Calling all owners - Happy Blue!
I am amazed at the number of people in the 'describe yourself' thread who own up to owing a Legacy or Outback.

Can we have a quick roll call of all such people and a brief desrciption of your car. It would be nice to have a Back Room Subaru owners meet.....

EIII :-)

Subaru Outback 3.0Rn in 'champagne'. New September 2005, acquired November 2006 at 22,000 miles and now done 30,000 miles. Originally an IM car, was sold to a Subaru dealer for the boss's wife and now its mine!
Calling all owners - nick
Legacy 3.0R Spec B manual saloon in whatever the dark blue metallic is called. Registered March 06 by Subaru UK, purchased by me in august 06 with 10 miles on it. Now at 20k miles.
This is my second Legacy, first was a 2 litre GL, the base model, bought at 3 years and 55k, p/exed against the Spec B at 6 years and 135k.

Edited by nick on 07/11/2007 at 10:43

General location in the UK would also be useful.

I'm in north Manchester.
Calling all owners - Ed V
'51 plate, Outback SE + Lux pack, blue with grey leather. Bought via the Haslemere dealer in July 2005 on about 55,000 from a dealer in Plymouth [interesting stats: sold by a guy in Plymouth to the local dealership for £6,000, bought by Haslemere dealers, then sold to me for £10,995 - I'm not meant to know that!]. Now at 75,000. Only problem, an engine warning light fault on the dash - i.e. the light is faulty, not the engine, but passengers keep asking if I need go to the garage! Live Wimbledon now, so unlikely to keep it much into '08 as it's totally unnecessary! Great car.
Calling all owners - Ruperts Trooper
'06 Outback 2.5SE automatic - urban grey with off-black leather

Collecting it tomorrow, can't wait!

Staffordshire/Warwickshire border.
Calling all owners - Falkirk Bairn
>>sold by a guy in Plymouth to the local dealership for £6,000, bought by Haslemere >>dealers, then sold to me for £10,995 - I'm not meant to know that.

I am not a Subaru Outback owner for the above reason - PRICE of 2nd hand cars

Prices at Subaru Franchises are not "True Market Price" when sold 2nd hand - when you trade-in you get the "true market trade-in price"

Hence the £5K mark up on a 5yr old car between T/I value and retail sale
Calling all owners - Ruperts Trooper
SNIPQUOTE!
you trade-in you get the "true market trade-in price"
Hence the £5K mark up on a 5yr old car between T/I value and retail
sale

That's the motor trade, it happens all the time with all brands/models, the numbers may differ but trade-in value is always less than a car's value.

I'm about to pay £16k for an '06 Outback SE auto - that's £6-10k less than alternatives.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 07/11/2007 at 19:03

Calling all owners - Aprilia
Prices at Subaru Franchises are not "True Market Price" when sold 2nd hand

They sell them for as much as they can get. In that sense the prices ARE 'true market price'. That's true of all marques from Proton to Porsche. If they can't the sell the car then the price is dropped until it does sell, at which point the 'market price' (for a franchise dealer sale) is established.

>>- when
you trade-in you get the "true market trade-in price"

Indeed. And if you don't like it then you can sell it via an auction at which point you will find the 'true market auction price' !!

I really do not see why you are suggesting that Subaru are different from any other marque (that's the implication of your post I think?).
I'm in NE Lincolnshire.
Calling all owners - Sprint
04 Legacy Tourer 2.5SE Altlantic Blue 40,000 miles. Acquired new in March 04.

Calling all owners - oldtoffee
57 Legacy Tourer 3.0 R Spec B, silver, 6,000 miles, registered to Subaru UK for 1 day before I bought it the next day with 11 miles on it in September from SGT in Taplow, nr Maidenhead. I live in Windsor and "commute" once a week to Worcester.
Calling all owners - jbif
I am in Falkirk Bairn's camp. I nearly bought an Outback 2.5SE 2nd hand at what seemed a good price. Two months later, the price of the car had been reduced by a couple of thousand pounds and another month later it is still there. The salesman said to me that these cars are "exclusive" - he meant there are few people interested in these cars and thus they are hard to shift 2nd hand.

Nevertheless they are very good cars, nay they are the best cars in the world - so says Jeremy Clarkson.
tinyurl.com/2y7v6a

If you shop around the dealers using the subaru.co.uk used car finder you'll find a dealer that will deal. The screen price is just the starting point. I bought over the phone from Monty's of Sheffield and they dropped over £1k from an already nice price.
Calling all owners - Wilco {P}
2.5 SE Tourer - bought new in March 2005, now up to 47,000 miles. Based South Northants.
Calling all owners - Nsar
04 plate 2.5se Tourer in dark blue + mud, bought Feb last year with 16k miles on it, now at 47k. Hopefully about to scare the bejeesus out of myself with a Spec B tourer. North Manchester.
Hi Nsar- I was waiting for you to pop up. We should have a little N Manchester Subaru meet with jdc as well.
Calling all owners - Nsar
Sounds good - but I thought JDC had turned to the dark side with his Skoda!
Calling all owners - nick62
2.0R estate 06 m/y (quad cam engine) on a 55 plate (reg'd Dec. 2005).

Brought s/h from my relative's Subaru dealership (ex-Subaru UK car) at 17 months old and with 10K miles at a price I could not afford to turn-down (after writing-off my six year old Passat TDI PD). Now done 23K and it is a great car, but after 12 years of diesel ownership the fuel bill is a bit painful, but averaging 33 MPG.

