Yaris Verso replacement - Cardew
SWMBO has an automatic Toyota Yaris Verso which she loves to bits; as it appears does everyone who owns one - it has come top of just about every owner satisfaction survey and Which just gave it as a 'best buy' for a second hand car.

However it is now well into its seventh year and it appears Toyota are not importing the Ractis which is based on the new Yaris and available in the Far East. So we are thinking of a new car replacement.

Her requirements:

Smallish - but bigger than her current car will not be a problem.

'Proper' automatic.

Ease of access to drivers seat(hip problem) and at back for dog.

Looks obviously don't matter. As an aside I never ceased to be amazed at much emphasis people place on a car's appearance.

From my point of view, reliability is of paramount importance, which I suppose rules out French cars! Fuel economy not a factor and would much prefer petrol to diesel.

It might come to just running on the Yaris for a few more years, and accept it might need some major repairs, if there are no better options.

Any ideas?
Yaris Verso replacement - 1066
keep the yaris until you get bills and then px. best of both worlds
Yaris Verso replacement - Steamdrivenandy
SWMBO has an automatic Toyota Yaris Verso which she loves to bits; as it appears does everyone who owns one - it has come top of just about every owner satisfaction survey and Which just gave it as a 'best buy' for a second hand car. However it is now well into its seventh year and it appears Toyota are not importing the Ractis which is based on the new Yaris and available in the Far East. So we are thinking of a new car replacement. Her requirements: Smallish - but bigger than her current car will not be a problem. 'Proper' automatic. Ease of access to drivers seat(hip problem) and at back for dog. Looks obviously don't matter. As an aside I never ceased to be amazed at much emphasis people place on a car's appearance. From my point of view, reliability is of paramount importance, which I suppose rules out French cars! Fuel economy not a factor and would much prefer petrol to diesel. It might come to just running on the Yaris for a few more years, and accept it might need some major repairs, if there are no better options. Any ideas?

Gracious me this message was written 5 years ago and virtually paraphrases our situation. We've had our current Yaris Verso for 6 years and one before that for 3 years. We think they're great but as our current one is now in its 9th year it could start getting problems.
I'm searching for a replacement with a low rear sill as the Mrs is a choral director and has to haul heavily laden cases of music etc in and out several times a week. It needs to be a proper automatic and preferably under 4m long and 1.4 litres or less.
I've looked at the Verso S but it's very expensive and I don't like the sound of reports saying the auto is very noisy.
Any suggestions?

Yaris Verso replacement - Auristocrat

Honda Jazz ES - comes with a CVT transmission

Mmmm, I've wondered about the Jazz, our son-in-law has a new one and our next door neighbour has just purchased his second one. The Honda dealers are the first garage we come to on the way in to Crewe, so it could be a good bet. Thanks, we'll give that serious consideration.

Yaris Verso replacement - Happy Blue!

Hyundai ix25 or the Kia Venga.

I presume it's the ix20 and Kia Venga to which you're referring and as the owner of a Cee'd SW I'm quite taken with their range and our local Kia dealership, but they're both over 4m long and use a 1.6 litre engine for the autobox. Real life fuel consumption is a bit high too compared to the 1.3 and 1.4 litre autobox options available.

Yaris Verso replacement - madf

Honda Jazz ES - comes with a CVT transmission

I will second and third that. Just bought a six month old one with 300miles on clock .

Nice comfortable ride, incredibly spacious and very very quiet. CVT is lovely with fuel consumption better than the manual..

If buying new, 5 years free servcing for £199 and APR 0% loans are not to be missed.

Vertu Hinda (Stratstone) are unbeatable new and scecondhamd for price. (I saved over 20% off list).Worth travelling to Leeds for that alone. Highly recommended.

Edit: CVT is a slush auto with a 7 speed CVT.. excellent.

I'm in North Stoke - Biddulph so if you want to see mine, just PM me..via mods.

Edited by madf on 29/10/2012 at 13:44

I remember driving one of the original CVT Jazzes when we lived in Yorkshire and a local guy was a salesman in the Harrogate Honda dealership. I was impressed then but the Yaris Verso won out.

As I say both my son-in-law and my next door neighbour have almost new Jazzes, so I can easily get a close look, however both are manuals.

Yaris Verso replacement - Canon Fodder

new Ford B-Max? Can't comment on the rear sill bit though. HJ reviews it here, so perhaps take a look.

