Replacement Clutch - guess how much? - The Honourable
Guess the cost of a fitted replacement clutch for a Citroen C2 VTS from my main dealer.

Win a share of my heart attack!
Replacement Clutch - guess how much? - Screwloose
TH

£760-ish?

[Thanks for the free offer - but I've already been there...]

Replacement Clutch - guess how much? - Aprilia
Obviously depends on your local labour rate. I would reckon on anthing from £500-700 labour plus around £200 parts, so £700-900 ??
Replacement Clutch - guess how much? - nick
I paid £600 for a clutch on my old Subaru Legacy at a main dealer around two years ago so I would expect a Citroen to be cheaper than that as Subaru are meant to be very expensive on parts and servicing.
Replacement Clutch - guess how much? - Lud
Why so incredibly steep? It's a small car.

Of course it may be that two hours of labour now cost a monkey or more... :o{
Lud

Citroens are generally a bit labour intensive. Its 6-7 hours to change a clutch on one of these, so cost that at your London labour rates!
Replacement Clutch - guess how much? - Lud
Ouch. But why? Obviously you have to drop the power pack out and probably undo most of the front suspension to do it. Then there are all the electronic bits and bobs to be done in the right order... I suppose it has to mount up. But ouch! all the same. Would, say, a C3 be as bad as that? It's always seemed to me rather a good non-fashion-conscious buy in the economy car class. But 700 nicker for a clutch is hardly economy.
Replacement Clutch - guess how much? - 1066
what happened to the days when a clutch fitted was 200 pounds.
the last clutch i had done was in a 1982 cortina in 1985. 35k on the clock
what happened to the days when a clutch fitted was 200 pounds.

That's probably about £600 in today's money!
But seriously, cars are more complex, more work involved,
the last clutch i had done was in a 1982 cortina in 1985. 35k on
the clock

Yes, simple RWD car. Prop off. Starter motor off. Exhaust loose. Shift lever off. Undo bellhousing bolts and away you go.. About a 2-hour job in all.
Replacement Clutch - guess how much? - bell boy
oh for the days of astra mk1"s where you just put the clips on the diaphram had a coffee pulled the shaft back had a coffee kicked a plate in and kicked the car out
Replacement Clutch - guess how much? - gordonbennet
Well i'm not trying to guess the cost cos things are getting out of hand with this car game' i suppose your going to tell us that this car has a dual mass flywheel as well, and i'm still reeling from earlier disclosures about these blessed things, the benefits of which i'm still unconvinced about.

We changed the clutch on my sons Impreza recently and i know the years have slipped away but do you know i don't want to do that too often anymore, and i've changed loads on my own over the years.

Don't keep us in suspenders too long we need to know the figure and whether you had comparable quotes from independent workshops.
Just had a thought this isn't the 'sensodrive' box is it in that case think of a number and tack a row of noughts on.
Replacement Clutch - guess how much? - bell boy
well i thought it was one of those paddlesclutch jobbies as well
so as to a price?
no idea
a million?
Replacement Clutch - guess how much? - blue_haddock
I'm fairly certain the VTS has got a flappy paddle gearbox so probably an arm and a leg to change the clutch.
Replacement Clutch - guess how much? - OldSock
The 'book' time for clutch replacement on the Citroën CX was 14 hours - so maybe you've been lucky......!!
Replacement Clutch - guess how much? - JH
Having had a rant a little while ago on how things are no longer built to be repaired I'm going to put my bid in at £50 more than a new car :-)

Heart Attack offer declined thanks.

JH

Edited by JH on 03/11/2007 at 19:53

Replacement Clutch - guess how much? - expat
How many miles did it do before the clutch went?

At those kind of prices autos look like a better bet. Pay the extra 700 up front and not have to worry about a clutch. Mind you I am sure that autos have their own worries.
Replacement Clutch - guess how much? - Rattle
Another reason I love my Fiesta, the clutches on these seem to be very difficult to burn out and it is a fairly easy job too. A mate of a mate got his Fiesta clutch done for £200 inc 2 year warranty on it.

