MOT new plate regulations 1st Oct 2007 - Artic
Just read this week's Honest John column in the Telegraph: tinyurl.com/33urse

==
My wife's 2002 Jaguar X-type went for a service and MoT recently. All was in good order, but an advisory notice was issued to tell us the "rear number plate might fail the next MoT". How can this be?
D.B., Norwich

# Number plates delaminate. Once the numbers start to become obscured, it's an MoT failure.
==

Just wanted to point out another reason the advisory might have been issued is due to new MOT regulations for registration plates which came in force 1st October 2007.

Source: tinyurl.com/yrh6nv (Auto Express: MoT clampdown on reg plates)

QUOTE: "Plates fitted to models registered after 1 September 2001 that arent embossed with the name and postcode of the supplier and BS AU145d British Standard symbol will result in an automatic failure. The move is designed to make it easy for testers to spot non-road-legal show plates, as these dont have a BS symbol."

Also press release at VOSA tinyurl.com/2qlzdy (with additional PDF document link from that page for other complying issues for plates.)

I know 2 people who've failed on their plates this month due to no postcode or no British Standard symbol on the plates, even though the plates came with their cars, brand new are unaltered from the dealer's, on Year 2002 models.

And from what I can tell having looked around a bit on my travels, alot of people are gonna fall foul of these MOT regulations come the busiest testing times. I reckon it's a good idea to check your plates before you go, cause it can be a right hassle with retests / paying again ect.

PS:- I searched forums and saw that Dwight Van Driver mentioned the new regulations a few weeks ago, but he didn't seem to state what's needed to comply with them.
MOT new plate regulations 1st Oct 2007 - Dwight Van Driver
Artic

Requirements are at

www.tinyurl.com/m7v5

Have yet to see the SI with anything additional.

dvd
MOT new plate regulations 1st Oct 2007 - rtj70
My 53 plate Mondeo that went back to the lease company last week with it's original plates did not have a postcode on them. The rear one replaced as it delaminated and did have a postcode.
MOT new plate regulations 1st Oct 2007 - horatio
Well I read through that SI, and found no reference to the BSAU 145d required to be printed onto the plate. Or the name and postcode of the plate issuer to be on the plate.
MOT new plate regulations 1st Oct 2007 - L'escargot
......... "Plates fitted to models registered after 1 September 2001 that arent embossed with the
name and postcode of the supplier and BS AU145d British Standard symbol will ........

Does the information really have to be "embossed" on the plate. If it does then plate manufacturers will need a new technology for plastic plates.
My current plates will fail on the grounds that they are completely flat and haven't got the BS symbol. I assume by supplier it means the car suppplier not the plate supplier.

--
L\'escargot.
MOT new plate regulations 1st Oct 2007 - martint123
I assume by supplier it means the car suppplier not the plate supplier.

No, the plate maker.
MOT new plate regulations 1st Oct 2007 - L'escargot
I assume by supplier it means the car suppplier not the plate supplier.
No the plate maker.

Another point of failure for mine!
--
L\'escargot.
MOT new plate regulations 1st Oct 2007 - rtj70
I think many cars are about to fail MOTs. My wife's car (2001 model) has the name and postcode of the supplier as did my previous Mondeo. Also checked couple cars on the street and they would also all fail. Garages used to advertise themselves.

The new Mazda6 at first I thought also had illegal plates - thought the BS display would be a logo but it's just the text. But are they possibly illegal? - the postcode is that of the lease company (Leaseplan) but maybe with such a large fleet they make their own plates. The supplier name is VGroup International though.
How would the MOT tester know if John's cars - Bristol - postcode made and supplied thier own plates or not?

Some dealers used to put a sticky label over the original plate bottom edge to advertise themselves, presumably you could peel such a label off?

I have sent VOSA an email asking if it is the intention of the new rules that testers should fail cars for having tiny logos ( such as "Ford", "FIAT", "leaseplan", "Bowers cars" etc etc) along the bottom edge as part of the plate suppliers printed details.
Another point of failure for mine!

Unless the car supplier supplied the plates as well
It could also be because all cars registered after Sept 2001 need to have number plates in the new font 79mm high. A lot of people are transferring their personal plates from their pre 2001 cars straight onto their post 2001 cars.

