1.6 TDi auto - oil problem - nottsruss
My wifes C~max 1.6 auto TDI has been into the garage numerous times for an oil leak problem.The engine,turbo and surrounding area has a mist covering of oil , the turbo induction hose and the turbo outlet hose to the metal type hose all have oil internally and i have been told by another mechanic these should be dry inside thus the turbo is pulling oil through.The car has only covered 10,000 miles on an 04 plate any advice to fix or is this a problem on this model ? also told this could be a peugeot engine !!

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 08/11/2007 at 18:49

1.6 TDi auto - oil problem - Screwloose
russ

Obviously he was not much of a "mechanic." Anyone with even only a passing experience of motor vehicles knows that turbo systems are wet internally with oil - that's normal; turbos don't have oil seals.

If you've got distributed oiliness and there are no breather pipes left off;[?] then a intake pressure leak is the most likely cause. As it will probably only do it under full boost, it's going to be hard to find it stationary.

There are pressurized smoke machines to find such leaks. See if you can locate a garage with one.

Yes; this is a Peugeot HDi; the engine is very tough, the turbo and fuelling far less so. Don't ever put petrol in it.
Many thanks for your interesting reply.
I bought the vehicle ex-mobility , hence the low mileage.
There was a service report in the car stating the vehicle had been refueled with petrol and it had the tank drained, fuel pies and filter cleaned what could this of done with ref to your last paragraph !!!
russ

Not good! If the vehicle was started - or worse, driven - with petrol in it; then some level of damage will have been done to the highly-stressed fuel pump.

The extent of that damage and it's long-term effect is unquantifiable. The loss of fuel lubricity will have roughened the surfaces of the pump.

Whether that will settle down to a workable, but degraded, pump; or whether the hardened fragments displaced will continue a cascade failure, is one of those "how long is a piece of string" questions.

If the pump does fail; a complete new fuel system is needed due to dispersed hardened fragment contamination - budget for £2-3000.

Was this "incident" brought to your attention before you bought the car? What's the age/warranty situation? [Fuelling parts warranty will be void now.]
many thanks again.The car was sourced by my local dealer he has a list of cars available from motability and in fact you put a deposit for him to collect the car from Yorkshire without actually seeing it.
I only knew of the contaminated fuel proplem when I looked through the service folder some time later.The car only had three months warranty ( now expired) but he is still investigating the oil film leak as this was not rectified during visits in that warranty period.
Also the engine symbol ligth has come on , on its last visit to the garage ( still to be diagnosed)at my expense , but, I now wonder if this is part of the on going problems !!!
russ

The very useful six-month "presumption of pre-existence" clause in the Sale of Goods Act may save you here.

HJ has a SOGA link somewhere that explains all.

The dealer probably didn't know about the misfuelling; but it's still money-back time. Get out of this deal and find another.
Hi screwloose
many thanks for your valued information/comments, much appreciated.