Buying a 1.2 04 Micra 'S' - I have a few niggles - Rattle
Firstly it is advertised with 26k but its showing 30k. The other few niggles is that there is a bit of rust on the front valance and the garage is changing the cambelt before sale. I am not well up with Nissan's but surely it is too premature to change the belt?

Either its clocked and he knows its about to snap or he just wants to be certain there will be no come back?

Just wanted some advice.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 18/11/2007 at 19:33

Friend wants to buy a Micra - I have a few niggles - Dynamic Dave
I am not well up with Nissan's but surely it is too premature to change the belt?

Yes, low mileage, but they're probably operating on the 'x' years are now up and therefore needs changing. Most, if not all manufacturers specify belts should be changed at 'x' mileage or 'x' years - whichever comes soonest.

ps, edited a couple of typos in your post ;o)
Friend wants to buy a Micra - I have a few niggles - Rattle
Thanks and what about the rust? Too new have rust? My Fiesta is 10 years old and has none, so am very surprised such a young Micra does.
Friend wants to buy a Micra - I have a few niggles - Kuang
I thought all Micras had chains instead of belts? The K11 certainly does and although I've heard of people recommending you change them at 60k I've known a lot that have gone up to double that with regular oilchanges - mine is on 97k and running fine.

Silly question, but have you checked the mileage against the service history? If it's all main dealer, Nissan will happily verify it.
Friend wants to buy a Micra - I have a few niggles - bell boy
what year is micra young rattle me laddy?
Friend wants to buy a Micra - I have a few niggles - Pugugly {P}
its post 2003 from the drop down menu - rust !!!
Friend wants to buy a Micra - I have a few niggles - Aprilia
Some of the old K11's would rust under the front (very little protection applied) but the K12's look very sound from what I've seen. Difficult to comment withou knowing the full story. If there's rust at valance seams it could have had body repair.....
I've not seen the car personaly but yep indeed a repair is what I was thinking. She was told the belt cam belt is being changed, however I know nothing about Micra's so have no idea if they are belt or chain driven.

Its £4500 for an S spec 04 plate.

The car seems ok apart from what has been discussed.
Friend wants to buy a Micra - I have a few niggles - deepwith
Mine isn't here to check, but its front is plastic I think - I know the wings are - and a chaincam not belt.
Its a 1.2 unit if that helps, don't know if its 8 or 16v.
i posted some pictures on here a few months ago on a one owner low mileage micra as the front cross member was so rotten it literally all fell out,i replaced it made a neat job and i still got complaints from jo public that the car had been up a tree ,so you cant win sometimes,i might as well have put some fag papers over the holes and some underseal and punters are happy, do the job properly and every man and his dog knows better than me.

rattle to be honest if the x-member is rotten its quite likely the sills at the rear and the whole rear floorpan above the rear axle is rotten too,get down and get under as they say
mileage is easy to get wrong if you are doing loads of adverts by the way
My thoughts exactly - and ironicaly the Ka she has no is so rotten underneath she is getting rid before MOT next year.

I am just gob smacked that a Micra so new could have any rust on it at all.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 19/11/2007 at 20:55

i reapplied paint to factory primer on my w reg nissan only yesterday,i still cant believe the factory at sunderland were so lax in letting good cars out of the gate with the same underbody protection of a 1959 mini
Friend wants to buy a Micra - I have a few niggles - McP
I have read that the K12 Micra can stretch the chain, leading to a repair bill of around £1k.

Have no idea how common the problem is though. You only see the bad cars on forums!
Maybe your friend should do a bit of research?

Personally I would be put off by a dealer claiming to be changing a part that the car doesn't have.
I didn't go to look at a Primera because it had 'just had a cambelt service'.

I replaced the crossmember on the Mrs K11 before she sold it last year.
It took 2 full days but I did a great job. Sprayed it with stone-chip paint.
I was very dissapointed that the buyer didn't even look under the front.
Friend wants to buy a Micra - I have a few niggles - Screwloose
Rattle

If it's got a cambelt, then it's a diesel. If it's not, then there's skullduggery going on if "changing the belt" is part of the deal. Even if it's a diesel, why would they? It's not due on time [5 yrs] or mileage. [72,000]

The two roller chains on the K11 [>2003] are sort of OK-ish but certainly do go; the failure rate of the Morse-type chains on the K12 [2003<] CR engines is a scandal and those cars should not be touched with a bargepole.

They can fail in only 5,000m from new [what "lubrication issue" can there be then?] and cost upwards of £1400 to replace. Some have needed doing twice in 50K.
thanks people

Sounds like it was just a spin to make it sound good, petty the seller didn't check how cam is driven as this may have cost him a sale.
oh....... he was buying a bug micra,thought they were for women only
Friend wants to buy a Micra - I have a few niggles - Aprilia
BellBoy

Your comments about rusty X-member are for K11 surely? This is a K12..
yes Aprilia i pontificated at 19.17 last night and the header was changed at 19.32 :-(