04 1.6 petrol automatic, cutting out - lucya22
Hi
I have a Ford Fusion automatic 04 plate, I have had it since march this year. The problem I have with it is that when Im driving it just cuts out, sometimes im doing speeds of 30mph sometimes im doing 60mph, I will be driving along and it suddenly cuts out and jolts to a stop nearly causing a crash. I am baffled as its an automatic and it seems strange to cut out. I have taken it to ford where I bought it from twice now, the first time the said they changed some part on it and it wouldn't happen again, few weeks down the line it did it again. I took it back last week and they now want it for a week to keep test driving it. I have been told by my uncle it could be an airlock in the petrol tank. When i do open the petrol cap to fill up loads of air comes out, more than what happened with my Focus before.
Please try and help me out and give me some idea of what it could be.
Thanks
Lucy

Lucy your e-mail address removed for your own protection, engine details would be useful for our resident experts.

engine details edited in- PU
{Typo in header amended - DD}

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 03/11/2007 at 13:22

04 1.6 pterol automatic, cutting out - Screwloose
Lucy

OK; you're driving along at a steady speed and the engine suddenly cuts - exactly what do you notice?

Odd lights coming up on the dash? Backfiring from the exhaust? Jolting every time - or a smooth progression to a stop?

Once stopped, is the engine still idling? If not; how do you get it going again? Is this difficult; does it take a period of time?

What fault-codes - if any - have the garage found? What have they replaced? [It should say on the invoice.]

Sorry for all the questions; but full information is the best foundation for diagnosis.
04 1.6 pterol automatic, cutting out - lucya22
Hiya

When it cuts out i notice nothing, no lights clome on the dash, no back firing. It does sometimes feel a little bit sluggish before it happens.

Once stoppped the lights come on the dash that would when you have turned the key twice (just before starting), it always starts back up straight away no problems.

The garage havent found any fault codes and havent found anything wrong as yet, it went in last week and they said nothing was wrong with it but i kicked up a fuss as my 10 month old daughter always has to travel in it and they agreed to give me a courtesy car for a week ( that starts monday coming).

Im not sure what they replaced last time as they didnt give me an invoice it is stored on the garage computer so could ring them on monday and find out what they replaced.

Dont worry about asking question I just need some idea of whats wrong.

Thanks
Lucy

Hmmm... An engine that cuts out but leaves no codes is a pain; but at least it narrows it down a bit.

The sluggishness is important too; some things that can cut an engine dead are on-or-off perpetrators - they don't do warnings. The instant re-start is a vital clue too.

There is an odd fault that you could already have noticed. A stuck tank-breather [EVAP] valve can over-vacuum the tank and suck the plastic tank floor up on to the fuel inlet. The moment the engine stops, that corrects itself.

It will depend on whether that air you hear when you remove the cap is going in or coming out; do you notice a wave of petrol fumes, or resistance in removing the cap?

Does this fault occur more with a full tank than with an empty one? How far would you have to drive it from a cold start before it happens?
When I am turning the petrol cap to remove it I can feel theres alot of pressure behind it, to be honest I have never noticed a wave of petrol fumes.

The fault occurs at different times really, the Fusion has a digital petrol thingy and its normally when I have 3 or 4 bars left which is just below half a tank. It has happened once when I had a full tank though.

Its hard to say really how far I drive, most times it about 10-15 miles, sometimes its less.

If its the EVAP like you mentioned is it fixable.

Thanks again.
Lucy

It's interesting to note that you've never noticed fumes; if that was a positive pressure in the tank, I'd have thought that you would have.

An EVAP valve [A.K.A. canister purge valve] is an insignificant [and very replaceable] little thing tucked away in the pipework somewhere on the end of the engine.

It normally just buzzes away under ECU pulse control, allowing a tiny bit of the inlet manifold vacuum to draw benzine fumes from the tank to be burned through the engine instead of vented to atmosphere through the tank breather.

Should it stick open [it's basically an electromagnet and a pin] then too much vacuum overwhelms the tank breather's flow capacity [another thing that needs checking] and a negative pressure occurs in the tank.

That is certainly one possible cause of the problem. It fits the observations nicely; but.....

Edited by Screwloose on 03/11/2007 at 15:38

Thank you for your help, I will report back once its been in next week, I will also look out for the smell of fumes when openeing the petrol cap, it might just be ive never noticed them.

Thanks again.
Ford have had my car for 5 days now, and THINK it might be the petrol sensor, they wont now until they take the tank out on monday. Is this expensive to fix?

Thanks
lucy

Whazza "petrol sensor" when it's at home? A fuel level sensor? Anyone else smell bullshine?

Do they seriously think the gauge was misreading and you've been running out of fuel?
04 1.6 pterol automatic, cutting out - yorkiebar
Screwloose, I don't do this site any more, but occasionally read it to see what goes on (and repeats on other forums) but totally agree with your thoughts especially last 1. And they need to take the tank out ?

Lucya, did you know the mileage of the car when it went to garage? If so compare it to when it comes out to see how much of a road test it has been given!

Also make sure you tell them that if it doesn't sort it, then they will refund any charge for the petrol sensor (part and labour).

Give them the chance to sort it, its only fair. But if it doesnt, suggest printing all this thread off and taking it to them to ask for their comments on it?

Best of luck.

I'm off again.

Edited by yorkiebar on 09/11/2007 at 17:51

Yorkie

Nice to have your input again. I've been struggling away without you.

Do feel free to drop in - and out - again whenever you can.
04 1.6 pterol automatic, cutting out - Sprice
I'm off again.

For someone who was never coming back you're certainly hanging around alot.
Hi

Yeah I think it was a fuel level sensor, i personally think they are messing me about, on thursday they told me they cant find anything wrong with it then friday they ring me and say it could be that sensor. Do they need to tank fuel tank apart to find this? They do think the gauge was misreading by the sounds of it. Im just getting so mad with them now!
If it is this part is in pricey?

Thanks for everyones comments!

Lucy
lucy

Well; the only way that a fuel level sensor can stop a car is if it fools you into running out of petrol. It's going to need a bit of a leap to explain how it did it with a full tank....?

I detect the sound of desperate guesswork going on..... Has the tech dealing with it actually asked you any detailed questions; or is he just going by the jobsheet that probably only says "Cuts out."

Book time to change the sensor is 1 hour including tank-out - pricewise it's pick a number.
Hi Screwloose

No he hasnt asked any questions at all, hes just going on the sheet, i think they might be desperatly guessing becasue i have threated trading standards and legal advice. I have emailed the main Ford garage to seek advice but no reply, not suprised really.

Thanks
04 1.6 petrol automatic, cutting out - Montymonts
Having the same problem with my 05 1.6 automatic, have there been any further developements.?
06 1.6 petrol automatic, cutting out - tanjon
Hi,
My parents Fusion also cuts out whilst driving and can be started immediately after the car has ground to a halt and stopped c others who have had this problem fixed please post here what the cause of their problem was.
Many thanks!