Timing belt change - catalyst2
I need to have my timing belt replaced on my Mazda Tribute as it is approaching 5 yrs old(35,000 mls), might seem early but I've had my fingers burnt before and prefer to pre-empt any problems now by changing belt early.

How do I know how much I should be charged? (Mazda main dealer is quoting me £400)

How long is that job?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/10/2007 at 20:11

Timing belt change - dxp55
Not sure what a Tribute is but I have a Xedos 9 Supercharged V6 and main Mazda dealers quoted me £400 which I thought was very reasonable when you look what's under the bonnet -- just changing the plugs is 1 1/2 hrs - The Xedos has a safe engine so check to see if yours has.

Dave
Thanks, is there a website where we can check how long routine jobs are supposed to take?

What's a "safe engine"? (an engine that's totally encased?)
Timing belt change - dxp55
Your service book should give mileage at which belt should be changed -- a safe engine is one where if cam belt snaps the valves don't whack pistons so just new belt required basically.
I just ring Mazda dealer and ask service dept
Thanks for that.
Timing belt change - Aprilia
As I posted in the 'Technical' section, I'm pretty sure that your Mazda uses the old Ford 2-litre lump and is interference. On the Fords they used to say 10 year/100k mi., although that always seemed a bit optimistic.
Any independent garage ought to be able to tackle the job. I would reckon on around 2 hours. Depending on where you live in the country should be a £200-ish job, parts & labour.
Timing belt change - rebel
According to my information, the Mazda Tribute will have a 3 litre V6 engine and it's four cams are driven by chains. (Ford engine I suspect)
My Tribute is a 2L and has a timing belt, but I take it now after reading various posts, etc. that it doesn't need changing until next year at least (has only done 35,000). What I'd like to know though is:

1) In terms of years, when should you change a timing belt? (I thought, maybe wrongly that 4-5 yrs was the right time regardless of mileage)

2) Is the engine on the Tribute GXi is "free running" or "interference"? The familycar.com says "free running" but others on here say it is "interference".