Pug 405 TD Cat - BrianW
Having had my 1996 Pug TD services this week, I am informed that the cat is blowing and needs replacing at a cost of £275 excluding fitting.
Apparently as it is a late 405, few of them were fitted with cats, they are as rare as hens teeth and it could take up to a fortnight to get one in.
Am I being swung a line, is the cost reasonable, are pattern parts available and could a non-cat system be fitted without major engine management reprogramming?
Pug 405 TD Cat - M.M
Brian,

I'm not saying they are wrong but I wouldn't have expected a cat on that year/model.

Assuming it does have one though there is no pattern item in the listing I use. Just one for the petrol vehicle at around £210 +vat and postage.

In similar circumstances I have made some very crafty repairs to expensive exhaust components to give them another year or more.

A cat is usually made to a far heavier standard than a normal silencer so a repair can be worthwhile.

Good luck with it.

David W
Pug 405 TD Cat - BrianW
Thanks, David
There definitely is a cat and I've had a look underneath. The weld between the down-pipe and the cat has opened up to what feels like an alarming extent when you put your hand over the hole.
I found a local mobile welder guy in Yellow Pages so he is coming tomorrow afternoon to have a go at re-welding the joint.i've asked the kids to get him to look at an identical problem on one of the scooters where a new exhaust is £90+ at the same time!
I'll report on the success once he's been.
We are off on holiday next week and I don't want the exhaust dropping off half way down the M4!
Pug 405 TD Cat - BrianW
Success
Car and scooter both welded up for £52, saving £350+ against replacements, cheaper even than changing the car front section for a non-cat version.
Thanks, guys.
Pug 405 TD Cat - JohnD
Hi Brian - Yours must be a hybrid 405. Looking through my library of Diesel Car Magazines for 1996, I can't find any turbo 405's listed with EGR/CAT.
Pug 405 TD Cat - jud
Remove it, HJ says diesels don't need one.
Pug 405 TD Cat - Matt
I agree with Jud-no need for the blighter-get rid. I had the same problem on my 306 diesel (same engine) and very cheaply had it replaced with piping!
Pug 405 TD Cat - BrianW
I agree.
I think I'll get it welded for the time being and ditch it if and when something else goes.