02 Clio Locking/Unlocking & Starting problem - CJ02
Hi All - hope someone can help!

1.4 16V Dynamique+ 2002 Clio (petrol).

Over 1year ago spare remote key fob ceased working although nothing wrong with battery, and I am sure that I now have to stand closer to the car for the working key to operate (anyone else had this or is it me?).

In past few weeks have experienced intermittent inability to either:
a) lock the car with remote fob; taking up to 10 attempts of turning car on/off/pressing fob
b) start car - turn key in ignition all dash lights/stereo etc switch on but engine does nothing. Usually by fourth attempt the car switches on and runs with no problems.

Last night car would not start (as b) on 2nd attempt engine turned over (not sluggish) but cut out after 3secs. Infinite number of attempts unsuccessful - RAC called!
Mechanic rang me back (did not visit me at roadside - never saw the car) and asked if immobiliser light on dash was flashing faster than usual (which it was) then suggested that I hold key with one end in each hand and flex each way as though trying to snap it in two then try to start car - IT STARTED 1ST TIME!!! (does anyone know why this is? Was so impressed that I forgot to ask!)

Went straight to my local Renault dealer who found no problem with EITHER keys (ie. the spare that has not worked for over a year now works!?!) or the immobiliser.

I am convinced there is a problem - does anyone have any ideas?
Yours hopefully
CJ
ps Apologies for the long message!
02 Clio Locking/Unlocking & Starting problem - cheddar
Our Clio remote is intermitent, I have taken the key apart and repositioned the metal contact inside, this improves the response of the c/locking for a short while. We sometimes lock the car by hitting the locking button on the centre console before getting out and the locking the door with the key, a conversly getting in though this has never effected the immobilisor or the vehicle starting.
02 Clio Locking/Unlocking & Starting problem - CJ02
That's a good tip to have - not sure I would have worked that out myself!
Thanks for your post