Clutch judder in cold damp weather - Drage
Our faithful Punto has been in the family from new and has now done 55K. I wonder if any Backroomers can provide a scientific explanation as to why we have always noticed quite a marked clutch judder when taking up 1st gear when the weather turns cold and damp. It disappears after running the car for 10 mins or so but is very irritating!
Clutch judder in cold damp weather - Aprilia
I have noticed this over the years on various cars - particularly GM, but even encountered on Mercedes. Not sure of the cause - one might think condensation or moisture absorption by the friction material, but that just seems so hard to believe....
Clutch judder in cold damp weather - bell boy
new clutches dont have asbestos in them so the plate as Aprilia says gets a coating of condensation on it,some cars are worse than others,my transit is terrible until its done a few shifts
only my theory mind
Clutch judder in cold damp weather - Spospe
Bell-Boy

I have a Mark 5 Transit and have the same problem. I can fix it easily by slipping the clutch a little on first moving off, this seems to heat up the plate and drive off any condensation / rust.
Clutch judder in cold damp weather - Number_Cruncher
>>I can fix it easily by slipping the clutch a little

In our mk IV Astra, I warm the clutch up a bit by simply pumping the clutch pedal a few times while I'm fiddling about with my seatbelt and the wireless before I set off. Just getting a bit of heat into the clutch does help to reduce the juddering.

I do think it is a condensation problem - it does get worse when the weather is damp. Allegedly, Vauxhall have now developed a new replacement clutch which doesn't judder. In the next few weeks, I'll have a chat with a friend who works on Vauxhalls every day - I'll ask him if the new clutch is actually curing the problem (he got fed up of waiting for Vauxhall, and fitted a Valeo replacement clutch in his Zafira, which did fix the juddering).

Number_Cruncher

Clutch judder in cold damp weather - pleiades
Tks Drage - sorry for your problem but in a way it makes me feel better as I have exactly the same with my Subaru Forester - I always thought it was a Subaru thing - something to do with having to initially turn all 4 wheels instead of 2!
Clutch judder in cold damp weather - Roly93
Both my Audi A4 Avants did this from brand new....
Clutch judder in cold damp weather - Aretas
The Yaris does it.
Clutch judder in cold damp weather - oilrag
both of our Punto`s do it, as did the previous Doblo and before that the Uno.

we just regard it as `normal`