1998 1.8T 'mayonaise' in Header Tank - Dr Rubber
A friend has just brought a V reg 1.8T Sharan with 90k on the clock. I was checking it over for him and noticed that there was a thick layer of "mayonnaise" on top of the coolant in the expansion tank. However there was no sign of any under the oil filler cap, and the oil has not been changed that recently by the look of it.

First thought is a blown head gasket, but other than a tendancy to get hot a bit quick (it does not overheat) it drives fine. Any other ideas?

Also any maintenance tips for this motor? It has unknown service history for the last 2 years so I guess the cambelt and water pump is near the top of the list.

TIA

Joe

SLT

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 28/10/2007 at 20:05

1998 1.8T 'mayonaise' in Header Tank - Screwloose
Joe

Suspect the oil cooler is leaking.
1998 1.8T 'mayonaise' in Header Tank - Collos25
Short runs and lack of oil changes lead to mayo forming not just blown head gasgets.
1998 1.8T 'mayonaise' in Header Tank - RichardW
"Short runs and lack of oil changes lead to mayo forming not just blown head gasgets"

Yeah, but not in the coolant header tank.....
--
RichardW

Is it illogical? It must be Citroen....
1998 1.8T 'mayonaise' in Header Tank - Peter D
As screwloose says, Oil cooler leak in the rad. Regards Peter
Thanks for the replys. I'll report back
Joe
Oil cooler replaced FOC by trader.
Thanks for the help
Joe
1998 1.8T 'mayonaise' in Header Tank - Portybellyfelly
If its of any consequence ,ive got a well used 1.8T with 205,000klms on the clock, and its still very perky . It has an LPG Conversion which helps to keep the costs down . It doesnt have the roof bars which i miss and could make use off . The only slight problem is the gas deposit tank is inside the boot at the back, so no loading washing machines etc in the rear door . I find the vehicle is so well designed and comfortable with no shortage of power.
Living in a sunny part of Portugal , the interior roofing fabric looses its grip and sags in places.
. I would like to know the trick in getting some fabric glue behind the material without cutting an access hole? Maybe a syringe with fabric glue,??

I would reccomend this type of vehicle as a versatile sporty family vehicle ,great in town and on long runs with excellent handling qualities on curvy mountain roads .
Glad you got that Mayonaise problem solved. (Was it Heinze 57?)
. I got worried when i lost coolant thinking the worst but there is a fairly complex plastcic Branch junction pipe somewhere near the thermostat with wires to it that had a distorted flange with age ,so it needed replaced.