Breakdown Cover - Observations? Recommendations? - rg
Folks,

We're with AA, Option 200, paying £114.yr. Homestart, Relay, etc.

This has always seemed a tad expensive, but Mrs g and and I are covered for both cars.

MoreThan offered me a deal bundled with insurance renewal today, circa £35.00 for one car.

Are these "cheap deals"? It had automatic overseas cover, however.

Can anyone make any recommendations, as I want something to match AA, but not pay their prices...

r
Breakdown Cover - Observations? Recommendations? - fordprefect
Britannia Rescue have been a 'best buy' for many years in terms of response time and quality of service; standard cover is 73.95 (but 68.95 yearly on-line) and for an additional 29.50 you can add personal cover, which gives cover for any car you or your partner are driving or passenger in.

Check the details at britanniarescue.com

(My only connection is as a long standing and satisfied customer)
Breakdown Cover - Observations? Recommendations? - Bromptonaut
Stayed with NBRC/Green Flag/Direct Line for over 20 years. Several call outs, no problems at all, though most used the same local agent - Freeways of Weedon.

Finally driven to change by DL's policy that regarded loyal customers as milch cows and now with Britannia Rescue. >> Britannia Rescue have been a 'best buy' for many years in terms of response
Breakdown Cover - Observations? Recommendations? - Ruperts Trooper
Firstly, determine what cover you need - then discard any breakdown cover that doesn't give you what you need - choose from the rest, there won't be many.

I pay £84 per year for the Caravan Club Mayday scheme, £120 if you include annual membership fee - the service is provided by Green Flag with less restriction than GF's direct customers - it covers 2 nominated vehicles for breakdown, accident or driver illness - it's UK only which suits me as we don't go abroad.

After an accident in Scotland we were recovered back to our caravan site and then two days later recovered (car + caravan) back to the Midlands - it would have cost over £1,000 without the cover.
Thanks, all,

I pay £84 per year for the Caravan Club Mayday scheme, £120 if you include annual membership fee - the service is provided by Green Flag with less restriction than GF's direct customers - it covers 2 nominated vehicles for breakdown, accident or driver illness - it's UK only which suits me as we don't go abroad.

We tow a twin-axle caravan with a Vauxhall Monterey. The AA say that their cover includes recovery of the caravan. Can you recall what advantage "Mayday" has over similar schemes which promise to recover a complete outfit?

r

Edited by rg on 07/11/2007 at 07:34

Breakdown Cover - Observations? Recommendations? - Ruperts Trooper
We tow a twin-axle caravan with a Vauxhall Monterey. The AA say that their cover
includes recovery of the caravan. Can you recall what advantage "Mayday" has over similar schemes
which promise to recover a complete outfit?

Most recovery schemes will only recover the caravan if it's attached to the car at the time of breakdown, have limits on size of caravan and don't cover breakdown of the caravan itself, nor accidents or illness.

If you breakdown while out for the day, Mayday covers the double journey - back to the caravan site with the car and then with car and caravan back home, several days later if necessary. Mayday also provides the same cover for accident and illness. Mayday has no size restrictions. Mayday covers any breakdown or accident to the caravan itself.

Get full details from the Caravan Club.
Breakdown Cover - Observations? Recommendations? - NARU
There are two big advantages to Mayday - the first is that they come out if its the caravan which is broken down (eg. burst caravan tyre). The second that if your car breaks down they'll take the caravan to site and the car to the repairer for you.
"Rupert's Trooper", "Marlot",

Many thanks for the answers. I was not just being lazy, but wondered if these benefits were tucked away somewhere and not blindingly obvious.

We are members of The Caravan Club, so will make further enquiries.

This type of cover is all the more important, as I could handle a breakdown "solo", but would find one pretty stressful with family and gin palace in tow, with the threat of a runied holiday looming.

r