HDi Engine not switching off with key - mph_turbo
Just had a strange problem with my Xsara. It has been going very well over the last 12 months until this morning. It started fine but when I arrived at work after a leisurely 12 mile drive, the engine refused to switch off with the ignition key!!!

When I turned the key to the usual off position, the engine kept running at a rough idle. All the usual lights were illuminated in the dashboard when this was happening. The only way of killing it was to hold the foot brake and let out the clutch while the car was in gear.

It started fine immediately afterwards but still refused to switch off conventionally.

I repeated this cycle a couple of times and eventually, it seems to have came back to normal.

All ideas welcome!!

MPH

PS: I should have got rid of this heap months ago!!!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 09/11/2007 at 10:06

HDi Engine not switching off with key - Screwloose
mt

Have you been using supermarket fuel in it? Go on; confess...

If you haven't got a MIL light on, then a sticking fuel pressure regulator is likely. It won't shut down until the ECU sees a safe pressure in the rail - so either it can't dump it with the regulator, or the rail sensor's signal is telling porkies. Live data can tell which.

Try mixing a litre of very cheap oil; [some say 2-stroke oil; but I've not tried that yet] with a gallon of derv and adding that to the tank.
HDi Engine not switching off with key - mph_turbo
Hi Screwloose,

Nope, was not using cheapo fuel. Turned out that the car was totally dead when I returned to it three hours after stopping it. Battery was totally flat.

So, it turns out that it was the ignition barrel not fully switching off all that it is supposed to do. Hence the battery was being flattened.

So, in having to wait a week for a new barrel cut to the existing key, I have to disconnect the battery every time I have the engine stopped. The subsequent fun with the immobiliser when the battery is reconnected is a great way to start a working day!!

Many Thanks

MPH