I fancy a Spec. B, but the math on MPG is a bit prohibitive, however, I will almost certainly go for the diesel in 12 months or so, because I love the chassis.

Based in North West England
Calling all owners - legacylad
After owning 3 consecutive Subarus in the UK I now own another marque...hopefully a temporary blip until I can find a 2.5 Outback later this year.
However, I am driving an Outback whilst on extended holiday here in Placerville, California, staying with friends again. Just brilliant for the snow here in the Sierras...about to go on a 3 day trip up Highway 50 to Tahoe, skiing Kirkwood, Sierra and Squaw Valley. Over a metre of snow is forecast for later this week, and their is chain control in place today on Highways 50, 88 & 89 today. Should be an interesting drive!!
I live in upper Ribblesdale btw. And usually know the difference between their and there! Obviously time spent in the States has colored my judgement....
Calling all owners - drivewell
However I am driving an Outback whilst on extended holiday here in Placerville California staying
with friends again.

Enjoy your stay in Placerville. Not staying with the Oliver's by any chance?
drivewell,
Not heard of the Olivers. Strangely enough my Californian friends surname is England!
Calling all owners - hillman
??so says Jeremy Clarkson?? Don?t pay any attention to what that guy says, he doesn?t know all that much about cars, only how to ?joy ride? in them.

2.5 Outback auto in silver. New Mills, Derbs.
Decent set of wellies and it gets over the speed bumps without that horrible graunching sound.
Calling all owners - Lud
without that horrible graunching
sound.

You mean the sound of some part of the car's chassis, or worse still the sump, hitting the bump or the road just after it?

All bumps, and the areas of road just after them, have gouges in this town. I always assumed it meant there were lots of gung-ho idiots driving around flat out in 2CVs, and they were doing it during the two or three hours in the 24 when I am not driving about, since I never see them doing it.

I must say I haven't heard it myself since I was one of the above mentioned idiots. But then I can see and am intelligent (no offence hillman ...:o}).
Calling all owners - drivewell
drivewell
Not heard of the Olivers. Strangely enough my Californian friends surname is England!

Hi, the Olivers live about 1.5 miles out of town, on Bedford Avenue (north of Placerville town centre). He's originally from the North East of England, his wife from Scotland, and he's a minister. Visited there last summer. Enjoy driving your friend's Outback!
Calling all owners - hillman
"... must say I haven't heard it myself since I was one of the above mentioned idiots. But then I can see and am intelligent (no offence hillman ...:o}). "

Where did you say you are from, Lud ?

My son had an Audi A6 fastback of which he was very fond but it wasn?t very practical; not much ground clearance. He had to trade it in for a Touran because every time he went down the hill into the town he had to go over a speed hump. That hump had so many scores on it that it reduced in height by about half. Either that or one of the local councillors was having trouble too and got the direct works dept to fix it..
Calling all owners - jdc
Outback SE new model- 53 plate, 35,000 miles, owned since new, not missed a beat, nicked once, recovered and put back to new - a fantastic car that feels like it is built from rock ....

Cheers
jdc

Calling all owners - Lud
I was born in London and live in London, although I have spent many years elsewhere.
Calling all owners - Kingpeter
I live in Mid Wales, near Llanwrtyd Wells. I have a 2007 model Outback Rn, bought April 2007 with 1200 miles of dealer use"on the clock" from dealer Keith Price Garages, Abergavenney. According to Glass' value, I paid over book price, but the car is so rare, I had no choice. Subaru admitted they did not have a single new Outback Rn for sale in the country. Why do they not keep any stock of this model?

My experiences so far (only 6000miles driven so far) have been favourable. No problems whatsoever. I initially tried a 3.0 litre diesel Audi A6 Allroad, and found serious throttle lag, a harsh and noisy engine, and imprecise cornering. In contrast, the Outback has a superbly sharp throttle response (especially in Sport Sharp i-drive setting) and the sound of the free revving 3 litre boxer 6 is awesome (very, very smooth right up to red-line). Cornering is very good, even with the raised suspension causing some roll. All-wheel drive with stability control, and anti-lock brakes really are worth the extra complexity, and have got me out of trouble, helping avoid a collision. Build quality is sound and paint finish very good. It comes with a high level of equipment as standard (including the essential HID headlamps). The Audi A6 price with same equipment level is some £10,000 higher.

Less satisfactory is the typical flashy Japanese styling, relatively high fuel consumption (I get 25-27 mpg average on Welsh rural roads), and a boot capacity a little smaller than the A6.

I wonder why Honest John never recommends this model.

Calling all owners - fake

Honest John describes the 3.0 R Spec B as " Fantastic!, A great big STi". If you look at the road test for 2.0 or (2.5?) Legacy on this site, you will see his comments, he immediately ordered a Spec B for road test, after driving one, but was given one of the above by Subaru.

I have a Silver Spec B manual, i am second owner, bought it off an Audi dealer (who had taken it in px for a new S3) with 20k miles and FSSH.

First owner confirmed.

Now done 30k, and no problems at all (like my 3 previous Imprezas)

Offset the petrol cost by remebering it is 5 Star euro Ncap! (and lighter than the car it replaced) 40 per cent high tensile steel, the highest ever at the time.