'Horrendous' depreciation, Volume 2. - Murphy The Cat
Months and months go by and the pleasure from owning & driving Arnie is as good as ever.

Also rather splendid is the residual values that the car is carrying.

This article tinyurl.com/2qlo8o makes mention that a 2 year old 300C CRD with 30000 miles on it is worth 67% of what the owner paid, which given the doom and gloom that the motoring trade / motoring press said when the car was launched, is one in the eye.

It also mentions that a 525D (the sensible choice) would only be worth 62% of its original value - and that the 525D is a lot dearer, and a lot lower specced.

time to go again

MTC

Split into two volumes due to the length of the other. Vol 1 Can be found here:-

www.honestjohn.co.uk/forum/post/index.htm?v=e&t=47...9

Welcome back by the way

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 26/10/2007 at 18:53

'Horrendous' depreciation Vol 2. - Aprilia
Best of luck with it.
Chrysler is a lame-duck company. Recently had all their global dealers together in Las Vegas to announce cut backs to range and dealers will be dropped.

Can't see that CJ has much of a future in UK. Chrysler summer regs down about 15% and Jeep down about 8%. Range is confused - who is buying Avenger/Sebring? Calliber? Poor image, poor driving dynamics which disappoint customers. Kia Sportage better than the Patriot and for a few £k less. Interiors remind me of a Moskvich. 300C has very niche appeal .
Dealers being burned by stocking charges. CJ UK are currently throwing money at the brand and can prop up used values by inflating trade-ins due to the small number of cars traded, but this cannot go on for much longer. No future for CJ UK now its outside of DaimlerBenz I think.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 26/10/2007 at 18:54

'Horrendous' depreciation Vol 2. - Pugugly {P}
Stop sniping for goodness sake ! :-)
'Horrendous' depreciation Vol 2. - Aprilia
That's not sniping, that's telling it like it is. Not sniping at the 300C - its the best car in the range. But CJ UK have major problems that are well known throughout the motor trade, dealers are struggling to survive - and isn't that kind of information what this forum is about?

Aprilla, sorry my reply ended up in the wrong place not aimed at your post but about some posts that have now been removed, you weren't to know and neither was anyone else; not very good editing. I was called to the phone whilst editing ! - sorry...

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 26/10/2007 at 19:13

'Horrendous' depreciation Vol 2. - OldSock
Thanks for your e-mail, PU.

I take great exception to your accusation that I would do something so 'childish' as to alter the subject line of the original posting. The original title was (sic) 'Horrendous Chrysler 300C:depreciation' I don't think there was even a 'Volume 2' moniker. The colon was certainly there when I first saw the thread otherwise my witty repost would have been pointless.

I was not even aware that the title could be changed - indeed surely this should only be possible by Moderators, otherwise the entire meaning and intent of a thread could be altered by anyone of a 'childish disposition'.

'Horrendous' depreciation Vol 2. - OldSock
Perhaps I should have checked the link (can't remember that being there originally) to discover where the 'rogue' colon originated. Perhaps it should have been removed before starting a second volume?

Thanks, Will.... :-)
'Horrendous' depreciation Vol 2. - rtj70
The 300C is based on the previous E-Class chassis. Outside of the folds of Mercedes how much do they pay to use this IPR? And the diesel engine is Mercedes too. Profit margins probably less than zero now but were good before the split.

Same probably will happen to Aston Martin but at least with premium prices there may be margin to make money.

I like the car. Wished I could afford one in diesel trim.
'Horrendous' depreciation, Volume 2. - pendulum
Martin Ward, manufacturer relationship manager for CAP, said: "A two-year-old diesel >> Chrysler 300C with 30,000 miles on the clock is worth 67 per cent of the £25,750 it cost >> when new.

