Citreon Xsara 18i 16v - Dave Morton
I would appreciate any comments about oil consumption on this car.

I have had the car since new (200 miles on the clock) and for the past 18000 miles it has just travelled around Wokingham with the odd trip to Europe. There was some oil usage but now I am using the car for business (about 2000 miles per month) the oil consumption now appears to be high. I have run the engine in so I am assuming that the problem could be the engine design?.

Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Re: Citreon Xsara 18i 16v - John Slaughter
How high is high?

regards

john
Re: Citreon Xsara 18i 16v - Carole Adams
Dave - I'd just be interested to know what you think about the car in general and have you had any other problems. I won't go through again all the problems with my VTR, also the 1.8i, (and the other Citroens in our family) as I've already done that in previous replies to other messages: I just want to know if I've just been horribly unlucky or, as I suspect, does the car really hate me? By the way, I've had mine just over 12 months but not done many miles so can't help you with the oil consumption. Is that just one more thing I ought to start worrying about?
Re: Citreon Xsara 18i 16v - Dave Morton
The oil consumption is about 1 litre per 2000 miles. An engineering mate says that with the use of semi synthetic oils being used on 16 valve engines it is better to have some oil usage as this means the engine will last longer. Any ideas.

Regards Dave
Re: Citreon Xsara 18i 16v - Dave Morton
Yes I have had a few problems with this car but taking this into context when I use to go through many company cars over a period of twenty years I feel that this car no different. I think the car is very underated, it handles well with great engine performance.

I have been told that the oil consumption of about a litre per 2000 miles is okay but I will check this with Citreon.

With regard to problems when new it would not start on many occasions but this was due to the sensor on the fly wheel having an occasional fault.

It has failed with recently when the car water temperature gauge showed a very high reading in trafic and the warning light did not come on.

The problem was with the "Bitron box" which controls the fans and this was changed for the total cost of £84.44.

Regards Dave
Re: Citreon Xsara 18i 16v - David Lacey
Dave - don't worry too much - many cars use oil. Manufacturers will state that 1000 miles to 1 litre used is termed as acceptable oil consumption.
It is right, some cars don't seem to use any oil between services, whilst others require top ups. I guess it is just down to engine design (see the Vectra Di message posted previously) Suggest you carry out a controlled oil consumption test. Log all the top ups used, (date, mileage & amount topped up) Try to top up at the same place and at the same engine temperature to ensure consistent results & see what the consumption actually is. Let us know Kind Regards
David
Re: Citreon Xsara 18i 16v - honest john
I litre per 2,000 miles is actually quite good for this engine. It seems to be very sensitive to the way it is run-in. Run in too slowly and at too consisten engine speeds and it will probably turn into an oil burner. Rev the nuts off the thing from day 1 and it will probably be fine. Strange, but true.

HJ
Re: Citreon Xsara 18i 16v - David Lacey
The way in which cars are treated in their early lives determines how they will perform throughout their lives. I 'drive' my new cars fairly hard and they reward me with lively performance and zero oil consumption. This is especially true with modern diesels. The running-in period is now not really required as long as the engine is not intentionally thrashed to within an inch of it's life or laboured. In fact, customers at the dealership at which I work reguarly ask for my car when it comes up for sale as they know it will be a flyer with all the niggly problems sorted out!
Running-in - Guy Lacey
OK Dave..............yeah, with all the dents, scratches and dings of a banger car with a cam-belt just *waiting* to go ping and fie all 16 valves into one big mess.

Above all - it's been thrashed!