from the fuel system?

Perhaps a little alcohol to absorb it and then on through those precision fuel pumps and injectors. While left alone with no additive any water would just remain safely in the water trap at the bottom of the filter waiting to be drained off.

not that i`ve ever seen more than about 3 drops of water, cumulatively over 130,000 miles on one car.
I just see this type of additive as `nice little earners` for the company. Bet they have big tanks of it, then decant it into little plastic bottles at a fantastic mark up. A really fantastic mark up that eclipses anything else they produce, such as engine oil.

Priced to a market and functioning as an anxiety reducer, reduction in anxiety acting as a reinforcer. If they`re smart, they will have had a psychologist involved with the packaging and advertising.

regards ;)
Fuel additives - Collos25
Snake oil comes in different flavours and is commonly used with a dose of rocking horse excrement normally has a positive effect on the brain a negative effect on the wallet and no effect on the engine.
Fuel additives - FP
I would beg to differ when it comes to Miller's Diesel Sport, but that would be reinforcing the fact that the thread is going off-topic. So I won't mention it.
Fuel additives - garagepete
At the risk of stating the obvious.... don't put the wrong one in

Some trade-only additives are great, not so sure about the high street ones...