I'll never buy cars new, for as long as losing over 8k a year in depreciation alone is considered good! :o)
'Horrendous' depreciation, Volume 2. - NARU
I'll never buy cars new for as long as losing over 8k a year in
depreciation alone is considered good! :o)

I make that £4k/year. (£8k over two years).
'Horrendous' depreciation, Volume 2. - pendulum
Dear oh dear. My error.
'Horrendous' depreciation, Volume 2. - Martin Devon
SNIPQUOTE!
I make that £4k/year. (£8k over two years).

Still Eighty quid a week though.

MD

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 28/10/2007 at 14:23

'Horrendous' depreciation, Volume 2. - moulder
Well I get my 300c CRD touring with lux pack on Thursday :-) I chose hearse black , so will be interested to see how it turns out!

I work for MB and DBenz still own over 20% so I think the margin is still there for Chrysler. The deal is mainly effecting the US at the moment. Its unlikely to affect the UK for another year or so I reckon. Same staff, same shared HQ at the moment so we will wait and see. Its a huge company and change takes time.

MTC did you get a Startech Grille, or buy one of the ones off of ebay? Easy to fit or did you get the dealer to do it? Was there any hack sawing involved as I have to give it back mint in 9 months!! I'm hoping you will say ebay and just a few clips....

Edited by moulder on 26/10/2007 at 20:05

Well I get my 300c CRD touring with lux pack on Thursday :-) I chose
hearse black so will be interested to see how it turns out!

MTC did you get a Startech Grille or buy one of the ones off of
ebay? Easy to fit or did you get the dealer to do it? Was there
any hack sawing involved as I have to give it back mint in 9 months!!
I'm hoping you will say ebay and just a few clips....

If my experience is anything to go by, then you'll love it I just hope that you enjoy car washing !

As for the grille, I brought it back with me from America and mine is the E&G Classics with Centre bar, plus, I got the lower vent covers as well. I think that it is the only one in the UK that is set up like this. As for fitting, my dealer did it for me as part of the purchase deal.

Sadly, I can't tell you how hard/easy it was to fit the grille, but I know of a website where someone would be able to help you. Its an American site, but it has a very active UK/european section.

Admins, I don't know what the rules are regarding other motoring forums, is it OK for me to post the addy ?

MTC

p.s, Pugugly. Thanks for the welcome back. I have kept looking in from time to time, but I've been a little bit put off from posting by the attitude that some posters show to non-regulars. I'll give it a go again and see how it goes
'Horrendous' depreciation, Volume 2. - Aprilia
Moulder

You work for a franchised dealer then? Do you really think Chrylser can make a go of it in the UK? Currently they offer the following range of models, all for less than 1% of market share:
Patriot, Compass, Cherokee, Grand Cherokee, Wrangler, Sebring (saloon & convertable), Voyager, Grand Voyager, 300C, 300C Touring, Crossfire, Caliber, Nitro, Avenger.
Imagine being a dealer and having to sell and support that lot...Lots of different engines and drivetrains to support in service/parts. The overheads must be tremendous. Most of the brands with very low market share stick to just a couple of models or have common engines/drivetrains.

Its a serious question BTW, I'm not trying to be sarcastic. I'd like to know what you think. It just looks a bit too overwhelming to me. I wouldn't fancy investing in a Chrysler dealership right now (and I notice they came one from bottom in recent NFDA survey).
'Horrendous' depreciation, Volume 2. - madf
The Chrysler dealership in Stoke on Trent _ Cuomo (sp?) - appear to be doing well. new showrooms, expanding every 2-3 years.

Don't know what models they are selling: see a few new jeeps but only 1 300C

(and Stoke used to be a dump but these days I see a Brand new Ferrari every day driving into Stoke so there is quitealotofmoney there now).

Lots of Grand Voyagers..

