Does an oily bonnet mean a trouble car? - Rattle
What I mean by this every time I open my bonnet I get covered in oil, every part seems to be covered in it. My old Fiesta I would never get oil on my hands just bits of dirt.

Could this be that mahcnaics hands have bene all over it? Or is due to for a vallet?

This just something I am pondering on hence its not in technical.
Does an oily bonnet mean a trouble car? - henry k
Have you checked the oil level?

If so are you regularly adding oil ?
How much and how frequently?

Or else get a mechanic to give you advice.

The only time I have had oil all over the engine compartment, my car was put on a low loader and I fitted a new engine.
Does an oily bonnet mean a trouble car? - bell boy
oil filler cap left off at some period?
breather blocked/split?
oil fairies living under the air filter?
Possibly only had the car two months so wouldn't know. Breather seems fine and no obvious signs of leaks, just a very very minor on the rocker cover but its an old leak from what I can tell.

Only done one oil change in the car since I had it so its too early to say how much oil its burning, done about 400 miles since it was done and doesn't appear to have lost any oil yet. It just seems to be every where, I touch a multiplug and get black hands, on my old car I could rewire a cable and still have clean hands.
Does an oily bonnet mean a trouble car? - Screwloose
Rattle

Contrary to popular belief; mechanics do not exude copious quantities of lubricating oil from their hands [or anywhere else] and if you engine is oily, then that oil will likely have come from a can.

Many engine bays are waxy from anti-corrosive protectants; a good, prolonged, steam-clean will bring it up like new.

It may not run - but it will look like new.

There does seem to be no rust at all on any of the engine components so wax does make sense. And as mentioned above no oil leaks.

It was just a general pondering rather than a technical question as I know the oil is not leaking.

I won't bother cleaning it unless its a show car I think its pointless.
Does an oily bonnet mean a trouble car? - J Bonington Jagworth
"oily bonnet"

When Mrs JBJ comes back from the car with oil on her bonnet, there's usually trouble.. :-)
Does an oily bonnet mean a trouble car? - L'escargot
........ every time I open my bonnet I get covered in
oil every part seems to be covered in it.

Why not just clean it and then see what happens?
--
L\'escargot.