Pre 2001 cars are allowed to have the old font 89mm high
Post 2001 cars have to have the new font 79mm high and you could fail an MOT or be fined £30 if stopped on the highway. Persistant offending could lead to a confiscation of your personal number.

"Embossed" means 'raised' right? So a simple punching machine would be no good? Sounds very silly to me. But if the plastic will deform enough to leave raised text when a suitable punch is used, then fair enough.

I'd also like to know if the questioner in the OP post had his car tested before Oct 2007 ?

Edited by horatio on 29/10/2007 at 09:55

MOT new plate regulations 1st Oct 2007 - mfarrow
www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/CONT072565.pdf

From VOSA. Doesn't say anything about embossing. I think it's been translated wrongly.

--------------
Mike Farrow
......and are not likely to be misread due to damage, deterioration or because they are obscured (by a tow ball for example).

Excellent.
MOT new plate regulations 1st Oct 2007 - Ruperts Trooper
They aren't new number plate regulations, in the sense of Construction & Use Regulations, it's a stricter form of MOT test intended to "police" the existing regulations with more zealour.

It's a pointless change in MOT regulations - those that deliberately use non-standard plates will simply fit legal ones for the test and then revert to illegal ones the rest of the year!
On another forum, a user has said when he returned to the dealer to complain that his car when sold to him new was not fitted with legal plates (no bsau 145d) was told that the regulations for these 'new' regulations were not in force. ????? How can that be true?

And what should we all be doing/saying - in the event that these regulations were in force from Sept 2001 - to these car dealers who supplied cars (new or used) with illegal number plates, that now fail the MOT. They may not have failed the MOT before but surely the regulations were there since Sept 2001, so these companies have supplied cars with illegal plates.
MOT new plate regulations 1st Oct 2007 - jbif
Hello Horatio.

Is there any other source, apart from the VOSA leaflet,
www.vosa.gov.uk/vosacorp/repository/CONT072565.pdf
where it is stated that the BS AU 145d mark and the plate Supplier's Name and Postcode have to be shown?
The Statutory Instrument www.tinyurl.com/m7v5 (link provided earlier by DVD above) does not seem to mention the BS marking nor need for the Postcode and Supplier's Name.

(By the way, Horatio, have you spotted the edit button I just used to edit this note?)

Edited by jbif on 29/10/2007 at 13:27

Is there any other source, apart from the VOSA leaflet,

www.dvla.gov.uk/vehicles/number_plates_registratio...x

The British Standard also requires that a number plate must be marked with the following
information: -
The British Standard Number (currently BS AU 145d)
The name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer or component
supplier. (The company who actually make the number plate.)
The name and postcode of the supplying outlet. (The 'supplying outlet' is taken to mean a
company whose business consists wholly or partly of selling number plates.)
A non-reflective border and the Euro-symbol with the national identification letters are
optional additions.
There shall be no other markings or material contained on the number plate.
Further information about the British Standards requirements can be obtained at www.bsi-global.com/

MOT new plate regulations 1st Oct 2007 - Dwight Van Driver
Road Vehicles (Display of Registration Marks) Regs 2001

Schedule 1 :-

VEHICLES REGISTERED AND NEW REGISTRATION PLATES FITTED ON OR AFTER 1ST
SEPTEMBER 2001 (MANDATORY SPECIFICATION)

1. The plate must be made of retroreflecting material which, as regards its construction, colour and
other qualities, complies with the requirements of?
(a) the British Standard specification for retroreflecting number plates published on 15 January
1998 under number BS AU 145d(a), or
(b) any other relevant standard or specification recognised for use in an EEA State and which, when
in use, offers a performance equivalent to that offered by a plate complying with the British
Standard specification,
and which, in either case, IS MARKED WITH THE NUMBER (or such other information as is necessary to permit
identification)OF THAT STANDARD OR SPECIFICATION..

The British Standard also requires that a number plate must be marked with the following information: -

The British Standard Number (currently BS AU 145d)

The name, trade mark, or other means of identification of the manufacturer or componentsupplier. (The company who actually make the number plate.)

The name and postcode of the supplying outlet.

(The 'supplying outlet' is taken to mean a company whose business consists wholly or partly of selling number plates.)

A non-reflective border and the Euro-symbol with the national identification letters are optional additions.

There shall be no other markings or material contained on the number plate

.Further information about the British Standards requirements can be obtained at www.bsi-global.com.

(Snap Martin?)

dvd