I believe Cuomo are one of -if not the best - performing Chrysler UK dealerships... but I guess in volume terms they must be small beer. I would imagine the local MB dealership is 3 to 5 times their size in volume and 10-20 in value.

madf
'Horrendous' depreciation, Volume 2. - rtj70
"and Stoke used to be a dump but these days I see a Brand new Ferrari every day driving into Stoke so there is quitealotofmoney there now"

Don't get your point really. A car driving past/through/anywhere does not mean anything to me. A Bugatti Veyron could be blocking my drive but it doesn't mean anything. I get off topic I know. A Ferraru driving into Stoke (dump or not) means it drove from somewhere else ;-) Somewhere in Cheshire probably.
'Horrendous' depreciation, Volume 2. - moulder
Thanks for that MTC - I think I'll give the ebay one a go and see what happens! As for the car washing, thats what Friday afternoons are for, we've got a hot water industrial pressure washer, so its no big deal. That black colour isnt too bad, I've got it on my Grand Cherrokee at the mo and its ok.

Aprillia, Yes I do, for a MB dealer though, so I don'tknow about the intricasies of a Chrysler dealers finances. What I would say though is that a franchised dealers money is mainly out of aftersales rather than sales, and a great deal of that is from Warranty work..... i.e. the manufacturer is the dealers biggest customer. Dealers make their money from parts purchases and vehicle purchases from the manufacturer and they are converted into bonuses. Lots of dealers (not mine thankfully ) rely on the bouses and make a loss on sales. Therefore those that dont meet target tend to go bankrupt very quickly. I'm sure this is the same accross most brands. As for the range, I can only comment on my experiences. Grand cherookee is fine, in fact very good, although not as refined as the ML but for the price very good. 300c I will let you know! From the dealers point of view I cant see why the extensive range would be a problem. the vehicles are well documented in electronic diagnosis literature and so knowledge is no big deal. The only detriment of a non standard drive train and engine range is the lack of immediate stock, although most "vehicle off road" parts can be obtained from Milton Keynes within 24 hours.

I'm not an average 300c customer as I pay a subsidised rental for the vehicle, but I like the looks, don't care what others think, will not feel inferior next to MB's or BMW's (thats marketing playing with your brain). Do you know what my biggest concern is? No parking sensors on the front! Other than that who cares - looks nice, good price, fantastic equipment, mb engine, mb auto box, mostly mb suspension etc.... am I bovvered :-)

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/10/2007 at 20:17

'Horrendous' depreciation, Volume 2. - Aprilia
Aprillia Yes I do for a MB dealer though so I don'tknow about the intricasies
of a Chrysler dealers finances. What I would say though is that a franchised dealers
money is mainly out of aftersales rather than sales and a great deal of that
is from Warranty work..... i.e. the manufacturer is the dealers biggest customer.

Hmmm.. This might be true of the likes of Renault, but a lot of manufacturers (mainly Japanese) have very low warranty claim rates. Any Toyota, Honda or Subaru dealer hoping to make money out of warranty work will be very disappointed. Warranty work tends to be reimbursed at a much lower labour rate than retail work, often its only 'break even'.

>>I cant see why the extensive range
would be a problem. the vehicles are well documented in electronic diagnosis literature and so
knowledge is no big deal. The only detriment of a non standard drive train and
engine range is the lack of immediate stock although most "vehicle off road" parts can
be obtained from Milton Keynes within 24 hours.

A big range of vehicles is a problem. Whilst electronic service data is readily available actually using the data is another matter, it becomes very demanding for the technicians to develop expertise. This is particularly true when the dealer is small and can only aford to employ a couple of guys. Technicians need to be trained on the product, and with greater product diversity that means more time spent training and keeping up with TSB's etc. Its much easier on the techs if the manufacturer limits the range of product - e.g. Subaru techs have it easy because bascially every car they see is designed the same. That leads to fast and accurate diagnosis and repair, which makes for happy customers.

