fuel smell from inside cabin, (sometimes) - bmw530

hi i am getting a fuel smell from inside the cabin ,this only happens sometimes and
varies i,e i can drive all day without any smell and then it will start,

has anybody got experience with this on e39 bmws mines is a 530 sport,
my car is 1 owner and has done 82k,
i dont know wheter i should change fuel pressure regulatars or leads as a precaution,
are there any particular fuel loss related problems with these cars
fuel smell from inside cabin, (sometimes) - Screwloose

First get a garage to lift it up and look everywhere for fuel stains. This could be just a weeping sealing washer on the filter.
fuel smell from inside cabin, (sometimes) - Kevin
Intermittent fuel smells are a common symptom of leaks in the evap. emissions system (charcoal canister, solenoid or pipework) but I would expect the MIL light to come on and a fault code to be stored.

Does the MIL light come on now and again?

Kevin...
fuel smell from inside cabin, (sometimes) - fruitcakes
Hi. I've got a 523i tourer and over the last few months have become aware of an ocassional fuel smell. My local (non franchised) garage looked and found nothing amiss. I've got a service coming up very soon, I might investigate along the lines of your other replies.
fuel smell from inside cabin, (sometimes) - ggh1
Fuel smells from my 320i 6 cylinder have been caused at different times by :- Hose to injector rail, hose from fuel filter, hose bridging the 2 sections of the fuel tank where it connects to the top of the fuel pump (under the rear seat and inspection cover).