I would never ever buy one of these complex french cars unless it had a long warranty. I am all for simple engineering, chain driven cam, overhead valves, and space inthe bonnet so you can actually get to stuff without removing all the power steering pumps etc first.

That said a clutch ought to be do at least 100,000 with normal driving.

As said above autos just have other problems.

Replacement Clutch - guess how much? - Armitage Shanks {p}
A day is long enough to wait! How much was your honourable clutch? We are going to stop holding our breath soon!
Replacement Clutch - guess how much? - Saltrampen
"Another reason I love my Fiesta, the clutches on these seem to be very difficult to burn out and it is a fairly easy job too. A mate of a mate got his Fiesta clutch done for £200 inc 2 year warranty on it."

Yes but, the release bearing mechanism becomes very noisy after a while (50k+?).
I suspect that may go first before the plate in many cases.
All in £630 with South West prices. I am trying local garages as we speak. Service team just mention the price without flinching! Still its only money....
For pete's sake you can't leave us like that we need to know the exact model, which type of gearbox' how many miles you've done etc.

This is too much i will now go boil my head.
C2 VTS, 5 speed manual, 22k miles 06 Reg, mainly motorway driving. Vivre the qualite francais'
Thanks for that head cooling in the freezer.

I assume the clutch is slipping for you to need a replacement.
But your mileage and use doesn't sound like you should have worn out a normal clutch.
And to be fair the clutch is quite fierce on these, with enough engine torque that you wouldn't really need to slip the clutch unless racing starts were your norm.

I'd be wanting a good look at the clutch after removal from the car to see if its worn out or has got contaminated.

In other words i'd be looking for at least a contribution from Citroen, maybe not a good idea to let someone else poke about with it.

Sorry if i'm talking out of turn here.
Price about right for 6-7 hours of main dealer time in cheaper part of the country.

Clutch has obviously failed early - so retain parts for inspection. I would lobby Citroen for a contribution, if not full payout.
Replacement Clutch - guess how much? - PhilW
Summat wrong here - only 22k on a clutch?
Son has a C2 (1.4 HDi)- done about 40 or 50 k in it , no probs whatsoever bar a brake clean to stop squeaking. We've had Cits for 20 years one did 170k, next 140k, 2 did about 100k, a couple of other done well over your mileage, and we tow a caravan and not had to replace a clutch yet.
Aprilia is quite right (as usual!)
--
Phil
Replacement Clutch - guess how much? - bignick2
book time for replacing clutch on C2 1.4 sensodrive with stop start system is 6.1 hrs
clutch kit around £125
6.1hrs @ £80 - £488

613 + vat

labour rates may be considerably higher in some areas - I have heard of as much as £150 per hour in parts of London

Edited by bignick2 on 05/11/2007 at 15:32

Replacement Clutch - guess how much? - daisy222
I have a citroen c2 1.4 sensor drive and my cluth has just failed me..... i was told by my local garage (not main dealer) that the book time to change one is 6.1 hours and he would charge £327 inclusive of vat foe parts and labour....i was quite shocked at that but reading between the lines he sounds like a bargain to me!!!
Replacement Clutch - guess how much? - L'escargot
I'm pleased I've got a Focus ~ just over £400 at a Ford dealer, if and when I ever need it doing.

Edited by L'escargot on 24/11/2008 at 07:52

Replacement Clutch - guess how much? - MVP
Buying cheap often ends-up costing more - I would rather buy a quality second hand car than a cheap French make.

But I guess most people aren't interested in quality, they prefer new and shiny

MVP

Replacement Clutch - guess how much? - Fougere
Clutches last a long time nowadays. My 10 year old Synergie had a busy life but was sold at almost 100000 miles with its original clutch as good as new.