Yaris Verso replacement - gordonbennet

Trust Madf's recommendation, he's done all the research possible and bought Jazz over another trusted Toyota (sales bods must hate him, they've never had to answer so many question so truthfully..;), he's nearly sold me on one too..;)

Yaris Verso replacement - unthrottled

I thought you were going all trendy and new-age and opting for a hybrid madf?

What's the economy like compared to the Yaris?

Yaris Verso replacement - sandy56

Suzuki Swift do a proper automatic and it a rather good car.

I've always had a soft spot for the Swift but looking at HJs pics and the stats on Autotrader that boot is just too tiny (and deep as well). Also our local Suzuki dealership in Newcastle under Lyme closed down earlier this year and moved to new premises but I'm blowed if I've noticed where they are. That was a good move then, not. Also can't get my head around them appearing to offer both 1.2 and 1.5 litre autobox options?

I thought you were going all trendy and new-age and opting for a hybrid madf?

What's the economy like compared to the Yaris?

Not going trendy : I AM trendy... if you count losing your hair.. As for new age, I keep bees and do yoga. What more do you want? Too cold here for kaftans: thermals are better..

Yairs hybrid - in FLAT conditions - 55-65mpg. The saleman driving one near us got 50-55. He lives in Macclesfield. I hilly country, you will not get better than c 55mpg as the battery capacity is limited...

The Jazzz 1.4 Auto should average 48mpg...

The issue is: you can buy a near new 1.4Honda Jazz ES CVT auto with under 2k miles for under £12,500. The lowest used price on a Hybrid T4 Yaris is c £15k. The Jazz comes with at least 3 years free servicing. Pay on Yaris. Otherwise the specs are nearly identical...OK the Jazz RFL is £100 and the Yaris nil... but £2.5k buys a LOT of petrol.

The Jazz is much quiter - about 66db versus Yaris 71 - from memory!.. At 60mph the Yaris is very noisy. The Jazz is far more comfortable suspension wise..As for interior space, Jazz wins by a KO...

Edited by madf on 30/10/2012 at 06:48

The B-Max looks good, although again the autobox is only on the 1.6 litre engine and it's longer than the 4m by a tad. Looking at the pics the rear sill is nice and low and the boot floor is level with it which is good. Realistically there are only going to be new ones about and they list at just over £17,000 for the cheapest auto which is a bit too rich for me. I notice that some dealerships are offering discounts to £16,000 or so but that's still too much.

Yaris Verso replacement - Happy Blue!

It is amazing at how long cars are today.

My S-Max with seven seats and loads of room is about 4.75m long. I think that is pretty long. But I was having a look online at the seven seat BMW X5 and the Mercedes R-Class. The latter is 40cm longer at 5.15m. That is simply huge!

Why do small cars need to be so big? I remember five of use (I was a child) taking a road trip with luggage in Tunisia in Fiat 850 in about 1973. We all fitted in.

It is amazing at how long cars are today.

My S-Max with seven seats and loads of room is about 4.75m long. I think that is pretty long. But I was having a look online at the seven seat BMW X5 and the Mercedes R-Class. The latter is 40cm longer at 5.15m. That is simply huge!

Why do small cars need to be so big? I remember five of use (I was a child) taking a road trip with luggage in Tunisia in Fiat 850 in about 1973. We all fitted in.

The Jazz is 0.3metres longer than my Mark1 Yaris. It's the same length as the new yaris.

Aerodynamics and passenger safety of course mean longer bonnets..on smaller cars.

There are small cars about and they can be quite roomy. While my Cee'd was in for service last week our Kia dealer lent me a new Picanto auto. It's 3.6m long, comfortably seats four, very well made and kitted out. It would've suited Mrs SDA a treat except the boot was too small and too deep for her purposes.

I too remember a road trip in a Fiat 850, but in 1967/8 I think, down through Devon and Cornwall with 4 six footers and pulling a trailer with our camping gear. Our neighbours son-in-law has just got a new BMW 5 series GT which looks enormous, and there's only mum, dad and two 7/10 year old boys and a small dog. Should think they rattle in it.

Talking of road trips, my favourite was in '72 in my '64 1071cc Cooper S. Me and a mate down through France, over the Pyrenees to Benidorm. Boot full of tent and back seat loaded to the roof with gear. Great times.

Yaris Verso replacement - unthrottled

It's hardly fair to compare a Fiat 850 to an S-Max or a BMW X5 in terms of size!

Cars have put on inches and pounds over the years, but in some ways are more efficient in their use of volume.

Rear wheel saloons (which are about the most inefficient users of floor space) have largely been superceded by front drive estates.