adjusting handbrake (with rear disc brakes) - scfc_151
I have a 306 estate with rear discs and could do with adjusting it slightly as its starting to slip on hills

I have done this via the centre console but i think 1 calliper is tightning more than the other

is there a way of tightning the handbrake another way

cheers
adjusting handbrake (with rear disc brakes) - injection doc
you could try starting engine, press brake pedal hard so it travels further than normal & keep pressed & pull hand brake up & down the amount of travel it will allow approx 20-30 times. release brake pedal & handbrake may of improved
Doc
adjusting handbrake (with rear disc brakes) - RichardW
These cars use the main brake pads as the handbrake. Since they're on the rear they don't do much, and the pads tend to seize into the calipers. They should be self adjusting, but you probably need to push hard on the brake pedal to get them to adjust up. So.... try pressing the pedal as hard as you can a few times and see if that makes a difference. If not then you probably need to strip the pads out of the calipers and copper slip them up - checking at the same time that the cables are not seized (entirely possible). If you are still having trouble, then it might be time to strip the calipers. Adjusting the cables is conceptually the wrong way to go - they are pre-stretched and very strong, and should rarely need adjusting once installed provided the rest of the system is OK.
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
thanks guys compressing the pedal and pulling the handbrake up seems to have stiffened it up

good trick
just a quick update

I made some difference by compressing the pedal and pulling up the handbrake etc but a few months later im back to square 1

The lever is nice and tight but the car tends to want to creep back

Its quite creeky with the handbrake on when someone gets out of the car!

When the garage replaced the pads last year for the mot (for the handrake slipping) they used delphi pads. I usually do them myself and use ferodo or mintex so im wondering if these are glazed or inadequate?

any tips?
adjusting handbrake (with rear disc brakes) - piston power
Best check those calipers are not sticking some, strip down clean up & check the h/brake cable is ok they do stretch.

Your original post said 1 caliper i think is this still the case?
yeah i think so on inspection when i get someone to pull the handbrake the drivers side seems to move in slightly more

Its really annoying because the brakes are superb much better than my old drums on a 306 just the handbrake creeks and slips
adjusting handbrake (with rear disc brakes) - scotmech
Back off the handbrake adjustment fully ...

Remove rear wheels ...

Check levers on calipers are moving freely ...

If not remove the cables at the levers and use release oil to free them ...

Make sure the levers are back at their stops then without the cables on start engine and press the brake pedal a few times ...

Then refit cables and adjust ... not to tight ... If there too tight they don't let the calipers self adjust ...

If the levers seize up again the next time you check them ... new calipers are required ...

Edited by scotmech on 28/02/2008 at 09:35