Private plate on a company car? - NoodleDoodle
My partner has a special birthday coming up and I want to get him a private plate for his car. I have have my own views on private plates, but he likes them and would like something that means something to him personally, and stops the car being dated, rather than one that spells a word, if that makes sense.

His car is a company car but is leased from the manufacturer, not through a leasing company.

If I buy him a plate as a surprise, he will be able to use it wont he? Or do you have to keep the number plate you are given when it's a company car? What happens at the end of the lease, as the plate will be his? Will the car revert back to it's previous reg? I know his boss wont have any objections.

Please tell me if it's not going to be possible. I don't want to spend money on something he can't use.
Private plate on a company car? - hxj

You need to check the rules. Some will allow it, some won't. Ours will, but you can get into deep do dos if you have anything other than legally correct plates
Private plate on a company car? - henry k
Do not forget the cost of transfer onto the car and onto the next car or retention.
There maybe a charge to change the insurance details.
Not sure if the current car can revert to its orginal no at the end else yet another set of plates to be purchased. Ask the DVLA.

Private plate on a company car? - bell boy
just keep the old plates dvla would rather you put it back on these if you tell them the old reg,unless someone wants to buy them that is while they are in compmentis

Private plate on a company car? - Doc
Only the registered keeper of a vehicle is entitled to apply to transfer its registration number.

Private plate on a company car? - Pugugly {P}
Hi Noodle,

Welcome to the BR (I'm mod number 4 !)

Yes I successfully kept a personal plate on a company car (well cars) for twenty years., never any problem. It may mean speaking to the Fleet Manager....

Private plate on a company car? - Altea Ego
My fleet forbids it. Not allowed under any circumstances.

Is not the kind of thing you can spring on hubby as a suprise, you need to check his fleet rules.
------------------------------
< Ex RF, Ex TVM >
Private plate on a company car? - bell boy
you could just give hubby the retension stiffcat
that way
he might just go out and buy a locust to put it on
mm
locust

edit stuck a u in

Edited by bell boy on 02/11/2007 at 23:09

Private plate on a company car? - JamesH
Checking with the fleet manager but also higher up may be needed.

My mum did the same for my dad several years ago now, just buying the plate as a surprise but with no particular vehicle for it to go on.

A few years later, my dad was due a new company car and wanted his plate to go on. In his position the cars were purchased outright, compared to leases for less senior staff, and the fleet manager agreed the plate transfer. However, a few weeks before delivery someone more senior vetoed it.

It was got around by turning the company car into an opt-out private purchase (in my mum's name to go with the plate) and the plate went on. I believe the top dog was unimpressed when my dad first drove it to work but being my parent's own car there was nothing he could do.

In the OP's situation, the lease could cause a lot more complication.
Private plate on a company car? - ziggy
Checking with the fleet manager but also higher up may be needed.
My mum did the same for my dad several years ago now just buying the
plate as a surprise but with no particular vehicle for it to go on.
A few years later my dad was due a new company car and wanted his
plate to go on. In his position the cars were purchased outright compared to leases
for less senior staff and the fleet manager agreed the plate transfer. However a few
weeks before delivery someone more senior vetoed it.

I guess this jobsworth didn't have a real job to do, other than deciding somebody could not have a private plate

Really, why on earth would they care..?

Private plate on a company car? - rtj70
If it's a lease car then the answer is probably no. They will have too many vehicles to sort this.

If the company owns the car then it's maybe possible.