Heater not working - only blowing cold air. - lydias
Hi All,

My heaters has stopped working in my Ka, it will only blow completly cold air, i was wondering if it might be an electrical problem as it feels like it is an electronic dial for hot air on the Ka not a mechanical linkage, i was also wondering if it has some sort of fuse that may have blown or the like because it simply happen over night, the air didnt get cooler it just went from hot to cold!!!

Any help would be more than welcome as it is very nippy on the way to work.

Thanks
Lydia

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 02/11/2007 at 12:23

Heaters - Screwloose
Lydia

It could well be the heater control valve located under a black plastic cover, on the bulkhead, at the back of the engine bay.

Checking the coolant level is a wise first move - just in case.
Heaters - lydias
I have checked the coolant level and its fine, is the heater control valve very difficult to locate or access and is the a way i can check if that is the problem.

Lydia
Heaters - Rattle
Very easy to access its in the bulkhead, you will see two pipes going into it, then out of it again. Check there is a voltage to the electrical connector, should be 12v when the dial is on hot.

Ceck both pipes are warm, if not then and you have 12v its most likely the heater control valve. Will cost around £40 from Ford.

However the dials DO also go wrong on these cars, mine has gone as only 12v is getting ot the new HCV so the result is hot air all the time.

I am replying to this every day from various people! My GF has the same problem with her Ka,.
Heaters - lydias
I have checked the wire going to the valve and it is showing 12volts, i have also checked the pipes going into the car, as you look at the bulkhead the pipe on the left is hot the pipe on the right is cold, I take it that that confirms the valve is the likely cause.
Heaters - Rattle
99% sure, its exactly how I tested mine :). This problem is so common that it would be unlikley to be anything else, the fact you get 12v at least means the control panal is at least trying to open the valve.

Make sure you get the correct batch of valve, I think its 98F (others will help you out with that).

Edit it could be perhas be a leak or a matrix failure too but try the valve first especialy if there is no signs of a leak.

Edited by Rattle on 02/11/2007 at 13:08

Heaters - lydias
I have got somebody to by pass the heater control valve on the bulkhead, so it should now just blow hot air but it still does not work!! I have flushed the heater matrix through and water passed through so it is not blocked any other ideas that may stop the flow of water through the heater matrix ???
Heaters - piston power
Did you get all the air out? if any left in matrix it will be cold.
Heaters - lydias
We ran the hose through it to make sure it had water in, is the a special way to do it to make sure the air is out ???
Heaters - piston power
when at normal temp take off the top hose of the matrix just a little so water & any air can come out don't pull the pipe off!
This should expell any air in the matrix.
Heaters - Chris1905
I just replaced my heater control valve last week and it now works a treat! It is a common fault in ford cars and the bloke where I brought it from said 'these are flying off the shelves!'

It was a bit trciky as you have the plastic shield on the bulkhead to contend with. After that, the pipes did not come off easily, as they were old, but once they did come off, the new valve went on a treat!
Heaters - MandiJ
"However the dials DO also go wrong on these cars, mine has gone as only 12v is getting ot the new HCV so the result is hot air all the time"

My daughter's Ka is doing this - garage has told me that it is the valve but this is normally blowing out cold not hot as her's is - what is the solution?
Heaters - eric drewe

My KA's heater is also stuck on cold, I also have an issue with the tailgate not opening Could these be a fuse issue? I will test all fuses today and post back if I find the fault/faults. But if anyone knows for sure any reply will be appreciated

Regards

Eric