My own experience of parts supply is that Mercedes has always been excellent and generally arrive next day. Chrysler is the exact opposite and parts can take ages to arrive and be very expensive. They also allow parts to go obsolete on anything over about 6 years old - thats the 'American way' I think.
'Horrendous' depreciation, Volume 2. - bell boy
Chrysler is the exact opposite and parts can take ages to arrive and be very expensive.
>>>>>>>
>>>>>>>>>friend has a chrysler pt cruiser, dealer wanted £500 for a pair of headlights (rhd lenses so no use ordering from the usa direct) so dealer only and hard to obtain he was told,he ended buying some chav lights for half the price,i darent even mention the price of a front bumper cover.

mtc ive said before i love these cars ,they have such presence on todays roads against all the other blog mobiles........enjoy and happy motoring
'Horrendous' depreciation, Volume 2. - greenhey
It's the motoring equivalent of wearing one of those Norman Wisdom caps and having your trousers around your backside.
I was in Mayfair today ( go there all the time , don't you know) amd one came through the traffic , surrounded by MBs,BMs, Audis. If ithad been mine I'd have been so embarassed.

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/11/2007 at 18:51

It's the motoring equivalent of wearing one of those Norman Wisdom caps and having your
trousers around your backside.

Hey, thats a new one, I've never heard that before.
Don't worry about it, Audi, BMW & MB drivers are often embarrassed at having to drive a certain brand of car, because that is what 'is expected' of them.

Thankfully, there are still people in the UK who drive what they want/like and who aren't too fussed about things like that - and equally as welcome, Chrysler have made a car that suits them down to the ground.

MTC

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 01/11/2007 at 18:51

'Horrendous' depreciation, Volume 2. - tr7v8
I still like the look of the 300C & I must admit I did consider one before I bought the S-Type, but it'd just a fraction too big & I'd always aspired to the Jag anyway.
Quite a few 300C & Tourings around in Kent, so obviously Whitehouse are doing OK.
Jim

54 Jaguar S-Type 2.7 SE Diesel
87 Porsche 944 Lux 2.5
80 TR7V8
As the actress said to the Bishop "it certainly is a big one isn't it - but I'm sure that I'll get used to it in time"

MTC
'Horrendous' depreciation, Volume 2. - pd
I like the 300/300C (at least I do when I drive them in the USA) and the diesels are holding their price - although more seem to be creeping through auction in the last month and the prices struggling compared to before but still very good.

The rest of the range though is a bit of a disaster. Cut off from mainstream Mercedes diesels and chassis I really think they will struggle to build any sort of cohesive range in Europe. This week's Autocar review of the Dodge version of the Sebring (forget the name) sums it all up. You can get a new shape Mondeo for £16k so why on earth would anyone buy a Dodge.
'Horrendous' depreciation, Volume 2. - Nsar
Can I just say that it always lightens the mood of the BR when Murphy shows up. I wouldn't choose a 300C but it's good to hear from someone whose car gives him so much pleasure and can take the jibes and taunts of others with such good humour.

Anyway enough of these pleasantries, how's your white fedora and crimson suit these days MTC? :)
Heres a funny thing for you - the ONLY place that I've ever had any jibes or taunts is in the place. In the real world I get nothing but people coming up to me to say positive things about the car, maybe because they are usually Joe Public, rather than PetrolHeads.
I've had the car for nearly 2 years now (&32000 miles0 & i still get an enormous pleasure out of every trip - that has to be a good thing, doesn't it.

& my experience is not unique amongst 300C owners. Via another website I chat regularly with other owners (who have mostly come out of MB or BMWs) and as a group we are very, very satisfied with the cat/purchase.

However, owning a 300C does have one very serious drawback --- don't ever, ever go somewhere where you're not supposed to be, or be with someone that you shouldn't be, because if you're seem you will be remembered.

as for the fedora/crimson suit, nah, thats so 2006. Its Hawaiin shirts & Bermuda shorts for 2007 !!!!

MTC

p.s. is anyone interested in actual running costs etc for the big fella ?

