'00 1.7dti Intermittant high speed running problem - curleyboy1
Hi. I have a 2000 (X) 1.7 dti Astra and have had a running problem for a few weeks. The problem seems to arise after or during high speed runs, ie above 70mph. OK.... I know I shouldnt be doing it but its my licence and Ive never been caught speeding in 30 yrs. During the high speed run the engine management light comes on, the engine seems to stumble/miss and looses power slightly. After lifting off the throttle and then letting the engine have an easy time of it, the light goes out and it goes back to normal. The engines done 229,000 miles, uses no oil, doesnt rattle, has enough power and is serviced regularly. The fault codes were read and didnt show anything up as obviously the problem dissapears at slow speed. All filters, oil changed 1 week ago and its still there.......anyone with any ideas please.

engine and year inserted

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 29/10/2007 at 19:37

'00 1.7dti Intermittant high speed running problem - fireblade
Hi i am having the exact same problems as you are having with your 1.7dti, just wondering if you have solved the problem and if so what was the cure .

Many thanks Gordon
'00 1.7dti Intermittant high speed running problem - topbloke
if the management light comes on then a code will,repeat will !! be stored even if the light go's off, what machine are the codes being read with
Tech 2 from local vauxhall garage. The codes that have come up so far are po110 intake air temp voltage high which the vaux mechanic says it points to the mass air flow meter but I had a new one fitted 18 months ago and I have tried a mass meter off a donor car today and have still got the same problem the other 2 codes are po216 critical system malfunction 1 + 2. I have read loads of reports on the net which states that the diesel pump ecu is causing loads of probs with these engines but they can be repaired for a fraction of the cost of a new one any suggestions. Thanks
forgot to mention also that when the light comes on I lose power and the engine tone changes to a seriosly noisy diesel engine but only sometimes. the fault only happens when doing dual carrageway speed 70mph, if i stop and turn engine off then back on it is fine until i do 70mph ish again ????????????????????????????????????????? Help please
this is the engine with two ecu's one by the pump and one on top of the engine( can you confirm, long day, so many engines !!!!! ) the pump, one normally has a spill valve code and this stops the engine intermitant, that is the only problem that i come across
thats right this isuzu engine in the astra has 2 ecu's but the one i am led to believe that causes problems is the one which is bolted by 4 bolts to the rear of the diesel pump. Again I have come across comments on the net that the spill valve code is definately a problem which shows up when that ecu is at fault. I have got the car back in the garage tomorrow for a more definate answer to what codes are stored and what parts they are pointing at?
'00 1.7dti Intermittant high speed running problem - Screwloose

Before it went "Critical;" P0216 was "Fuel injection timing control solenoid - circuit malfunction."

That might fit with the engine harshness.
what part on the engine would that relate to ?
sorry what I meant to say after realising you had told me the part. Where on the engine would this be and how can it be checked?
yep it changes the point of injection its a sort of pinking, there is a (fix) for these ecu's drop me your email address and i will send some info
inside the pump
tait.g@btopenworld.com
'00 1.7dti Intermittant high speed running problem - Raman
Hi topbloke, can you send me the info as well, if you don;t mind. Are you refering to re-flowing the soldered joints in the ECU, which is bolted to the pump??
Thanks
Raman58@hotmail.com
yes basically
I have had the car in to vaux garage this morning and still have the same problem, they are telling me that the code is pointing the problem towards a fault on the crankshaft timing sensor which in turn is making the car lose power intermitintly and also make the engine have a diesel knock / pinking type of noise> I am taking it back to garage to have the sensor fitted tomorrow, does this sound like it could cause my problems

Cheers
Gordon
they either work or they dont i have seen intermitant ones but usually kills the engine and don't restart untill its cooled down,suppose you have to start somewhere, good luck hope it works did they give you the fault code number !!!!!!!!!!!!!!
I think the code is still po216 but this is the next step before i consider getting the deisel pump ecu refurbished which i still understand to be a big problem on these engines as well as the crankshaft timing sensors??????????????
'00 1.7dti Intermittant high speed running problem - e-bgd
Hi,

I have the same problem on the same car. At the and what was the result.
Crankshaft timing sensors or deisel pump ecu.
Thnks
'00 1.7dti Intermittant high speed running problem - arthurbridge
Hi,

Did you fix your car & what part did you replace ?

Cheers james

Ps. I have the same problem with my vehicle.