Where has the flashing green man gone? - Garethj
From Pelican crossings? I'm sure it was a mere 25 years ago there was the cartoon TV advert that showed a girl and her grandfather how a pelican crossing worked and obviously I've used a few since then. (Crossings, not girls and grandfathers)

When it's too late to start crossing the green man flashes, he's supposed to, they said so on TV. But I've noticed recently that he doesn't! It goes from a green man to neither green or red man showing for a few seconds, then to the red man on.

Why is this? Safety reasons? The cost of the flashing relay inside? Does anyone think it's better like this? Personally I think pedestrians should be given all the help possible about when it's safe to cross or not, up to and including an automatic neck brace to look up at the lights and to turn their heads to look at traffic, however I feel that's a separate rant.

In London at least the time of these lights seems to be set on a whim, nothing to do with how long it takes to get across the road, sometimes the red and green man are off for several seconds with pedestrians not sure if they can dash across or it's simply a bulb that's gone.

So, anyone know why it's changed?

Gareth

Edited by Garethj on 14/11/2007 at 08:06

Where has the flashing green man gone? - Ruperts Trooper
Crossings are all given bird names - Pelican, Puffin, Toucan - but to me they're all light controlled pedestrian crossings. Some have flashing amber after the red which means motorists can drive on if no pedestrians using the crossing - others have red/amber after the red which means you have to wait, longer than usual, for the green even when there's no pedestrians.

I haven't got a clue which sort had flashing green men.
Where has the flashing green man gone? - Cliff Pope
Crossings are all given bird names - Pelican Puffin Toucan -

Apart from zebra of course.

Some suggested new ones:

Ostrich, Dodo, Albatros.
Where has the flashing green man gone? - CGNorwich
A pelican crossing is just for pedestrians. The red-man and green-man signs are displayed on the opposite side of the road. The green man is followed by a flashing green man. When the flashing green man appears, drivers see a flashing amber signal. This tells pedestrians on the crossing that it is safe to continue crossing but not safe to begin crossing. Pedestrians still have priority over cars while the flashing amber lights are displayed.

courtesy of Kent County Council
Where has the flashing green man gone? - ijws15
Was this a Puffin and aren't they different?

Or was he arrested for flashing, after all he would be an easy target for our target led police ;-)
Where has the flashing green man gone? - Mad Maxy
IMO a bigger isasue is why ordinary 'zebra' crossings are now bad news. Increasingly they're being replaced by lights-controlled crossings that stay at red for too long and stop traffic unnecessarily (often when pedestrians have already crossed during a gap in the traffic), all adding to congestion and pollution.

Of course, that enables politicians and official do-gooders to point to how congested and polluted the UK is and maliciously to stamp on motorists some more.
Where has the flashing green man gone? - ijws15
"IMO a bigger isasue is why ordinary 'zebra' crossings are now bad news."

There used to be two of these in Derby close together outside what used to be Halfords/Pizza Hut. At lunchtime/Saturdays traffic stopped because of pedestrians on the crossings.

Where has the flashing green man gone? - NARU
I can think of two Zebras which should be converted to light operated.

There's a Zebra in the centre of Camberley which is positioned right outside the door of the shopping centre - at times it feels like a continuous stream of people.

The other is just off a roundabout in Frimley - Its a hard roundabout to navigate for various reasons and there's a zebra just where two lanes converge into one on the exit - drivers can be more distracted by their lane merge (read fighting for position) than looking properly for pedestrians.
Where has the flashing green man gone? - doctorchris
To me it's pretty obvious why Zebra crossings are becoming redundant.
Firstly, there is now a significant body of motorists who simply ignore pedestrians waiting to cross on a Zebra or even pedestrians actually on the crossing (happened to me in Sainsbury's car park the other day, driver so distracted they just did not see me). Hopefully they are more likely to stop for a red light, although that is not a given these days.
In addition the blind and partially sighted can have no idea when to cross a Zebra and with an increasing elderly population there are more folk in this predicament these days.
Children and the elderly need the reassurance of a crossing with lights of some sort, there's a particular crossing on Fulwell Rd. in Sunderland on a straight 30 mph stretch, where speed limits are constantly ignored, where children stand nervously for ages waiting for cars to stop.
Where has the flashing green man gone? - slowdown avenue
garethj try this experiment, ask ten people , what does the flashing green man mean, at a , pelican crossing.
Where has the flashing green man gone? - L'escargot
garethj try this experiment ask ten people what does the flashing green man mean at
a pelican crossing.

It means beware of pelicans dressed as green men! I don't know, what does it mean?
--
L\'escargot.
Where has the flashing green man gone? - Tomo
I have yet to see a pelican on a pelican crossing.
Where has the flashing green man gone? - L'escargot
I have yet to see a pelican on a pelican crossing.

You haven't lived!
--
L\'escargot.
Where has the flashing green man gone? - hbosken
garethj try this experiment ask ten people what does the flashing green man mean at
a pelican crossing.

It must surely mean there's an Irishman flashing his willy...............

As a pedestrian, I would interpret the flashing green man to say "you're about to get run over by a mad cyclist who is cycling on the pavement and needs to get to the other side of the road and never bothers about traffic lights or any other road signs anyway".

As a motorist, I'd interpret a flashing green man as - "if you proceed, you're liable to get bumped into by a mad cyclist who is cycling on the pavement and needs to get to the other side of the road and never bothers about traffic lights or any other road signs anyway"

Where has the flashing green man gone? - Bilboman
Anyone crossed the road in Rome? Amazing experience. Pedestrian (and car) traffic seems to zip merge almost constantly without collisions. Drivers slow down and pedestrians speed up and no one is held up for more than a few seconds. There seem to be no clear rules of priority (other than Darwin's) yet no one seems to get irate or indignant.