Edited by Dynamic Dave on 27/10/2007 at 14:43

'Horrendous' depreciation, Volume 2. - Pugugly {P}
"the cat" ?? :-)
well those cars do purr
"the cat" ?? :-)

I was going to make the old joke about putting your right foot down and the car going meeoaoooooooowwww, but I guess that when you are in a hole, you should stop digging.

I know that I've not posted for a while, but is their an edit function that posters can use ?

MTC

see you later on, I'm just taking my baby daughter and toddler son out for a drive - you see, as well as everything else, its a great family car. My son has huge kudos when I collect him from nursery in it ;))
MTC
You have a five minute edit window now ! Sorry I couldn't resist it :-)
'Horrendous' depreciation, Volume 2. - oilrag
What was that truck that Chris Eubank used to drive around in :)
What was that truck that Chris Eubank used to drive around in :)

Iw an errr, truck
MTC
Peterbilt 379 truck cab

One of them according to a certain on-line encyclopaedia.

Edited by Pugugly {P} on 27/10/2007 at 19:49

'Horrendous' depreciation, Volume 2. - Lud
Peterbilt 379 truck cab

Probably capable of 100-plus on a motorway too, if a bit unwieldy for the back streets of Brighton.
'Horrendous' depreciation, Volume 2. - Big Bad Dave
"surrounded by MBs, BMs, Audis"

Yawn.

The thing about these cars... they're kind of like Radiohead. Probably very good at what they do - just wouldn't want to be associated with the kind of people who are fans of theirs.

300C any day thanks.
"surrounded by ...............Audis"
300C any day thanks.

On my doorstep I have an Audi dealership and an Audi salesman that I'm quite friendly with. Everytime they have a new model Audi come out, I get invited to come down and have a look.
No thanks, I always say, I'm happy with what I've got
Nooo, says the Audi salesman, come down and see the latest model and see what you could be driving (tongue in cheek AND with a smile)

So I take Arnie down, park up in his forecourt and look at his offerings for a few minutes ----- and then spend the next 15 minutes talking to Audi owners who've asked me about the big black car that I'm driving. What is it. What is it like to drive. Do you get used to something that big. My goodness its huge compared to (insert expensive & small Audi model here) etc, etc.

But he does keep inviting me back !!!!!!

MTC
'Horrendous' depreciation, Volume 2. - The_Flexible_Flaw
Third post on the HJ forums. I have a car problem.

Out for a walk a few months ago, I came across a couple and their dog about to go for a walk. They had a 300C Estate. Of course I had to initiate a discussion about it. They chose the wire mesh grille that referred to as 'a Bentley grille'.

I told them of the LTT 300C Estate CAR Magazine had run by a Rock Band Manager and British car addict Jamie Kitman. He was touring the states in the 300C Estate with a band he promotoes. He took out a telegraph pole in it. Everyone survived without major injury. The pole made a bit of a mess of the windscreen and roof.

I drive a £350 banger bought from eBay in June '06 - but hey flew through the MoT in April, just needed rear plate bulbs, and taking it on a long run taking advantage of NU's free insurance for a week offer took it for a long run with the intention of disposing by auction if any faults came to light. Anyway returning west through the New Forest we came up behind a black 300C Saloon. My pensioner mother pipes up "Mind that big thing". They get noticed.

The glasshouse has that customised 'chopped' look. Like that car from Juggernaut. A bit Sopranos?

You don't see one of those everyday.
'Horrendous' depreciation, Volume 2. - oilrag
Saw one with the chicken wire grill in Bridlington last week
The glasshouse has that customised 'chopped' look
>>>>
>>>>>>>> good one ,thats the thought that comes to my mind when i see one of these in black,a neat custom on wheels is how i would describe it.
I've never thought of it that way before !!

I saw a 300C in Midnight Blue for the first time on the road today, in completely untouched showroom condition, It looked really, really nice, but softer that a Black 300C in some way and less imposing.

MTC