2001 1.0 - CVT auto - fluid top-up - Dulwich Estate
I have the task of giving maintenance advice for a 6-year old 37k miles Micra 1.0 with the CVT auto.

It's had a FSH but I can't see any record of CVT fluid changes. Presumably it needs one from time to time. Audi were most insistant I got mine changed on the A4 multitronic at 40k miles.

Any other advice, apart from "don't buy one, they always go wrong" ?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/11/2007 at 12:35

2001 1.0 - CVT auto - fluid top-up - bell boy
change at 6 years the schedule says time 1.6 hours
no idea how to do it
after the last time i did a manual box top up on these it has to be done through the speedo drive,seriously
2001 1.0 - CVT auto - fluid top-up - bathtub tom
>>manual box top up on these it has to be done through the speedo drive

Been there, done that, got the T-shirt.
I had to drain a manual one of these for a drive-shaft job. I wasn't looking forward to re-filling it through the speedo drive, but someone here recomended warming the oil first. I was surprised how a little heat thinned the oil.
So far the apparent difficulty suggests to me it has never been done. It's got a dip-stick to check the level, so that seems a reasonable way to put some in - but what about getting it out in the first place. Maybe it's a Haynes manual for Christmas.
2001 1.0 - CVT auto - fluid top-up - Aprilia
IIRC there is a very obvious big drain plug on the transmission. You refill via the dipstick tube.
These transmissions take a special CVT fluid, don't fill with Dexron. Go to the Nissan dealer and buy their OE CVT fluid - its not cheap. You need about a gallon for a drain & refill.
Thanks Aprilia - that's precisely what we'll do. What do I mean "we" when I know darned well it's going to be me.

PS After a long study of the handbook, which as usual covers every modal variant known, it confirms that you top up the fluid via the dipstick hole - they call it "charging tube".
2001 1.0 - CVT auto - fluid top-up - baklava
The oil pan on the transmission only holds about 2.5 litres, this is approximately half of the total fluid. For a thorough change you would need to do a 3x drain and refill, I used to just drain and refill once a year using an oil extractor. The dipstick can give varying levels after filling through the dipstick and I found it easier just to measure how much came out and put the same amount back in. The Nissan n-cvt fluid was about £7+vat a litre IIRC