1996 diesel - Coolant in passenger footwell - jeremyb
Found a puddle in the passenger footwell of my 306 today, and thought I had a leaky door. After soaking it up, realised it smelt of coolant, and sure enough, opened the reservoir and I've lost several pints. Thinking back to yesterday, I did turn the heater on for a few minutes, and it smelt of coolant.

I changed the coolant about 10 months ago and flushed the system, so I've done what I think I should have done maintenance-wise? It's a 1996 306 diesel with 49k on it.

What is the problem? Heater matrix? How do I get at the system and find the leak? Any help much appreciated. Thanks.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/11/2007 at 18:48

Coolant in passenger footwell of my '96 306- help! - thomp1983
likely a heater matrix, not a nice job for this time of year

chris
Coolant in passenger footwell of my '96 306- help! - spikeyhead {p}
Changing the heater matrix is a straightforwards job. Buy a new heater matrix and just swap all the parts on the car onto the new heater matrix. IIRC the book time for the job is NINE hours.

Is it possible that it's just a pipe onto the matrix? in which case the job may be considerably cheaper and simpler.
--
I read often, only post occasionally
Coolant in passenger footwell of my '96 306- help! - thomp1983
only pipes i remember are in the engine bay running through to the matrix so would still require removing parts.

ive done several heater matrixes and no there not 2 bad if you don't mind bending up under the dash and watching the dash get stripped bare, ive found removing the front seats helps alot and a decent digital camera and plenty of containers with lids for the bits. the new part is about £40 from euro car parts but as has been said it's 9 hours book time or a whole weekend for a beginner, or the thick end of £400

id say do it yourself with a haynes manual it's simple just not fun

chris